1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

new truck

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by koosh925, Sep 17, 2010.

1. koosh925

koosh925 Junior Member

I just bought a 2008 f250 I dont believe it has a plow prep package on it. Is that going to be an issue for plowing. If so any idea how much it costs to add it on? The dealer is sending the truck to have the mounting plate and wireing put on.

2. Pinky Demon

Pinky Demon PlowSite.com Addict
    from Ohio

Depends on what size plow you are running on it, and what engine you have.

3. koosh925

koosh925 Junior Member

I am using a 8 foot boss plow and running on a 72 amp/hr (650 CCA) battery, Mono-beam front axle w/coil spring suspension, 115-amp HD alternator, Pwr 4-wheel disc brakes w/vacuum boost, 5.4L SOHC 24-valve SMFI Triton V8 engine,

4. nekos

nekos Senior Member

I believe that the plow prep on Fords consists of bigger front springs and a transmission cooler, Please any one correct me if i am wrong.

You shouldn't have much trouble running a Ford with out the plow prep. I know plenty of guys that do it. I wouldn't throw a 9 foot blade with wings on it though.

5. koosh925

koosh925 Junior Member

Thanks for your help.

6. Pinky Demon

Pinky Demon PlowSite.com Addict
    from Ohio

You are right, but you only get the larger trans cooler on diesels along with a different fan clutch. All it consists of for gas engines are larger springs.

As for the OP, I believe you will be fine, pending what FGAWR you have. You can find this right on the sticker in the door jamb, or on the side of the driver side door itself. If it is 4800, I wouldn't worry so much, but if it's 4400, I would think about it a bit.

BTW, you can determine if you have a snow plow prep by looking at the FGAWR ratings on your front springs. 5200+ should be plow prep. My buddy has an 09 Extended cab short bed with the 5.4L, and his is 5600.

EDIT: OP, just checked Boss' site and played with the plow selector. On an 08 Regular Cab truck, if you have a FGAWR of 4000, Boss does not recommend running a plow AT ALL. Plow prep springs bring it up to 5200 for the 5.4L and 6.8L. Diesel gets 6k. WIth a SuperCab, the figures remain the same for the short bed, but with the long bed, snow plow prep becomes 5600 for both gas motors.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2010
  7. bterry

bterry Senior Member

I have a pair of 6000# fronts with 20,000 miles on them for sale if you are interested. Still have the sticker on them.