1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

New Truck thoughts

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by CowboysLC_DE, Mar 21, 2014.

1. CowboysLC_DE

CowboysLC_DE Senior Member

This is my first post on plowsite, i've commented on a few threads over the winter.

I wasn't planning on getting a truck this Spring but my truck has some very high miles on her and I think it's time for a back up truck (new).

I don't want this to turn into too much of a pi$$ing match just thought I'd get some opinions. If you guys have TRUE fuel economy on the following trucks please chime in.

The following prices I got from the online build your own spot on each website and I will be going to test drive this weekend.

The following trucks were all priced out with the following options:
    4x4
    Gas
    Snow Plow Prep
    CD/MP3
    Remote Keyless Entry
    Rear Window defroster
    Dual Alternators
    Heated Mirrors

Reg Cab
    GMC Sierra WT 3500HD 6.0L $36,523
    Chevy WT 3500HD 6.0L $39,290
    Dodge 3500 6.4L $34,350

Extended Cab
    Chevy WT 3500HD 6.0L $42,425

As far as I can tell the only reason Chevy has a higher price is because people are more attracted to the Chevy name whereas ten years ago GMC was more popular. I haven't owned a diesel up to this point in my life (21) and unless they want to work a crazy deal to get a 2013 off the lot I don't plan to spend the extra money. We don't need all the diesel comments guys, thank you anyway. My family also has the extra Dodge discount due to a family member who worked there, which probably doesn't take much off the price these days.

I really need to get behind the trucks to see which one im most comfortable behind. All of these trucks are 3-5" higher up then my 2006 GMC 2500HD. I don't plan on getting a crew cab but it would be nice to have an extended cab which Dodge doesn't offer and GMC didn't offer on their 3500HD website.

I have a new 7x16 enclosed trailer that will be pulling a 60ztr and a 36wb 5 days a week. As well as a 6x12 maxum dump trailer that I mainly use in the Spring for much. I plan on using the new truck as my weekend and estimate truck until next season when I 'plan' to add a second crew.

Fuel economy is probably going to be a big factor in my decision so any details would be appreciated. I currently get 9.9 mpg in my truck.

Michael

2. 90plow

90plow Senior Member

I like my fathers Chevy but he's pulling 11mpg with a backrack and a tool box. I switch with him from time to time if he needs the f350 I drive and I can tell you I thought it was his heavy foot but man it doesn't get much above 14 hwy and 11 is "good" around town. Really have unbiased opinion on trucks I like them all. We currently run three fords and two Chevys between the two companies (had two dodges that we sold in the past year or so). Go for whatever gets the best mileage and best features for the lowest cost or best financing.

3. 2006Sierra1500

2006Sierra1500 PlowSite.com Addict

Your buying a truck...mileage isn't going to be good. Chevy has been using that engine forever now, and the power compared to the others isn't great. On paper at least. I like the Dodge 6.4 but I'm a Chevy guy so, I'd be going for the GM.

4. CowboysLC_DE

CowboysLC_DE Senior Member

I will be putting on an 8'2" Boss V plow that way it is easily interchangeable between both trucks and I don't need a bigger plow for the work that I currently have contracts on.

Michael

5. 1olddogtwo

1olddogtwo PlowSite Fanatic

Not a Chevy but...

2013 PSD Super Duty 6.7 600hp avg weight 10500-11K

19-20 highway @ 70

15-15.5 city

Towing/plowing 12 have 9K towing miles

31600 miles ave speed is 45.7 avg

Used 2300 gals of fuel avg is 14 overall.

Idle way to much. Very heavy foot too

Last edited: Mar 21, 2014
  6. Italiano67

Italiano67 Senior Member

Power isn't great? I think it is very good and never has a lack of it. I've already been loaded with a 1.5 yds of salt in a Vbox , Boss Vplow, and pulling a 873 Bobcat and it felt fine. This is in a 2011 3500Hd regular cab with the 6 speed auto. Average mpg with 26000 miles is 10.0.

7. 2006Sierra1500

2006Sierra1500 PlowSite.com Addict

I've only driven a new 6.0 once, my buddys 2013 GMC. I have an 04 6.0L that never really struggles. I get roughly 12 MPG with that truck with a light foot. And thats why I said on paper at least.

8. scott3430

scott3430 PlowSite.com Addict

If you only have yourself and 1 employee/buddy riding with you, then I would say get a reg. cab.

The price of the GMC is nice compared to the Chevy. It sounds like the 6.0 gas will give you plenty of power for what you will be towing.

9. brianbrich1

brianbrich1 PlowSite.com Addict

I own a few chevys both older and new and 1 older dodge all 3/4 ton. All push snow great and the newer ones tow 8000 trailes no problem 6.0 engine. It does like to drink the fuel as stated above but if buying a hd truck that shoukd be expected and they will all be within a few mpg of each other staying in the same engine class (gas/diesel). The biggest difference is the actual ride. The front solid axle ride is noticeably not as nice.

10. Flawless440

Flawless440 PlowSite.com Addict

Go Diesel.....
    Everyone is always scared of them... Only way to go for a work truck...
    I'm looking to buy a half ton truck which will be gas, but that will be a personal truck.. Hard to give up my 600 hp powerstroke and turn it into a crew truck. But its time..
    GMC Denali crew cab sure is pretty...