1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

New truck set up 2010 GMC 2500HD

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by d&r, Apr 3, 2013.

1. d&r

d&r Member

Hey guys have a couple questions, I just picked up a 2010 GMC 2500 HD SLE (newer body style) with the Allison 6 speed trans. 3.73 rear end. The truck has the Aux Battery tray, plow and trailer package. Well I have all summer to get it ready for the 2013 - 2014 plowing season, I have had older trucks and have no problem whipping out the drill and hole saw and start wiring and bolting but I want to do it right. Looking for some guidance from you guys that already have your rigs ready to push.

1) How to mount up the 2nd battery.
    2) Where is the best place to start running the harness for the spreader and plow through the firewall?

Looking to run with a Western Ultra mount 8'6" straight blade with a TG07 Salt Dog spreader on a hitch mount. I read the post about installing a second battery but that was on an earlier truck does it all still apply????

2. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

If it doesn't have two battery's in it already (ie Diesel) then it doesn't have an Allison. Just a common misconception FYI on the 07-current trucks. :salute:

The main portion of the tray should already be there. Throw the battery in, add a hold down and run the cables. Positive to the original battery and ground to the engine (block preferably) Pretty simple.

There's a clean open spot on the firewall to cut in a good size hole for all the in cab wiring you'll need currently and probably in the future too. Just be sure to check the inside for any "surprise" variations as a few 07-up trucks I've seen had some things in the way that weren't supposed to be there.
  3. djagusch

djagusch 2000 Club Member
    from mn

Put in the frame gussets.
  4. d&r

d&r Member

Thanks B&B, so I guess I will just grab the drill and hole saw, and start wiring just like I did on my other trucks. Too much electronic crap on this truck I was afraid to screw something up I am used to pre-2K models with OBD1, Thanks for the heads up on the tranny I guess the guy blew smoke up my A$% (or didnt know better), but I am still happy with the truck. The truck was very lightly used and put away clean with the exception of some dog hair.
    Thumbs Up