1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

New Truck

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Lee83, Jan 31, 2014.

1. Lee83

Lee83 Junior Member

Hey guys i am looking for some feed back. I want to purchase a new truck was wondering what i should look for. I currently plow with chevy 1500 and do residential driveways. I was wondering if i should be looking for like a 2500 hd? if so is this gonna be less wear and tear? fewer repairs? or am i just fine with a 1500? any input be appreciated

2. scott3430

scott3430 PlowSite.com Addict

How many driveways do you plow?

3. Lee83

Lee83 Junior Member

I plow 50 driveways

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 1, 2014
  4. Triton2286

Triton2286 Senior Member

Well do you feel that your current 1500 isn't doing the job as easily as you wish it would or you find yourself replacing parts pretty frequently?

Since you're already doing that many driveways you should know fairly easily what you want/need. Do you have the need for a 3/4ton the rest of the year or only for plowing?

5. CashinH&P

CashinH&P Senior Member

I plowed all last season (including the 28" blizzard we had here in new england) with a 2004 chevy 1500. I did 30 driveways and 3 small parking lots. The truck did awesome. I had to replace my hubs half way through the season but they were worn out anyway. I up graded to a f350 this year and I can not believe how much better the 350 handles plowing. I would never plow with anything less then a 3/4 ton pick up now.

Note* I am not by any means saying dont plow with a 1500, I still have mine and would plow with it if I had to.

6. myzx6

myzx6 Member

I would never plow with anything less then a 3/4 ton pick up now.

Note* I am not by any means saying dont plow with a 1500, I still have mine and would plow with it if I had to.[/QUOTE]

Don't take it the wrong way but I find this comment pretty funny lol

7. Lee83

Lee83 Junior Member

i guess what i am asking is do the parts on 3/4 ton wear just as fast as smaller truck like mine? or do they last longer and are more durable? because i have no problem plowing with the truck as far as power. just seems like i am constintley fixing somthing. So wondering if i get bigger truck is it going to be less wear and tear

8. CowboysLC_DE

CowboysLC_DE Senior Member

Whatever you decide, don't buy a crew cab. I've got a good number of driveways and was thinking about buying a wrangler for the driveways and it can be my cruise around car in the Summer.

Michael

9. yardguy28

yardguy28 Senior Member

well I plow with an 07 dodge ram 1500 quad cab and it's never been an issue plowing residential driveways. in fact that's all I plow are residential driveways and I've got one of the shorter trucks in my neck of the woods.

most guys I see doing driveways are doing them with quad/crew cab long beds. I've got a short bed.

10. bigmackmiller

bigmackmiller Member

How big of plow do you run or want to run?

11. downtoearthnh

downtoearthnh Senior Member

I have plowed with 3/4 and 1 ton pick ups for over 25 years, and replace them at 4 yr. intervals. There is no getting away from doing maintenance, and accelerated maintenance on a plow truck is a fact of life. A 1/2 ton and a 3/4 ton in todays terms are not that much different from a cost of ownership/ maintenance perspective, so the question becomes what are your preferences. Nothing like answering a question without answering it!

12. JustJeff

JustJeff 2000 Club Member

Don't take it the wrong way but I find this comment pretty funny lol[/QUOTE]

What's so funny about it???