1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

New Truck questions

Discussion in 'Ram Trucks' started by Mick, Jun 21, 2003.

1. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

I'm researching for a new truck and had kind of decided on a Dodge 2500. Went to CarsDirect online and looked up an SLT model and got a surprise. I can't order a 5.9HO Cummins Turbo Diesel in the state of Maine. It said they can't be delivered or registered in Massachusetts or California either. Seems like this applies to just the HO TD model. I've got a 6.5 TD in my 3500. Maybe I'd better take good care of it if I can't get anymore.

The other surprise was that the "snowplow prep" consists of just a 750 Amp Battery and a Transfer Case Skid Plate Shield. Anybody know what alternator is standard? Maybe they come with a transmission cooler?

Regarding transmissions - I'll want an automatic and the main work will be plowing, so want as strong a unit as possible in an automatic. They show a 47RE, 48RE in 4 speed and 5-45 RFE in a 5 speed. Since the 45RFE is the most expensive, I'm assuming it's the strongest. Is OD an option? - I can't find it.

2. Arc Burn

Arc Burn PlowSite.com Addict

Wish i could help Mick,is this some kind of emissions deal with the 3 states or what?
    I'll bet Johnny D will have the low down:nod:

3. wyldman

wyldman Member

It is an emission deal,but you should be able to get the standard output.

The snowplow prep is pretty much already all included with the diesel,trans cooler and all,but it makes good sense to get it so your warranty will be valid if you install a plow.The diesel comes with dual 750 CCA batteries,and a 136 amp alternator standard.I think the only thing you get extra with the plow prep on a diesel is the trans overheat light.

The only transmisions you can get with the diesel are the 47RE,and the 48RE.They are basically both the same tranny,with the 48RE being a little beefed up to deal with the HO motor.These are both 4 spd overdrive auto's

The 545RFE is a gasser only trans,a 5 speed OD auto.

If I were to spec a new Dodge for plowing,it would be the standard output,47RE,4.10 gears.

Most all of the heavy duty cooling,trans cooler,etc all come standard with the diesel.

4. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

Thanks, Chris. One other question regarding a diesel, not particularly Dodge. On my Chevy 3500 with the 6.5 TD, when I run it at 60 mph with the 2 yd sander loaded and the 9' raised, the temp gauge will show 230°F. Not in the red, though. Does it hurt anything to run it that hot?

5. John DiMartino

John DiMartino PlowSite.com Veteran

Mick, the HO not being available is :( . The good news is all Cummins trucks now come with the 48RE,the 47RE is no longer available. So you can get the standard output,and if your not happy with the power,put one of the Edge boxes on it,and have more power than the HO does stock.The box comes on and off in 3-4 minutes,and leaves no marks,plugs in easily. I would also consider the 3500 Single rear wheel over the 2500,it isnt much more $$ and its really just a payload ,better tire difference,but the Cummins trucks are heavy as Im sure you know. Mick,on your 6.5 running hot,if you havent ever done this,it may be time. Pull the grille of the truck,about 5-10 minutes work with a 7mm socket on a 3/8 drive cordless drill,and unhook the trans oil,and engine oil coolers from there brackets,just pull them forward slightly,(leave the cooler lines hooked up)and you'll see they are probably plugged up solid.Blow them out or clean them with a brush.I have worked on a few of them and all were work trucks,and all were plugged solid with debris.At this point if its full of debris i would remove the upper radiator shroud,and see if the radiator fins are also plugged up. You may be able to clean the fins with compressed air,just go easy so you dont bend the fins over. I used a heavy degreaser like gunk and a powerwasher turned down low,and it did a much better job.This entire job will take you about 1hr+,but if the truck has higher mileage or has seen dusty/muddy conditions you will be amazed at the buildup in that area.

6. nben

nben Senior Member

Mick,
    the pre-97 diesels are known for their cooling problems. Check your thermostat housing- do you have one or two thermostats? Officially GM changed their cooling systems in 97, but I have heard of a few 96's with the dual set-ups. If you only have one thermostat, you can upgrade to the newer style inlet and water pump pretty easily. Also, there are several options for upgrading your fan and fan clutch.

I would recommend doing all of the above ASAP. The pre-cooling mod 6.5's have quite a history of premature head cracking. Also, the older 6.5's have no piston skirt oil cooling and get into exhaust gas temperature trouble in hurry, even in stock form. Get a pyrometer and watch those temps!

All of the parts needed to upgrade the cooling system can be picked up at the dealer, or you can get them in kit form. Check this link for more infohttp://www.kennedydiesel.com . If you haven't done so already, ditch the "Turbo Power" engine cover. It tends to hold the engine heat in and contribute to the troublesome injection pump and fuel solenoid driver failures.

Good luck:D

7. Roger Dodger

Roger Dodger Senior Member
    from nw Pa.

The factory plow prep pkg. also includes different coil springs up front. The temp sender is in the transfer case not the tranny, and it's nothing more than a dash light not a nice guage.

8. wyldman

wyldman Member

I didn't know they put the temp sensor in the TC.It's always been in the tranny.

9. plowking35

plowking35 2000 Club Member
    from SE CT

Mick my 98 never goes above 210 pulling hard fully loaded with the plow on and spreader full. Your issue is probably more to due with the 9' plow blocking air flow. However the coolant temp should not get that high. Be carefull those engines are not the beefiest diesels ever made.
    Dino

10. Roger Dodger

Roger Dodger Senior Member
    from nw Pa.

Well, one would think that's the more sensible location but I read at a dodge tech page, that it's in the T-case. If I run across the site in the future I'll post it.