1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

New Truck What Size Plow

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by mmcolorado, Sep 3, 2008.

1. mmcolorado

mmcolorado Junior Member

I just picked up a 2008 Dodge, 3500 Heavy Duty, Diesel, Mega Cab. I live in rural Colorado, besides my construction work and towing I plan on plowing this season. I will be plowing driveways and sub-division roads, everything is gravel. I'm looking at the Meyer Aggressor Blade, 8 foot or maybe 8 1/2 foot with an E-Z mount Xpress. I was told to put as big a blade on as possible but you can also get to big and have trouble pushing if the snow is deep. I also plan on chaining up. Dodge says you can chain the rear but I noticed that the 2500 with the snow prep package you can chain the front, I guess that's because they run a smaller tire 245/70-17 as opposed to a 265/70-17. I plan on going to the smaller tire probably an aggressive mud off road. Any input on helping me set up right would be appreciated. Thanks!
  2. SuperBlade

SuperBlade Member

You could always have wings put on a smaller blade. If you have the money try the new sno-ways.:)

What is that dodge prep package?
  3. elite1msmith

elite1msmith 2000 Club Member
    from chicago

you need to consider a few things. first going bigger, might put you over your FAWR, , and come to think about it , i dont think they "recommend it" on your truck to begin with. EXT cab, cummis = too much weight, depends on the plow

i would go 9 foot, you have to remember your 3500 has dual rear wheels? plus you have a megga cab, making your truck longer than most, if you go with a smaller blade, when you turn ur tires will be in the snow, your plowing,

also scrapping to curbs will put ur rims at risk with a smaller blade, aspecialy when truing to clean around a corner... i have reg cab, single rear weehl , with 8.5 and i still need to do it "just right" so i dont rub my tire
  4. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Have you given any thought to ask your dealer how he will handle any warranty related issues on the truck? Since your considering installing a plow on a truck thats isn't recommended to accept one.
  5. mmcolorado

mmcolorado Junior Member

Dodge Prep Package

Snow plow prep package.
  6. mmcolorado

mmcolorado Junior Member

The dealer sales manager said no problem he'd take care of me. Just drop the plow and bring it in.
  7. tls22

tls22 PlowSite Veteran

Yeah i would def be alittle worried about that........8.5 should be plenty of blade for you!
  8. mmcolorado

mmcolorado Junior Member

Plow size

Yes, your right Dodge doesn't recommend a plow. The Mega Cab only has about a 765 pound margin before you meet the Front GAWR. So if you take away the weight of the driver say 200 lbs that only leaves 565 lbs for a plow.

I figure if I add ballast in the bed I can offset that. I would probably want some weight back there anyway right?

You say 9', when does the plow get to big and you have trouble moving deep snow? My truck has single rear wheels and I don't have curbs to contend with.
  9. mmcolorado

mmcolorado Junior Member

does anybody know where to get some in expensive steel wheels for my 2008 Dodge 3500?

I'm looking for something to put on during the season. About the only thing I found was a US Wheel from Summit Racing. The had a Wheel 17 x 8 with a 4 1/2 inch back spacing and told me the Dodge had 4 5/8. I dropped my full size spare and measured the back spacing at 6".
  10. mmcolorado

mmcolorado Junior Member

Dodge Mega Cab Doors

What's this I read on Plow Site about Dodge Mega Cabs having trouble with their doors if they're used for plowing?
  11. Jt13speed

Jt13speed Senior Member

If your worried about having to push through to much snow, buy a 8 1/2ft V plow. Theres a couple guys on here who plow with mega cabs, one of which has a 9ft BOSS V plow. Theres always a possibility of messing doors up if you are slamming into huge piles and stuff, so i think if you dont go nuts and beat the crap out of your truck it will last a while.

Make sure you put alot of ballast in your bed and it will plow fine, especially if your tires are chained up. :waving:
  12. elite1msmith

elite1msmith 2000 Club Member
    from chicago

you should be using balast, but yes DODGE more than likely will not cover it...the sales man just wants a sale, i personally wouldnt buy it unless they wrote up an agreement that what ever dodge doesnt cover as a result of having a plow , the dealer will, all parts and labor. i hihgly doubt they would ever do that

single rear wheel, then an 8.5 is fine... i have mostly 8 foot used plows, and any that i bought new i went to 8.5 - im thinking of going to 9 foot or more - look at the wide out - 10 foot

your truck can handle it , even in deeper snow, as long as your not beating the crap out of it
  13. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

As well as back windows. Have only seen one account personally but have heard of others.

A local guy here purchased a new Mega and had a 8.5 ft pro plus installed (against dealer requests of course) Guy isn't hard on equipment but went through 3 rear windows in the first plowing season. Couldn't figure out why. Kindly dealer replaced the first two under his "hand shake" ;) warranty. After the third they had a Dodge rep come in to look at the truck, thinking "structural defect" somewhere. As soon as the rep saw that the truck was plow equipped he said "no more warranty from Dodge period". Seems the rep knew that the cabs flex on the Mega's due to the chassis "arching" from the weight of the plow (that they weren't designed to carry in the first place). Seems the Mega's don't have enough support in the cab structure due to the long span between the front and back roof pillars.... so when the chassis flexes, so does the cab....popping the rear window out in the process. Dodge rep claimed they like to crease across the roof as well, making door alignment poor at best.

So after that he traded it in on a regular cab...been happy ever since.

Use at your own risk. :help:
  14. mmcolorado

mmcolorado Junior Member

How many seasons has he plowed with his mega cab? I got a response from someone on the site that said a guy he knew popped out 3 back windows in one season and he doesn't beat his truck. The dealer replaced 2, on the 3rd the dodge rep was called in, saw the truck outfitted to plow said no more warranty. Supposedly "chassis arching" is the problem, can also cause roof creasing and door problems.
  15. rfed32

rfed32 Senior Member

8.5 or 9foot
  16. Jt13speed

Jt13speed Senior Member

You already got a response from him on another thread, his name is NLS1. I dont know man, i am almost 100% sure that mega cabs are on the same frame as quad cab 8ft bed trucks and there are countless number of those with plows out there not having problems.

With that said, i also understand that a mega cab's cab itself is almost 2ft longer then a similar quad cab truck soooo, it does set back farther on the frame but i cant see a frame flexing that much. Wouldnt a heavy load on the back of the truck also cause the frame to flex similarly??? Good luck with your decision
  17. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

No, completely opposite direction, along with different torsional stress distributed throughout the chassis.
  18. justwheelit

justwheelit Member

get a 9' plow because with anything less when the blade is angled the rear tires will be in the snow, your best bet is a western wide-out or a blizzard power plow or speedwing. they are all basically the same thing except for a few features. im putting a wide-out on my 2500 quad cab next week
  19. fms

fms Senior Member
    from Maine

I have an 03' quad cab with the hemi and a 9' vee blade. I'm on my third front end at 110k miles. I've worked the truck hard and don't have any complaints (except I'd rather not be on my third front end), but I'd stay light on weight on the front end. I didn't think the mega cab diesel did a snow prep package?
  20. kmwharley

kmwharley Member

You can do what you want but the other post about back glass is totally correct. Also you WILL, and several already have, creased cab roofs which will cause the doors not to open. No warrany and No insurance claims.
    One thing to remember about frames is that they are not an entire frame. They are made in sections. I am not 100% positive but I do not believe that they are the same as the quad cabs. (I believe that they are a different center section). I did a TON of research last year as I REALLY wanted a mega cab but settled for a Quad cab so I could plow. If you want to plow go ahead and I hope the best, However my prediction is depending on weight of plow and useage will depent on how soon you WILL see some damage that is you pay!!! As long as you know then cool, I would just feel bad if you weren't warned and had a problem. If you need specific people to talk to that had this happen to I can get a couple of names for you as well as a plow dealer that has seen countless....PM me if interested.