1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

New truck question

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by Hoopsfan, Aug 14, 2002.

1. Hoopsfan

Hoopsfan Junior Member

I'm in the market for my first new truck. Been looking at the GMC 2500 and the F250. I'm leaning toward the F250, but need some advise on what engine to get, gas or diesel. I plan on plowing in the winter and pulling mower equipment in the summer.

All info on the pros and cons of each engine would be appreciated.

Thanks
    Hoopsfan

2. JD PLOWER

JD PLOWER PlowSite.com Veteran

For info on the ford diesel try www.ford-diesel.com there you can find all you'll need to know about the diesel and the Ford pickup.

3. cat320

cat320 2000 Club Member

well I would go for the diesel.
    1. If your gonna keep the truck for a long time
    2. It has great mileage
    3. It will pull great with all that low end tourque
    4.Less maintanece on it
    5. it will push snow with no problem at all.

The bigest thing is the up front cost.I have both a a 7.3 and a 6.5 both seam to be doing great for me i think the ford has more power but I have not taken out a duramax.

4. Pelican

Pelican 2000 Club Member

The Ford also has a beefier front end than the Chevy, the same axle is used under the front of the F-550, which is rated for 17,500 lbs.

I've had gas trucks before, but the last 3 and all future trucks will be diesel. You can't beat them for the amount of work they'll do. Up front casts are high, but payback is in better fuel milage and less downtime. My diesels have never let me down.

By the way, Welcome to Plowsite!

5. plowking35

plowking35 2000 Club Member
    from SE CT

Many people are under the assumption that the GM IFS is not as strong as the solid front axel found under the Ford, that simply isnt the truth, the IFS is in fact rated to carry more weight than both the F-250 and F-350.
    The same axel is used in the 250 and 350, but not the same as used in the 450/550. Might be the same housing but not the same internals.
    Dino

6. Pelican

Pelican 2000 Club Member

I did a side by side comparison between my '01 F-350 SRW and '02 F-550 and most of the parts are identical between the two axles, even carrying the same casting numbers.

The passenger side tie rod end is different for some reason, the gears are different (4.88s are not available in the 250 & 350), the 550's brakes and hubs are bigger, understandably. All other parts appear to be the same.The housings are identical, and isn't this what is carrying the weight?

7. TRITONSNOWREM

TRITONSNOWREM Member

I just purchased a new F250 diesel. I'm so glad I did. The mileage is outstanding and the tourqe is to. Go with the 7.3 diesel !!!

8. Brickman

Brickman Senior Member

Go with a diesel, and don't go GM. I get 8 and 9 mpg pulling between 24,000 lbs and 29,000 lbs gross weight of cars behind my truck. Unless the wind is blowing I can run right along at 75. A sharp enough hill will drag it back some too. A friend has a sick.5 GM diesel, his truck never even dreams of keeping up with my PS.

9. Got Grass?

Got Grass? Senior Member

All depends on what you plan on pulling in the summer months.
    Get what you need for that. A diesel will tow more, no doubt.

For the winter months & plowing a Diesel engine will weigh more & put more stress on the front end.
    As far as I am concerned for plowing who really cares how much tourque or HP the truck has. It's the traction you need to worry about.

Personally I'd love to know when someone ran out of power before traction. When all 4 get spinning Ya better be on pavement.

10. Brickman

Brickman Senior Member

There is a guy around here that plows with a small Jeep. Older one with the removable sides and top for summer. He plows a lot of very small stuff. Duplexes, and 4 plexes. So yes traction is key, and I am sure his truck doesn't weigh all that much. His small rig is perfect for what he does.

11. Pelican

Pelican 2000 Club Member

It also provides weight for added traction! The rate that diesels build torque is much smoother than gas which helps greatly in applying the right amount of power to prevent spinning.

With my old gas pickup, I had to carry a can of CRC to dry the wires on damp days, and often fine powdery snow would get sucked through the radiator and blown on the ignition, shorting it out. That doesn't happen with the diesel. You do have to be sure to run quality fuel in the winter though, poor fuel will gel at temps under 25 and shut you down.

12. ChicagoSnow

ChicagoSnow Senior Member

Be sure to go diesel..................Ford diesel that is!

My fleet consists of 6 Ford F-250/350's power strokes.......always ready to work.

Stay away from the Chevy torsion front end............it cannot be "built up" enough to hold up a 800#+ plow with any satisfaction! And the front disk brakes.........another story for another day. Trust me, I just sold THE LAST chevy truck (1999 3500 4x4 dump) I will ever own in May.

You live and learn!

ChicagoSnow

13. ADLAWNCUTTERS

ADLAWNCUTTERS Senior Member

i have been plowing for over 20 years. i have been there done that. as you heard in buffalo we have been getting snow in feet over the last 2 winters. step up to the plate and buy the ford diesel you will not be sorry .i own 3 f-350's. diesel's , i will NEVER buy a gas engine for plowing.gas engines are junk next to the diesel. trust me on this one.good luck.