1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

New Truck

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by GeoffD, Mar 9, 2000.

1. GeoffD

GeoffD PlowSite.com Veteran

I am starting to look at buying a new truck for summer and winter work. I will either trade in a 95 F 350 or add another truck, i am not sure yet. I went to see my Ford Dealer, who i have always bought a truck from. In the past i have always bought the truck cab and chassis, and had the body installed at a truck equipment shop. The dealer will order the truck for me with out having to put a down payment on the truck or anything, so i can always see what i am buying before i buy it. This time they were really pushing me to buy a truck through Dejana ( i think thats the right name) a pooling company. Have any of you guys boughten truck through a pooling company or do you have your body and or plow installed at a truck equipment shop. One thing about buying the truck cab and chassis is that you don't pay as of high cost to register, because the body and plow isn't included in the price.<p>Geoff

2. plowking35

plowking35 2000 Club Member
    from SE CT

Geoff my truck came from a pooling co. They were great, the truck came to me better than a local body co could have done. And they sell any plow and alot of bodies co's to pull from. Plus they will probably have the type of truck you want in stock.<br>Dino <p>----------<br> Professional Ice and Snow Management <br>Products:Services:Equipment www.sima.org

3. GeoffD

Dino what type of body do ya have? I used to buy Gallio but now it only Rugby, higher quality all around.<p>Geoff

4. SLSNursery

SLSNursery PlowSite.com Veteran

Geoff - My 99 is one of the DeJana Pool trucks. As I noted previously, I usually do the same as you, order, wait, and have the local shop of my choice do the job. The DeJana truck is OK, problems with trailer wires, and fortunately they said they would work with us to make sure its ok. No backup alarm either. The 2000 I bought c&c was put together locally and I was able to have a couple of nice touches put on. On the 2000 we measured and matched the hitch set ups that I prefer, and covered the back of the frame rails. Dejana left them open on the 99, and it looks unfinished. On the 2000, I made sure to get front and rear mud flaps. DeJana's were/are crappy plastic ones and only rears. They look like a guy with one hand behind his back put them on. It always makes me think about the rest of the job, if you know what I mean. The one near the exhaust is melting now. The difference is that the personal touches I got from the local guy (who changed me over to Diamond by the way) made the truck exactly the way I expected it. The mechanic even stopped by the shop after a week to make sure everything was OK. The pool truck was close, but no AC. <p>By the way, I'm not sure it was the equipment dealer's fault on the screwed up chain for the Diamond. The chain just falls funny. I'll check it out this summer. <p>Bottom line - if I can wait, I'll have the local shop do the job. Cost wasn't really a factor.<br>----------<br>Phil Grande - Soundview Landscape Supply - http://members.aol.com/slsnursery<br>Ivy League Landscaping - http://members.aol.com/scagrider<br>

5. GeoffD

I wish i knew about this forum when i bought my other trucks, it never hurts to get imput from others. <p>Phil one thing about Ford's is they all come pre-wired for 7 wire trailer plugs. All you have to do is go to the Ford Part's Department and have them pull up the wiring specs on your truck with the tow package. This is what ya need cost around 200, but all wired together correctly and neatly.<p>7 wire plug assemply goes on the back of the truck. Cost around 70 bucks<br>Trailer Brake tap goes inside the cab. cost around 30 bucks<br>Back up light relay goes near the fues box under the hood. cost 90 bucks.<p>This way you have a complete 7 wire trailer set up that is under warrenty and works great.<p>Also i am trying to decide to get either a dump body or a rack body dump. It would haul mostly pipe, wire, and other electical components, some times stone. What do you guys think?<p>Geoff<p>

6. tru cut

tru cut PlowSite.com Veteran

geoff,<br>what are you looking for? isaw a f350 sd drw 4x4 w/ dump central hydro ,hydro sander& 8ft plow not hardley any mi for 30,000 let me know if you are interested i can give you the number of the dealer . its in western ny<p>----------<br>Todd <br>

7. GeoffD

I am not sure if this truck will plow the first year in service. It kinda depends on if i add more plowing accounts and if i keep the 95 or not ( note the 95 has 150,000 miles on it) The truck has been used hard it has a v-box in it but i think a 550 is in the works for later this year and that will take the v-box. Right now the truck will become one of the construction trucks in the summer, i want to get as much input as i can because i want this truck set up right. <p>Todd, i don't think i want another hydrolic v-box i have one in my F 650, i think i will go back to the standard engine. <p>PS 8' plow is way too small for a drw truck, at least in my mind. It might be ok on a chevy because the turning radius on a chevy beats the ford hands down everytime. My 250 HDs with 8' blades really need a 8.5' just because of the turning radius. If i buy another 3/4 ton 8.5' plow is the only thing i will use.<p>Geoff

8. plowking35

from SE CT

Geoff I have a crysteel, with sides that drop down. the truck came from Robert Greene out of Monticello NY. I am happy with the crysteel body, its a little lighter than what you would like I suppose, but that is do to the drop sides. the bodies with non drop sides are alot stouter, plus the back corner is tied into the side rails. On mine they just have pins that lock into the back corner.<br>I have been very happy with the truck, they did a class job on my rear pintel plate, they did cover the frame rails. I see alot of trucks that just have a reese type hitch bolted to the rear frame, strong enough, but looks tacky.<br>Greene also used a great undercoating that never seems likely to wear out.<br>Did they do everything, no. I installed a set of mud flaps in front of the rear wheels, and a b/u alarm, but overall they did a very nice job. <br>I would recommend them very highly. I also know that there is another pool in mass, but cant remember theor name right now.<br>If Vinnie P reads this, he will know their name.<br>Dino<p>----------<br> Professional Ice and Snow Management <br>Products:Services:Equipment www.sima.org

9. steveair

steveair Senior Member

Hey plowking, <br>We just got a chevy 350 and had the crystal body put on at monitcello too. They did a nice job, but only thing is they left a ground off somewhere for the taillights and our mechanic had to fix it real quick. Real happy with the bod though. Its not the side drop model, but the regular 8 foot, and we love it. We got the optional quick release tail gate, and <br>can't say enough for it. It's so nice not having to take those pins out of the gate anymore. Just like a pickup tailgate now, just pull the level and drop. Not real sure how the system will hold up, but guess we will find out. Just have to make sure no one drops anything real big on the middle of the gate and screws it up. Also, we have the same job in the back with the plate and receiver covering the rails. We ordered a tarp and roller from them also, and it was suppose to fit right on, but when we got it, we had to do some welding to get it in in a good spot. <br>

10. plowking35

from SE CT

I installed my own roll cover, it also took a little time, but I drilled and atpped my into place, didnt want to weld on the new truck.<br>Dino<p>----------<br> Professional Ice and Snow Management <br>Products:Services:Equipment www.sima.org

11. tru cut

tru cut PlowSite.com Veteran

geoff,<p>I just got the ad out its a 1999 super duty 8.5 western plow 7.3 deisel 14,000mi auto trans.dosent say what kind of sander just its hydro<p>----------<br>Todd <br>

12. GeoffD

Todd<p>8.5 is way to small for an F 350. Also it's a western if my Diamond dealer ever saw that he would just roll his eyes. It's bad enough i own a 10' fisher and 2 fisher v plows, and 1 old style 8'. I told the Diamond dealer as soon as Diamond has a v-plow i will be in to buy it, same thing with a 10' blade and a tip edge.<p>Hey you guys have any imput on tool boxes feel free to share. The last couple trucks i have bought i have been putting a lot more thought into how they are set up, which makes them a better truck. Some of my other trucks, i would just go and buy something a put a body on it, never thought about body lenght, types of bodies, ect.<p>Geoff

13. SLSNursery

Geoff - That 99 came with the setup you referred to. I just figured that it would work correctly out of the gate. I think I received a defective plug or Tee. But, I also don't like to work on the new trucks myself. I will have to bring it in, or find the time to pull it apart. I just figured 36K and at least the wire hookup should work. But, like I said, DeJana will send up the new part(s) as nec. <p>Bigger problems on the horizon - I got my backhoe into the woods to pull out our chipper. Now I need to get them both out before the torrential rains....... Roadbuilding at 7am tomorrow with the big loader. <p>----------<br>Phil Grande - Soundview Landscape Supply - http://members.aol.com/slsnursery<br>Ivy League Landscaping - http://members.aol.com/scagrider

14. GeoffD

Phil best of luck getting the chipper, good luck with the road. Hope the loader doesn't get stuck.<p>Thanks to everyone who gave me input on the new truck. I still would like to hear some more comments on setting the truck up. I am thinking about some toolboxes. Still haven't decided on rack body dump or just a dump body.<p>Geoff

15. paul

paul PlowSite.com Veteran

Steveair watch out for the hitch when you dump if the tailgate is all the way down, can bend the tailgate real easy. :) (my guys have) We buy pool trucks but will wait for it to be built, they have chassies waiting , last one even had the up graded seat cloth. the only trucks that I don't buy thru pools are the heavy trucks I want them built for me, air driers, air seats, cruise, motor, springs, axles, tires, trasmissions, on and on. Tool boxes I have added on by a local shop for a 10'-11' dump bed I put on two 60&quot; boxes, that way the tarps and tie downs go there and the other side gets hand tools, the guy that does the boxes all so welds on the fire exstinguser bracket so its outside of the truck. no more getting lost in the cab. Only thing haven't found away to mount are spare tires, any one have ideas on this problem(now we just call a service) <p>----------<br>paul<br>

16. thelawnguy

thelawnguy PlowSite.com Addict

Sometimes theres room in front of the headboard for a spare, depends on the application.<p>Bill

17. plowking35

from SE CT

GeoffI have the l shaped back back tool boxes with a 3-4 yd dump body. Works great, a liitle onlg for plowing, but i got used to it. Tons of storage and the long wheel base rides nice.<br>Dino<p>----------<br> Professional Ice and Snow Management <br>Products:Services:Equipment www.sima.org

18. SLSNursery

Geoff - Hoe's out, chipper's not. I'm going to grab a skidder if I can. Loader....Not Stuck! (too heavy to sneak across the swamp though)<p>Anyway to address your question - I go with the Rack Body dumps, power up and down. For the winter, I take off the tall racks, and replace them with lumber. The rack bodies with the low lumber racks can hold as much as a mason dump pound for pound. In the summer, the tall racks help for moving volumes of mulch and plants. Also - for moving pallets, the rack bodies can be loaded/unloaded with tow motors on all sides. The side door mason dumps might be a good option. We don't put toolboxes on the trucks at this point (until I am confident that they will stay neat and organized). <p>----------<br>Phil Grande - Soundview Landscape Supply - http://members.aol.com/slsnursery<br>Ivy League Landscaping - http://members.aol.com/scagrider