1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

New Truck questions

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by atvriderinmass, Jan 8, 2011.

1. atvriderinmass

atvriderinmass Senior Member

Going to be getting a new truck in the spring. Need something bigger. I'm looking for something i can do my 50 some driveways with and could take on a small parking lot if i had too. I'm going to be getting something used so i want to know what year,make and engine would be most reliable and what plow would be best.I want a 3/4 ton for sure and i want to stay around $12,000 without plow. I want to get the plow put on later. Any help would be great!

STIHL GUY Senior Member
    from CT

if your doing mostly residential you might want to look into a 1/2 ton truck. i have a 6.0L 2500HD which is great for plowing but some drives are very tight and its hard to manuever around in them. if your driveways are long/wide/open a 3/4 ton would be perfect
  3. PTSolutions

PTSolutions PlowSite.com Addict

a 3/4 ton chevy is plenty maneuverable for drives, we have an ext. cab short bed 2500hd and compared to our single rear wheel f350s both have long beds one is ext. cab and the other is crew cab, its like a go kart lol. and all of our trucks do a combo of resi and lot plowing.
  4. Sp3cialized

Sp3cialized Member
    from CT

My 3/4t is fine for doing most drives.. I have to be careful on some if theyre narrow but for most its the perfect balance of size and weight.

If you want to spend about 12k, look for early-mid 2000s 3/4t trucks.. The Dodges & Fords have straight axles whereas the Chevy/GMC have independent front susp. Test drive a few. Decide if you can justify owning a diesel vs gas, These newer trucks are mostly all great, just pick which you like the best..
  5. yamahagrizzly

yamahagrizzly Member

12k should get you a early to mid 2000's. i love my Chevy it does everything i expect it to do and then some. i have plowed with fords i have no complaints with the plowing part but not a fan of fords in general. get what ever truck you will enjoy having and and you can get a good deal on.. all of the newer trucks are good trucks but for every pro theres a con.. what cons don't bother you that much?
  6. tigertownman

tigertownman Junior Member

I have a 96 chevy 1/2 ton , with a 6 foot bed , and a 7.6 ft western straight blade. This truck is perfect for what your doing . It has the strength to push bigger lots , and the ability to do small drives no problem. I am looking into getting a 3/4 ton just for salt hauling purposes . But I highly recommend a chevy 1988-2000 years these trucks are easy to find parts for and easy to work on. Plus you can usually pick up a good 3/4 ton in these years for under $10,000 without plow.
  7. yamahagrizzly

yamahagrizzly Member

i will say the late 90's chevys are great trucks. i have a 98 2 door tahoe its a great truck. i have less than 3k into it and its in great shape. i would take it any where. it feels more like a truck vs early 2000 tahoes
  8. atvriderinmass

atvriderinmass Senior Member

Any engines to stay away from? Or What are the really good engines? I'm prolly gonna go for a gasser.
  9. Lbilawncare

Lbilawncare Senior Member

Def. get a 3/4 ton reg cab for maneuverability, 1/2 tons are ok, but they can't handle the load and hard use will wear them out faster. Chevy or GMC w/ the 6.0 engine.