1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

New Truck

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by John O., May 18, 2005.

1. John O.

John O. Member

Got a new truck with mud terrains 33'' tires how will those be for plowing?
  2. T-MAN

T-MAN PlowSite.com Addict

not good, dump them and get some coopers closer to stock size
  3. vipereng2

vipereng2 Senior Member

4. John O.

John O. Member

Yeah im working on getting some pics posted why arn't they good? they have alot of tread what are the cons with these types of tires?
  5. karl klein

karl klein Senior Member

the larger the footprint the less wieght per square inch and therfore they will break loose and slide on the icee surface. i prefer the goodyear mud and snow terrain they work great with two large grooves that help to throw the snow out from the tires.
  6. justme-

justme- 2000 Club Member

they will be horrible- mud only tires have big solid lugs- you want siping for snow/ice traction- even wet road traction you want siping (the small fine groves in the tread). 33's are normally a nominal 11" wide in my experiance- also bad. Wide is bad in snow tires. Tall and narrow so you sink through the snow and get the pavement below- (2 schools of thought for mud, wide and float over like sand or narrow and sink through to the bottom.)

Get some realy snow rated tires (I prefer straight snows for plowing and straight all terraigns for summer). Goodyear workhorse Extragrips are AWESOME in snow and mud but are soft rubber- not all year tires. BFG Commercial Traction TA are very good in snow for the first half of their tread life then average (once the siping is worn off)
    For all year tires I have heard good things about BFG All Terraigns and I use Toyo Open Country for summer tires- when new (they have 50K mile treadlife) they plowed as good as the goodyears. Having them replaced under treadlife this summer)
  7. danno

danno Senior Member

Same here, If you look at my list below, I got 2 Sets of tires.