1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

new truck

Discussion in 'Ram Trucks' started by doyles, Feb 5, 2012.

1. doyles

doyles Member

okay guys i'am thinking of getting another truck and whoundering on a stock 2000-2003 2500 ram 4x4 extended cab with a cummins auto what can i expect for fuel milage
    towing up to 8000lbs
    plowing 8.6 v plow
    and just driving around unloaded
    thank you
  2. cwby_ram

cwby_ram Senior Member

If you're looking for an extended cab, you'll have to stop at '02, Switched body styles and when to the quad cab (crew cab), in '03 on. If you're main goal is fuel mileage, steer clear of 4.10 gearing. Mine's got 4.10's and it's pretty thirsty for a cummins. I think though, with a stock 24v Cummins, you could expect 17-20 with that kind of load. You could chip a 24v and if you choose the right one, that would increase your mileage. I've heard of them getting 25 or better.
  3. UglyTruck

UglyTruck Senior Member

anyone that says they are getting 25 or better is either lying or they have reflashed the cpu with a programmer and are still believing the overhead readout. they dont understand that programmers work by "lying to the CPU about timing, fuel flow, and other input paramaters. I was getting about 15 out of mine, then took the ladder rack off and now am averaging around 17. the first thing you will want to do is get a good programmer/chip. they are an absolute slug stock.
    Install at the very least a fuel pressure gauge. one of the common failures on these trucks is the stock lift pump which feeds fuel from the tank to the injection pump. the injection pump is a slide style pump that is lubricated and cooled by fuel flow and dont last long when starved of fuel. there is no indicator light or anything else built into these trucks to let the owner know that there is a fuel pressure problem so the first indicator that there is a problem is when the injection pump starts to intermittently cut out. a new VP44 pump is a minimum of $1200.00 just for the pump. to a $200 gauge is a small investment in piece of mind
    also, be sure to have the tranny serviced every year.

I love my truck, but like anything else, you have to understand its weaknesses before you can fix them.
  4. cwby_ram

cwby_ram Senior Member

Probably lying then. I average 13 or so, with the 4.10s and larger than stock tires. I did pull 20 once drafting a horse trailer on the way over to CO, though.

Anyway, good info here ^^ Thumbs UpThumbs Up
  5. peteo1

peteo1 PlowSite.com Addict

I've never really spent much time looking into programmers mainly cuz all the diesel guys talk about them and I have a hemi. Ate there programmers out there for the hemi engine or is that a diesel only thing? I would love to get some more mileage out if my hemi.
  6. plowguy43

plowguy43 PlowSite Fanatic

There is plenty of aftermarket for the HEMI - check out dodgetalk.com but be ready to open your wallet. Once you start its hard to stop. But to answer you question, I ran a Superchip 3815 Programmer on my 04 and it really woke the truck up. It pulled harder through the RPM band all the way to the Rev Limiter but the biggest difference was the tranny programming. It shifted a million times better and didn't hunt bad anymore. Now that programmer is outdated and its a 3865 with a bunch of different tuning options, but the best by far is a SCT tuned by "Hemifever" over there. Guys say its night and day better than the Superchips.

Just don't expect a 100HP gain like a diesel because you won't get it. You will get a little extra kick, but a much better overall driving experience.

DAFFMOBILEWASH PlowSite.com Addict

Given the choice dollar for dollar the 03 is the better truck. They tend to be a little more but the full cab and better trans/injector system will quickly offset the extra purchase costs.

As for fuel milage I found the 00-02's era very hungry compared to the others. Unless you are looking to pull 15000lbs or more stay clear from the 4.10 rear ends at all costs. These pumpkins will kill the fuel milage.

Most importantly stay clear of the heavy modded trucks. As soon as you ad the chips they add way too much extra stress to the entire driveline. Typicially these programers will eat stock trans and the engines tend to have a harder life as well. The only way if I would consider a heavy moded truck is if the work was done correctly in the rebuild department. This meaning the trans was built to take the extra power before the chip was added. A person who builds stuff this way will take extra care in the truck and have the $$ to correctly fix problems.
    Last edited: Feb 6, 2012
  8. UglyTruck

UglyTruck Senior Member

DaffMobilewash speaks wisley.... These Trucks are fun to modd and it is easy to do get wrapped up in doing so. I actually am upgrading tuners and injectors this weekend and am fully expecting it to eat my transmission in the near future, but I have wanted to upgrade the tranny for a while. when I got my 01 the 03+ body style was WAY out of my price range. looking back there are things that I like and things I dont about both. I wish it had common rail injection and the rotary injection pump because they are quieter and a little more reliable (if all things remain stock) and I wish I had the legroom that the 3rd gen trucks have, but I have worked on enough 3rd gen trucks and been around both long enough to honestly believe that I like the much more solid feel of more metal and less plastic and i prefer the look of the 2nd gen trucks (Besides, they look better on the plowsite t-shirts ;-})

as far as not buying a heavily modded truck.... If you are looking for a plow truck you generally arent looking for that type of truck anyway. I guess that if you dont understand the whys and hows of a truck that has already been modded I would stay away. It Just becomes that much harder to troubleshoot problems that may arise as a new owner.
  9. LwnmwrMan22

LwnmwrMan22 PlowSite Fanatic

My best Dodge was an 03' Cummins with 3.50 rear ends. I pull 24' enclosed trailers, 26' bumper pull flatbeds and 16' dump trailers.

Empty, as in running out to ND fishing (no boat) or ice fishing in N. Minnesota, we could get 23-24 with that truck if we kept our foot off of the floorboard. Set the cruise about 60-62 and leave it.

My '05, '06, '07, '03, '02, and now '11 all suck the diesel as they've all had 4.10.

You'll have to search hard for a 3.50 rear end. Even now you almost have to order one with a rear end other than the 4.10, they're hard hard to find.

So many people think you need the 4.10 rear end if you're going to have the Cummins, but it's not true.

As long as you're not pulling out tree stumps or hooking onto the bumper of a Ford or Chevy and having a tug of war, you'll be fine.
  10. jhenderson9196

jhenderson9196 Senior Member

It's time for some reality. Gearing makes little or no difference on late modle dodges. The 03 mentioned in the previous. post was the most fuel efficient 3rd gen available . Later trucks have more HP and a 3rd injection event for emissions. They use more fuel. It has been shown by comparison , road speed, not RPM costs fuel. 2 trucks,1 with 4.10 rear, 1with 3.73 rear, run65 mph. Same mpg. It's aerodynamics that hurt these trucks. Push more air, burn more fuel . Period.
  11. MrPLow2011

MrPLow2011 Senior Member
    from Boston

Whatever you do dont listen to DaffMobilewash. He seems to have no idea about Dodges at all. .03's came with 47re tranny and the only 235hp in some trucks. Its the same set up as the 02. So dont be so quick to buy a 03. Make sure it has C in the 8th place of vin. Thats the High output with a 48re.
  12. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

Since your an apparent expert maybe you should clarify a few things and correct a few mistakes in your post.

In 2003 there as a 235hp common rail offered. But you have to have a California truck for that.

The rest of the 49 states had a 250hp or 305hp (HO) motor for 2003.

In 2002 both the California and 49 State standard output model was 235hp and the 49 State HO motor was 245hp.

Also 2002 was the last year for the 3.55 axle ratio. In 2003 it became 3.73. 4.10s were offered for either generation.

Also 2003 was the first year for the 48RE 4spd automatic trans, it replaced the 47RE trans that had been used in the 96-2002 trucks.
    Last edited: Feb 8, 2012

DAFFMOBILEWASH PlowSite.com Addict

Thanks Mark 13 for the quick trans tutorial.....:laughing: