1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

new truck

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Doug406, Apr 1, 2000.

1. Doug406

Doug406 Member

Well I sold my 86 chevy today. No time for the hobby anymore. Which truck would you guys recommend? I need to plow and pull a 24' enclosed all summer. Chevy, Ford , Dodge , deisel, v10 ? It will be new. Will 3 -36 warrenty cover snowplowing destructions? Lawn Care, no dump box needed.<br>

2. GeoffD

GeoffD PlowSite.com Veteran

Well here we go:<br>Dino, ALAN, John, and some other guys will say chevy.<br>ME, Todd, and the guy from Ny snowpros and Phil will say ford<br>Bill the lawn guy will say Dodge,<p>I don't know what the rest will say, but those are my predictions.<p>Ok my first question is do you want a pick-up or dump truck.<p>I think for towing you will want a diesel right off now question about it. I know Ford will cover the 3/36 even with a snowplow on the truck, i am not sure about the other manufactures, but i think they will.<p>My recomendation would be a 1 ton truck, either pick-up or dump truck to plow and tow. However if you want to put a v-box in the truck i would say maybe look at a Ford F 450 or 550. There is only about $ 1000.00 dollar price difference between the 450 and 550 so I would go for the 550.<p>You might want to even get dual rear wheels on a pick-up, depending on the weight of the 24' trailer.<p>Here are my two recomendations: <p>Pick up:<p>F 350 4X4<br>Diesel <br>Snowplow Prep<br>Auto<br>Max GVW package<br>Trialer Tow Package<br>XL Packge with XL add on group: this gives you wheel covers, crome bumpers, cloth seat, ect.<br>Air<br>Towing Mirrors<br>9' Diamond Plow<p>Dump Truck<p>F 550 or F 350<br>4X4<br>Disel<br>Trailer Tow Package<br>Snow Plow Package<br>XL Package and XL add on group, crome bumpers, cloth seat, wheel covers.<br>Auto<br>Air<br>Towing Mirros I think they are standard<br>3-4 Yard Rugby Dump Body<br>9' Fisher MC Plow.<br>V-Box<p>Ok i know there are going to be other configurations presented by other guys. I know Ford produces good truck, they have always worked well for me. I will also admit that chevy/gmc makes good truck i had a GMC 1500 that i beat hard. I honestly don't know much about dodge, but haven't heard much good. The way i see it with new trucks, is they are all nice when they run, but all suck when they break. <p>If you are a little on the tall side like myself 6'4&quot; with a size 16 foot, i think you will like the Ford SD cab. I have test driven some chevys and really couldn't fit in the cab. I think no matter what truck you buy, you will like and have good luck with it, i just suggest the Fords.<p>Geoff<p>

3. steveair

steveair Senior Member

Very right on the interior size of the chevys. Unless you get the extended cab.<br>Everytime I get in ours at work, I try to put the seat back, and bam, nothing. I still even catch myself getting out and folding the seat down to make sure theres nothing stuck back there. <p>As for brands, I am a chevy man, but because of the way the fords look, I would have to go with either a 450 or 550. To me, if your gonna buy a 350 and spend that kind of money, then why not spend a little more and get the ford 450 or 550 which seems to have a lot more utility, payload, etc. than any other truck out there today. Untill chevy or dodge come out with something new, the fords seem the way to go.

4. Lazer

Lazer Senior Member

550 7.3L

5. John DiMartino

John DiMartino PlowSite.com Veteran

If you are buying a DRW/or cab and chassis,a agree with Geoff's truck choice,no one has a better rig than Ford for noe,no matter how much I hate to admit it.Now if you want a pickup,price will be your guide.If you want a tough and easy to use truck that will not kill the wallet,and drives like a car-but can out haul a ford and dodge,go with a 2500 HD or 3500 GMC/Chevy with vortec 5700.If your trailer is real heavy,over 7000-and you travel a long distance you might be better off with a diesel.I have found enclosed trailers really drag a lot and my Cummins pulls them with ease,while gassers strain and bog on hills.If you go diesel,in a dodge you can get the snow plow prep in all 2500/3500 4x4's STD or Quad cab.A Ford can only handle plow with STD cab and diesel.A Dodge will turn inside a Ford by a big margin,very agile for a big truck.A Ford will be easier to find on the lot and your likely to get a better deal on one than a dodge.Neither will heat up in the morning without working them,drive it to warm it up.Dont even consider a 6.5 GM diesel,they are being phased out and wont pull over 8000 LBs anyway without voiding warranty.So if you want gas,GM is the best motor with the proven chassis,the best auto's but no cab room,Its a trade off either way.Who has the best service in your area-that and how far will you have to go to get it fixed,they will all break sooner or later.If you are buying a 3/4 diesel P/u,ford or dodge-they are both payload challenged.Both weigh about 7000 empty,add plow+tools+2 guys and a couple salt bags and your overweight.If your putting a V-box in it get a F550,best choice period.It will tow anything too,just not the best for driveways.Good luck and try them all,pick the one you like best.<p>----------<br>John D<br>

6. columbiaplower

columbiaplower Senior Member

ford f350<br>desiel<br>dual wheels<br>ex cab a must<br>What work do you do?<br>If its landscape a dump is a must<p>Geoff i love ford as much as you do, (just to let you know) <p>-Nick

7. plowking35

plowking35 2000 Club Member
    from SE CT

As far as I know all manufactures will honer warranties on properly equipped trucks.<br>I also have to(albeit grudgingly)that if you need payload, get the 550, and get the diesel.I know Geoff says that they have improved the trannies,but only time will tell.<br>If you can wait till the end of the year, GM will have the best engine and tranny combos available in the light truck market. Whether you get the new duramax diesel or the new 8.1 gas you will get the most powerfull in its class engine and a t-1000 allison 5 sp auto tranny.<br>If you want a diesel with an stick get the dodge, nothing beats a cummins with a 5 or six speed. Bullet proof, only prob its wrapped in a dodge. Also its a dying breed, soon the b series may not be avaiable in new dodges.<br>If you need a truck now, and a gass engine is ok, look at a GM. I have seen a 8600gvw K-2500 with auto ac plow prep and locking dif, appearance up grade for 21,500.<br>And a k-3500 same options for 22,500.<br>As far as diesel vs gas, if you trade the truck every 5 yrs or less, the diesel option will never pay off. And they power difference is negligable. I know other will disagree but 4K for an engine option from ford or dodge is alot of money.<br>Now we all know that the 6.5 is not offered in 2001,but if you want a good diesel(not great, but good)at a very good price(my option was only $ 1200)look into the 6.5. They have added alot of new mods to the 6.5 since 97 and they are very reliable now, and are competitive with power and torque. <br>I heard today the GM has topped the fortune 500 list for all companies as the biggest and dropped ford to #4.<br>GO GENERALL<br>Dino<p>----------<br> Professional Ice and Snow Management <br>Products:Services:Equipment www.sima.org

8. n y snow pros

n y snow pros Senior Member

well all that can be said has been mentioned and i dont want to add to the power struggle here on which truck is best.but i will add my 2 cents anyway.We have always had chevy and gmc and had good luck with them.We bought 2 fords this year and i have to say i like them better than the gm product.What i notice about all of our gm trucks was the ride regardless of gvw,gas or basic model to deluxe,the ride was always the same very smooth and comfortable.But in the Fords the ride was definitely different from gas to diesal and xl to xlt.The fords i refer to are srw 350s and the ride in the gas truck is hard and you feel it,but the ride in the diesel is perfect in fact it is the most comfortable ride we have ever experienced.The diesel adds the wieght and makes the difference in the ride noticably better.I have to admit i have been changed to a ford beleiver but only in trucks and thats light duty trucks only ie 150 to 550 class.So now that i have added to the dilemma of which truck to buy,i beleive it comes down to 2 factors.1 your own personal preference and how big your wallet is because i think they are all great trucks,they can all do the jobs you require from a truck and they all cost way too much.

9. thelawnguy

thelawnguy PlowSite.com Addict

Do you need a dump, or just a pickup? You really need to try them out yourself, to see what fits you best. If its a pickup youre going for, any of the three are decent, if its gas engine Dodge and GM have the edge, diesel Ford and Dodge are better choice. If its a small dump under 11,000gvw go with dodge or ford, the chevy front axles dont have high enough weight rating to really mount up a plow meaty enough for the truck. If you want a truck over 11,000 check out the Freightliner and Navistar, you get a helluva lot more for your money than you can with F450/550 or GM 3500HD.<p>As usual, my opinion, yours may vary.<p>Bill

10. GeoffD

Just let us know which way go, because i bet we all want to know.<p>Geoff

11. Doug406

Doug406 Member

Well I was out test driving all day. I have been doing my research on the net. I have it narrowed down to the F350 supercab diesel or the Dodge 2500 V10,or diesel.<br> The ford has some nice options like telescoping mirrors and single rear wheels in the 1 ton (dodge must be dually) while the dealer can not find a Dodge with 7 x 10 foldout mirrors. I can't see spending 29000 and not being able to see around my trailer. I thought the Cummins had more punch and believe it or not the dodge shifted with a more possitive feel than the ford.<br> With regards to the money, yeah a diesel will cost about 3000 more, but with a lease it only increases the payment $75 because of higher residual value. And I spend about $100 a week in gas, so I should easily make out better in the total cost, with more power to boot.<br>Also, I am having a harder time finding a Ford I want than the Dodge. My dealer should be looking again in the morning.<br> Does anyone run a Boss plow on a Dodge Sport?? I do not know if the front effects will be in the way. My Boss dealer said should be no problem, but I do not think he understood what I was Talking About. Well more later. Any more ideas?

12. GeoffD

Go with the ford, i think you will like it. Phil has a truck set up just like that, maybe talk top him about it if you have any doubts. Anyways the truck should be great for plowing, and towing. The last i heard from my Ford dealer is all super duties with the snowplow prep package will be warrentied for plowing, that covers regular, extended, and crew cabs. You can't go wrong this way. Just make sure you have snowplow prep and towing package.<p>If you have any doubts on if plowing will be covered with an extended cab truck. Just go to the Ford website, www.ford.com. Spec out a truck just like you, if they won't warrenty the snowplow prep package, it won't be an option on the extended cab. <p>Geoff<br>Geoff<br>

13. Lazer

Lazer Senior Member

You'll reget plowing with a Dodge Diesel. They'll push anything, but not for long.<br>We just did our 7th Trans in our Dodge diesel. That trans can't take the Cummins torgue. I know a dozen guys who've have similar problems.<p>Wonder why Dodge transmissions are on national back-order?<p>Why wouldn't you want the big brakes and axle capacity of a 450/550?<p>Anyway, if you buy a Dodge, be sure to get the extended warranty.

14. plowking35

plowking35 2000 Club Member
    from SE CT

Watch out for the lease. Spending 100$ in fuel a week, conservatively equates to 25-30K a year on your truck. That would put you way over the mileage limits for any lease for three years. Also the amount you would save in fuel may equate to about 10$ per week, with the diesel vs gas. That means you are still 35 in the hole per month.<br>I would definatley check into the lease details extra mileage and damage to the truck at time of turn in will kill you. Or if you buy it at the end of the lease, you will pay for the truck about 1.5 times over. Most co's still have low finance rates. As far as the dodge tranny goes, in a three year lease it should be fine, but if you go for a longer term, get the ext. warranty no matter what truck you buy.<br>Dino

15. DaveO

DaveO PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Ma.

Doug,<p>You cannot get the plow pkg with a sport. The lower bumper is supposedly too low, and my dealer said &quot;plowing without plow pkg voids warranty&quot; , big surprise. The plow pkg is front springs/trans overheat light. Thats it. <p>For 2001 Dodge upped the auto to 235hp/460ft lbs. They have also changed the way the auto shifts. There is a $1k cash back on 2000's. I just bought a 2001 2500 QC, SB, Cummins with the auto. Nice truck, already getting 17+ combined mpg, and I don't baby it. Pulled an enclosed bike trailer Saturday, about 5K lbs. Didn't even feel it, never shifted out of OD even on good hills @ 80mph. I wouldn't recommend the V10, good power, but only 9-10 mpg.<p>I test drove both the Fords and Dodges. Tough choice for me. They both have pro's and con's. The auto in the Dodge concerns me, but I know of two people with new super duties who have already blown their torque converters before 1K miles, so the Fords aren't perfect either. <p>If you go for the Dodge make sure you get the plow, tow, and camper pkg's. John D. told me to get the camper pkg, he was right. It's about $100, and has the heavier springs and rear sway bar. My rear axle setup looks beefier than the F350 I tested.<p>They are all great trucks, including the GMC 6.5 I was driving yesterday. Find the one which suits you AND your budget the best, from a dealer you trust......<p>

16. thelawnguy

DaveO writes &quot;The plow pkg is front<br> springs/trans overheat light. Thats it. &quot;<p>You also get the 241HD transfer case, which otherwise is a $100 stand-alone option, and heavier-thickness drag links and tie rods. Also a different fan clutch. Plow pkg clutches engage at a lower temp than stock. You also need to buy the tow package which includes a relay for the lighting circuit instead of just running the current thru the light switch.<p>Bill

17. DaveO

DaveO PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Ma.

Bill,<p>Thanx for the corrections. I did know about the transfer case. Not about the fan clutch, front end parts, or the light relay though. How did you find this out?? <p>I love this truck. Everything on it is HD. It &quot;only&quot; has the dana 70 since it's an auto. I had to get an 8 inch drop hitch for the bike trailer, it sits a little tall. The motor keeps getting more powerful the more I work it. Seems to like being worked. Also the tranny shifts flawless, firm and quick. They are supposedly defueling during shifts, but I can't tell it.<p>It is my daily driver, so I bought it loaded. Real comfortable to drive, not too stiff for a HD suspension. Shipping tag said it weighed 6519lbs, GVW is 8800lbs. 5200 lbs front, 6084 lbs rear. If true then truck should weigh 6700lbs with me in it, leaves 2100lbs cargo. Also they changed front brakes to two piston calipers(finally). This thing stops NOW. Pulling the 5K trailer with no elect brakes was NO problem. The powerstroke was nice, not as torquey. Also had same GVW but weighed more empty(about 500lbs).<p><br>Dave

18. thelawnguy

The fan clutch, found out when I had to replace mine. The dealer had two listings, one with plow pkg, one without. The light relay is part of the towing package. Seems info like that you can only get out of the dealers spec book which they rarely bring to the showroom. Same with the steering parts. If you have the two trucks side by side the drag link is noticeably thicker. Should help hold an alignment.<p>Bill<p>PS I love my dodge. Lots of nitpicky problems but nothing that ever left me high and dry. Plow snow four seasons now, never a problem in that respect. Just change trans fluid annually regardless of mileage.

19. Alan

Alan PlowSite.com Addict

Just a thought, but on these trucks with transmission problems related to overheating, change to synthetic fliud, it stands more heat before it starts to break down. Amsoil now has a synthetic for Mopar transmissions

20. thelawnguy

Alan, the problem with the Dodge, as was pointed out in an earlier thread, is the fact that, when in Park, the trans fluid doesnt circulate thru the cooler. Trouncing the snot out of a Dodge and then stopping and putting it in park is what will ultimately kill a transmission. Unless you modify the valve body, park it in N with the e brake set to cool down. It points this out in the owners manual, though it fails to mention the reason why.<p>Bill