1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

New truck

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by JThompson, Sep 24, 2003.

1. JThompson

JThompson Member
    from NYC

Just put a deposit on a new 2003 F250 XL, regular cab, 5.4 engine, 4x4, 3.73 limited slip rear, snow plow prep, towing package, automatic, 8' Western Plow. Basic work truck. Any suggestions as we gear up for the upcoming season as far as add-ons, things to look for, etc.? Thanks.
  2. Pelican

Pelican 2000 Club Member

Timbren Load Boosters up front will improve your handling, especially with the plow on.
  3. micah79

micah79 Senior Member

Buy some extra parts such as pins and grease for the plows electrical fittings. Salt will corode the electrical fittings quick, so coat them in dialectic grease often. We always have cotter pins break. They start to get a little rust on them and they pop right in 2. They are so cheap to buy, that it doesn't pay not to stock up on them. You might want to get a tailgate spreader. I have used buyers, but I'm also looking into Snow Ex, because they come with a 5 year warranty. Remember that the 5.4 only takes 5w20 oil. We were running 5w30 and it made gas mileage even worse. Your truck will already get bad gas mileage so why make it any worse. Plus its probably a good idea to use the correct oil anyways. But beware most oil change places around here will still put 5-30 in it. Thats why I do maintenance myself.

Good luck on the setup. It sounds nice.
  4. JThompson

JThompson Member
    from NYC

O.K., you got me. I'm a relative newbie, last year first year. What are Timbren Load Boosters and where would I get them?
  5. micah79

micah79 Senior Member

They are talked about on here a ton. As Pelican would tell me, try a search on here. ( I always forget to search or cant find it even when I do search half the time lol) They are a rubber plug that sits under the springs in front. You don't notice them when the springs are up, but when they flatten out, the timbren provides cushion in between the springs and the frame. They don't look like much ,but they are known to do wonders. Do a search on. www.google.com for timbren and you should find a place that sells them.
  6. Pelican

Pelican 2000 Club Member

You can look at RPM Sales in our sposor section too!

I've got them on my '01 F-350, really improved my handling both with and without the plow.
  7. SatZ28

SatZ28 Member

02 F250 Before Timbrens

8. SatZ28

SatZ28 Member

02 F250 W/Timbrens

9. JThompson

JThompson Member
    from NYC

Thanks guys! :drinkup: I will definitely look into them. Anything else?

Also, I should have negotiated this into the deal but didn't think about it till later. I would like the telescopic mirrors. This one just comes with regular side mirrors. I priced them but they are around $300-$350 for the pair from Ford uninstalled!! If anyone knows of any available (wrecked truck??) please let me know. Also looking to put a bedliner in and cab steps.
  10. phillyplowking1

phillyplowking1 Senior Member

Good luck with the truck.I dont really like them mirrors,visability is really good but I've had to replace them several times because of my guys hitting stuff with them. :realmad:
  11. Santo

Santo Banned

Pelican, is there a difference between Timbrens and leaf adding? I added leafs up front,and I feel every knotch in the road but it is a truck. Bounciness?:redbounce
  12. Pelican

Pelican 2000 Club Member

Timbrens are a faster and easier install than leaves.
  13. Santo

Santo Banned

Telescopic mirrors are a joke , aint they?

What are they about 2 feet out pushed all the way in.

Ford must think everybody lives in countryland.

Traveling down a 21' one way city street with parking on both sides is very trickyfor the telescopic owner.
  14. szorno

szorno Senior Member

JThompson- you might add a couple things to the list:
    Tow strap
    Jumper cables (I like the kind that mount permanently to the battery and plug in when you need. very safe)
    mini-light bar. (depends on NY regs)
    extra coat and blanket
    Power bars or other non-spoiling hi energy food
    extra wiper blade
    CB Radio, FRS Radio, and Cell phone
    Hydraulic fluid
    Extra angling hose and hitch pin

Bottom line, think like you might be stuck for a while. What would you want to help yourself or someone else. (like a partner) :angel:
    Now you got a good truck !
  15. BWhite

BWhite Senior Member

solenoid ,relay and required tools
  16. JThompson

JThompson Member
    from NYC

Thanks for the suggestions! But Power Bars???? :dizzy: UGGGHHHH!!!!! I 've tried them and I think I would rather starve;) ! Thanks again.
  17. EIB

EIB Senior Member

I bought a kit from Western. I think it was about 100.00. It has just about one of everything you could use in the field for repairs. It also comes in a nice case for storage.
  18. GLS

GLS Senior Member

They even give you a western snowcap and a "snow happens" bumper sticker!
  19. rdenman

rdenman Junior Member

20. Greensway

Greensway Member

Duct tape always comes in handy:D