1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

NEW truck what plow

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by afrye307, Feb 25, 2014.

1. afrye307

afrye307 Junior Member
    from afton

Sorry ford and GM guys. I bought a new 2500 Ram diesel truck (I am the sales manager for my dodge dealership) What plow should I put on it and what truck features. I have my guys putting a leveling kit upfront and airbags for towing in the summer. What plow would you go with Boss, Fisher, Western. I want a v-plow like the boss DXT or the western mvp3. I have a guy that can get me a new fisher and take 2,000 off the price. Is there a difference in plows?

2. jhenderson9196

jhenderson9196 Senior Member

All of he major brands are fine IMHO. I have a Boss VXT 9.2 on mine. If you go for a V, I would head over to your parts dept, and order heavier front springs. I'm not sure if they have changed or not from the 3rd gens. On a 3rd gen I used the tag on the original springs for the part number, and went with the spring ending in 988. That was the heaviest available, and works well for me. I'd go with the best service and parts dept., no matter what brand they sold

3. lawnprofrench

lawnprofrench Junior Member

Put a 9'2" BOSS DXT on a new F350 in January and Love it. On a 3/4 ton you might go with a 8'2". Congrats on the truck.

4. afrye307

afrye307 Junior Member
    from afton

Thanks for the heads up about the springs our shop has some great guys.

5. afrye307

afrye307 Junior Member
    from afton

on the plow websites they say that I can't run a plow in a 3/4 ton ram is that true?

6. edgeair

edgeair Senior Member

They all say that about Dodges. I am guessing yours is a crew cab?

The plows work just fine on Ram trucks. I think its something to do with the front axle rating with the added weight on the longer trucks.

Ram trucks - great product IMO, lousy company that magically makes warranty disappear if you buy a truck sold in the wrong country. (Don't ask me how I know)

7. Whiffyspark

Whiffyspark 2000 Club Member
    from SOMD

Legal ********. Upgrade your springs or put timbrens on it. You'll be fine

8. SnowGuy73

SnowGuy73 PlowSite Fanatic

An expandable one...

9. Flawless440

Flawless440 PlowSite.com Addict

Love the V plows, they can do more than a expandable plow..

On a 3/4 ton diesel truck the dealers will not install a plow on it because of the weight on the front end.. They will want to sell you a 7.5 blade.
    Have to install it your self..
    Add timbers to the front end (byers has a knock off brand half price) and the 9'2 works great

Go Boss DXT.. If you have a boss dealer close.. Boss makes it easy to install yourself

10. allagashpm

allagashpm Senior Member

If you can save 2grand on a new fisher I would do that. Assu me you r buddy is a dealer? Check out the xv2

11. Diesel Dan

Diesel Dan Senior Member

no difference between 3/4ton and 1ton pickups for years and years

12. lawnprofrench

lawnprofrench Junior Member

If you don't have a 6000 gvw front axel or larger Boss says 9'2" is to heavy in the DXT

13. Whiffyspark

Whiffyspark 2000 Club Member
    from SOMD

Did you bother reading the thread?

There is no physical difference in axles. The only difference is the spring rating

And it doesn't matter if it's 3/4 1 ton. Still the same thing. Diesel is heavier takes up more axle weight

14. Diesel Dan

Diesel Dan Senior Member

All Ford and Dodge 3/4 and 1 tons use the same Dana 60 front axle.

All GM HD trucks use the same double wishbone IFS.

All of these trucks will carry a 9'2" or 9'6" V plow.

some (crew cabs, diesels) are helped by stiffer spring or Timbrens.

END OF THREAD

15. jhenderson9196

jhenderson9196 Senior Member

Giving the wrong info is not helpful. All Dodges have used AAM axles, front and rear,for the last 10+ years. Try to keep up.

16. Diesel Dan

Diesel Dan Senior Member

Got me there, forgot.

Does it matter? Nope. You can still put a V plow on a Dodge HD.