1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

New Truck

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by KC2LLW, Jan 26, 2012.

1. KC2LLW

KC2LLW Member

Ok I have a 2002 Super Duty F350 Dually Crew cab with the 7.3 I have a 8.5 pro plow on it and my Dad is looking for a new 2011 Super Duty extended cab F350 with an 8' bed my question is should he go gas or diesel I like my 7.3 but I think the gas engine is cheaper for maintenance cost to operate and better for plowing. opinions anyone?
    Thanks
    Steve

2. Too Stroked

Too Stroked Senior Member

It really depends on how long you plan to keep it and what you plan to do with it. Generally speaking, you still need about 100,000 miles to make up the price and maintenance premium that comes with the smoker. Oh, they've got torque and the mileage doesn't drop as bad when you work them, but the price difference is a bit stiff. Some of the new gas motors are pretty nice - and much cheaper.

3. Jewell1386

Jewell1386 Senior Member

Gas they get the same milage almost and the mile or 2 diff will end with oil changes and other bs fluids

4. ddb maine

ddb maine Senior Member

Unless you are actually going to work the diesel, the stuff that would kill a gasser, or dont mind spending the extra money to own a "diesel"... then I would go gas. I have a 5.4 350 and a 6.0l 550. I got the 550 because the 350 was having a hell of a time after towing a 5k pound trailer around every day for the last two years. I loose 20 mph going up grades even with the auto searching for gearing, unless I'm above 3k rpm I've got no power. the 6.0l on the other hand doesn't even need to drop a gear if I'm going 50, if I apply the same amount of go pedal the 350 requires to maintain speed, I'm hitting 65-70 at the crest. Towing an excavator with the 350 wasn't fun. It got the job done, but got pushed around quite a bit in the process. couple good, long, steep hills had me going from 50mph - 25 mph. 25 was the most I could maintain. that was at 3200-3500 rpm. probably 9-10k trailer with excavator. Haven't pulled it yet with the 550, but I expect a huge difference. My 550 is't exactly a comparison for fuel milage, (5.30 rear end.. I believe, I forget the decimal number. its the shortest ford has for the light duty stuff.) I would go through $150 in diesel, and $70-$80 in gas for the same job. I would imagine a 350 diesel would be a lot closer in line than a 550. It's worth every penny though to keep the weight off of a 170,000 mile 5.4. And once I start excavating again in the spring and being able to haul my own material to sites it's going to pay for itself fast.