1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

New truck questions

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by RBRONKEMA GHTFD, Jan 2, 2007.

1. RBRONKEMA GHTFD

RBRONKEMA GHTFD 2000 Club Member

Hey guys I am seriously thinking about getting a new 07 classic gmc 2500 hd crew cab with the d-max and allison tranny and also with the short box. (BLACK IN COLOR) I have a couple of questions though. How does the allison tranny preform while pushing snow? I know that we aren't suppost to push snow in over drive so my question is do u take the gear selector and put into M and manually shift it into 3rd? my 02 has d 321 so I can just skip d and drop it into 3rd. Does that make sense? Another question I have is how does the D-max do as far as pushing the wet heavy snow and how does it do as far as gas mileage? My 02 with the 6.0 gasser, I will burn about 3/4 tank plowing. How much do you think the D-max will burn? I am going to be putting my 05 boss 8'2'' ploy vee on the front, how much ballast should i use in the crew cab? I am gonna be putting timberns on the truck and 285 bfgs on it also. Thanks guys.

Ryan

Last edited: Jan 2, 2007
  2. PLM-1

PLM-1 Senior Member

Put the tranny in D and tow/haul. Fuel wise it's tough to say generally you will use less. I would put about 1000 lbs behind the wheels and push away.

3. I know it has been beaten to death here previously but be careful getting the 2500HD CC/DuraMax Allison combo as you won't be able to get it with RPO/VYU snowplow prep. I wouldn't spend that kind of money on a truck and take a chance at voiding the warranty by hanging a plow on it. Unless you've got money to burn, you'll be hard pressed to make up the difference in the diesel engine cost vs the gasser. JMHO.

4. RBRONKEMA GHTFD

RBRONKEMA GHTFD 2000 Club Member

Motorman 007 thanks for the info. Now you've got me thinking of going to an ex-cab. I never new that you couldn't get the plow prep on the crew cab model pick up. Thats good to know information right there. I am thinking I am gonna look into getting a ex-cab truck now, with the d-max. I have always owned regular cab trucks and I am now in need of some room to store my turnout gear for the fire dept. I thought about getting a toolbox but then I would just be taking it off in the winter like I do my tailgate and then my turnout gear would end right back up in the passenger seat.

PML-1 thanks for the info. on the drive train. Do you always plow in tow haul mode? I never do because I am always in 3rd but I guess it would be about the same to hit the tow haul and throw it in drive.

How do you guys like the 6 speed tranny? I have heard it does wonders when towing a trailer but as far as being able to manually shift your gear how do you guys like it, or do you ever use it? I guess is it just like a manual car tranny? when you shift into 1st it will stay in 1st?. Thanks again for the information guys.

Ryan

5. 02DURAMAX

02DURAMAX PlowSite.com Addict

I have an 02 Duramax/Allison Extended Cab Short Bed and I have a buddy that plows with me that has a Regular Cab long Bed....and last year we both plowed for 16 hours and I used 3/4 of fuel an he used a 1 tank and a 1/4 of fuel......but a long bed has a 34gal. tank and my short bed has a 26gal. tank :dizzy: that alot of fuel he used....