1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

New truck

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by atvriderinmass, Oct 22, 2011.

1. atvriderinmass

atvriderinmass Senior Member

I know this must be on here but i didn't see it. I'm going to buy a used 3/4 ton truck and not sure if i should buy gas or diesel. Around here diesel costs more than gas. The truck will be mostly for plowing ,hauling firewood and pulling my 6x10 enclosed trailer once in a while. Other wise it will sit. What are the pros and cons? Sorry again if this was posted before.
    Thanks Frank
  2. Jguck25

Jguck25 Senior Member

This will start a huge debate. I know there used to be a really looong thread on here a while ago ( I remember reading it and commenting last year) but I cant find it right now, must have been deleted. You will get a different answer from everyone. Usually people who have only diesels will say go with a deisel, people who only have gas will say go with gas, people who have both will most of the time say go with deisel.

I actually have both. I have a 5.4 gas and two diesels. The gas never gets used anymore unless the other trucks are out. I run a landscaping and snowremoval business and ill tell you that I spend MORE money usuing the gas engine than the deisel engine overall. Towing a landscaping trailer with two big zero turn mowers on it two back pack blowers miscelaneous things and grass in the bed on a car/landscaping trailer it is a DOG. Horrible gas mileage too, about 8.5-9mpg but yet with the deisel I get about 15.5 doing the same thing. Plowing my route with the gas engine i go through a tank of gas a storm but with the deisel i get almost two storms to one tank.

All this said I would always get diesel over a gas UNLESS i was buying brand new with the intent on only keeping it for less than two or two and a half years. or if i were getting a truck and not planning on ever towing more than around 3k with it.
  3. Jguck25

Jguck25 Senior Member

4. motoxguy

motoxguy Senior Member
    from WI

Just bought a 2011 chevy 2500 gas and wish i still had my diesel, more power better mileage
  5. thelettuceman

thelettuceman PlowSite.com Addict

I have a diesel. Tons of power and decent mileage.
  6. atvriderinmass

Thanks alot guys. I think i'm gonna go with a gmc 2500 gasser. What are the good engines and the ones to stay away from? Any help would be great. Thanks!
  7. downtoearthnh

downtoearthnh Senior Member

While the gasser may be less expensive to buy, it will be more expensive to run, and worth less at trade in or sale. It will also be disappointing in power when pushing snow or pulling a full trailer. I have a 6.0 gasser and 3 diesels, so probably biased, but I think you should rethink the gas thing
  8. atvriderinmass

Well, i'm thinking the cost of fixing it when it breaks down. When im not plowing with it or hauling firewood it will be parked.
  9. Scottscape

Scottscape Senior Member

go gas. cheaper maintenance, cheaper fixes and cheaper fuel costs. esp. if you're buying an older used truck.
  10. Jguck25

Jguck25 Senior Member

If you are going to get gas, I would look for the engine that has the most power.. It will be even worse on fuel but if you plan on hauling with it and plowing, you are going to need it to keep from flooring it all the time, especially if you eventually plan on getting a sander in the back of it.

Funny, he asked for opinions and got all responses to go with diesel, and he chose gas lol but anyway, I dont think diesels are TOO much more expensive as far as parts go. Either way, a gas engine should treat you just fine if you only do what you say with it
  11. Jguck25

Jguck25 Senior Member

How do you like that truck if you dont mind me asking? I am planning on dealing with my 99 daily driver/main work truck through this winter and getting one of those towards the end of next summer. Everything I hear about them is amazing but I was wondering how they do working and plowing and everything
  12. Joe D

Joe D Senior Member

Your budget will determine what you will buy. How much you going to spend?
    If it will see low miles per year then a gas will do fine.
  13. atvriderinmass

From what i've read the 6.0 is the best engine. Bad on gas but that wont matter its not going to be a daily driver. Thanks guys!
  14. Plow Nuts

Plow Nuts Senior Member

The 6.0 is great engine. It is from the LS engine family 4.8,5.3,6.0,6.2 v8's. We have a 6.0 v8 gas motor in our 1 ton chevy with a 9ft blade and it has no problems plowing or pulling a skid steer. I wanna know if anyone has plowed with the new 6.2 435 horse motor in the newer gm trucks. I drove a 3/4 ton with the new motor and it was silly fast :eek: