1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

New truck question

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by caz41, Jun 14, 2005.

1. caz41

caz41 Member

I was planning on buying a new dodge 3/4 ton with the cummins this fall, but now with the deal on the GM trucks it almost seems like that would be a better way to go to save around $10K. I want a diesel so I would have to go with the Dur./Alls combo. Do you guys think the Chevy is as heavy duty for a working truck as the Dodge is? Thanx.

2. Chevytruck85

Chevytruck85 Senior Member

Go with the chevy

3. sam973

sam973 Member

I'm in the same boat as you. The Dodge has a 5200 pound front end and Chevy has a 4800 pound front end. The other thing I just don't like is how low the front ends are on the Chevy trucks. I see myself getting hung up when I have to push snow back over curbs. I'm looking more toward Dodge and possibly Ford. Test drove an 05 Cummins today and it was quiet and had tons of power.

4. karl klein

karl klein Senior Member

i would say the Chevy would work great you can get a one ton single rear wheel if you want for the added weight. the front ends are a Little lighter than dodge but out the rear you can;t beat the Allison and duramax in my book. all you need on the front is some timbrens and a couple turns on the bars.

5. Jto89

Jto89 Member

go with the chevy.

6. LwnmwrMan22

LwnmwrMan22 PlowSite Fanatic

I just went through this today.

Here's what I came up with.

I bought a Dodge 2500, Cummins.

Here are the reasons why.

1. Dodge has the heavier front axle, plus you can get snow plow prep on the truck, even with the diesel engine.

2. Chevy / GMC will not warranty the truck if you put a plow on a truck with no snow plow prep, which you cannot get with the Duramax / Allison combo, therefore no warranty.

3. Chevy / GMC WILL warranty the truck if you get ahold of the district rep, convince them that the only reason you'll buy a Dodge over a Chevy / GMC is because of the lack of warranty. They will only warranty the truck for the original 36k warranty.

4. Dodge has a 70k warranty on the drivetrain, not just a 36k.

5. Dodge has more torque that the GM product, if you get the new 610 HO Diesel.

6. My dodge, an SLT, which would be "comparable" to a GMC Sierra SLE, listed for $41,520. The Sierra that I was looking at listed at $43,780.

7. I bought the Dodge for $31,250, with a trade difference of $11,500 and my 2002 Dodge 3/4.

8. The GMC dealer wanted $15,000 and my truck.

If you buy enough vehicles, or find the right dealer, you can get that $10k taken off of any vehicle.

Remember, GMC isn't going to be selling vehicles at a loss, they're still going to be making money.

7. sixspeed

sixspeed Senior Member

Hi caz41 - Hate to use the "F" word but did you check out Fords? The Cummins is awesome (always has been) as is the Dodge solid front axle but the GM is really not that bad of a truck - even with the weaker IFS front axle and the crappy GM warranty the rest of the truck is as heavy duty as Dodge or Ford... Nevertheless you owe it to yourself to check them all out since they all have good and bad. Drive all 3 as much as you can before making up your mind! :drinkup:

8. Turfmower

Turfmower Senior Member

HUH
    I have plow prep on my GMC Duramax/Alison
    I had the deal in stall the plow to get in in the 0% financing too and the upfit credit for the because it a commercial truck $ 38,000 for Diesel auto 4x4 2 yard mason dump 8 1/2 foot western Pro plow

9. Turfmower

Turfmower Senior Member

sixspeed did Ford get their trans fixed yet. I remember reading here people having a problem with the torque shift trans. If I was to buy one in off the lot I make sure it had the up dates done to the transmission.

10. sam973

sam973 Member

I have a F 550 with the 5 speed auto. The truck is on it third recall already. The first was a software problem with the PTO, the second was for the sprag pin replacement( It would shoot through the trans pan while going from drive to reverse), and now the third one i was just told about today is for a Wire Harness that has a bad connection that has caused some trucks to shut off while driving. I have yet to have the shut off problem and hopefully wont before it goes in for the recall. I do think I have a bad injector though because the truck smells like its running very rich. If Ford wasn't staying on top of these issues I would not be considering another, but so far they have fixed everything thats gone wrong. It is become annoying having to make all these trips in to the dealer though.

11. sixspeed

sixspeed Senior Member

Dunno if Ford 's got it's shift together with those Torqshift problems :)
    IMHO time is the cure-all for bugs and problems and GM has had more time to work out bugs with the Allison than Chrysler or Ford with their 5 speed autos...

IMHO, with all honesty they all have had problems and some black holes in their past. All 3 have had diesel reliability and trans problems and none shines more than the other in this respect.

There is something to be said for a 70000 mile warranty though. I guess one could argue if it's 70k of problems the length of the warranty might not matter. :confused:

12. LwnmwrMan22

One thing about getting the snowplow prep.

They won't put it on a crew cab, at least not new, 2005, but they will put it on a regular cab.

Is your dump a regular cab?? Or crew?

Here is the window sticker out of the GMC I was looking at buying....
    http://www.gmc.com/ws/nvlWindowStic...BDtest&driveD=TBDtest&GMS=junebug&isGMFF=true

Here is the window sticker out of the Dodge I did buy....
    http://www.forestlake.fivestardeale...ntory-results.cgi&postalcode=55082&rid=u&dc=1

You'll have to search for the 2005 Dodge Ram 2500 "white" color at the top.

Mine was one of the bottom 2 for $41,520.

I couldn't figure out how to send the link from the window sticker right to the screen.

Last edited: Jun 14, 2005
  13. William B.

William B. Senior Member
    from S.E. IA

GM won't put the plow prep on trucks that are C/C with the Diesel. They figure you are going to plow with 5 grown adults in the cab and that it will overload the front axle rating. Extened cabs and regual cabs are avalible with the plow prep package.

William

14. ratlover

ratlover PlowSite.com Addict
    from IL

Chevy has less of a weight rating up front but still is plenty. The duramax also isnt as heavy IIRC. Fisher said I could stick a 9.5' v plow up front(witch is what I run) and with the proper ballast it carys it fine. I also have the plow prep on my truck.

The only "bugs" the allison had is the NSBU switch. Its well known. Its an easy switch to replace that can be done on your back in a parking lot if need be.

I'm not to concerned about what company has the most HP or torque for a given year. Its a marketing ploy. Next year Chevy or Ford will have the highest by 5 or 10 and then it will change again. You wont feel 5 HP but if your a power freak the duramax will make 450-500 hp with just a chip. Stock everything else.

Lotsa people dog Chevys "weak IFS" I have 48k on my 03 Chevy and am on all the factory front end parts. Someone better tell my truck its weak since I cary said 9.5' V blade just fine and also drag race it(launch in 4x4 and leave it in for the 1/4 mile) and cut mid to high 1.6's 60' times and run 12 flats on Nitrous (hope to break into the 11's next time at the track :nod: )

15. caz41

caz41 Member

lawn22, I don't know if you are just interpreting the dealer wrong or what, but I have talked with three seperate Chevy deals this week about the warranty issue. I was informed the exact same by all three; they stated that if the truck that you have does not have the plow prep package then certain items may not be covered by the warranty. Those items being something that must be damaged or faulty in direct relation to the snowplow being on the truck. They also said that it is based on a case by case basis and must be deemed to be directly related to the plow. So who ever told you that you needed to contact a district rep. and tell them you are buying a dodge if they don't warranty your truck is blowing smoke somewhere you don't want them to :cry:

Also convincing a dealer to knock $10k off the list price of new truck is a feat that I surely cannot accomplish, nor could many here I suspect.

16. lawnandplow42

lawnandplow42 Senior Member

i like your attitude ratlover GO CHEVYYYY

17. LwnmwrMan22

caz -

The (2) dealers I deal with that sell GM parts, one flat out said no way that I could even get any warranty to cover the truck if I put a plow on without the plowprep, because it would cause me to be overweight for Fed. guidelines.

The second dealer, the one I mow, finally got the district rep to say they would warranty everything on the truck, including the front end if I put a plow on the truck. Again, a case by case deal.

Next time you're in Forest Lake area, and looking to buy a Dodge, I'll hook you up and get $10k knocked off a new Dodge for you. I deal with the dealership manager, gotta get around those salesmen. Basically on my deal, they make the $100 that Dodge sends back to them if they make the quota for the month. After that it's just another vehicle that they can say they sold xxxx # of vehicles for the month.

18. caz41

caz41 Member

That's crazy that the dealers could be so much differend even though we really aren't that far apart. Two of the dealers I talked to were in the Duluth area and the other was on the Range. Still haven't decided what I'm going to do yet, so I still may take you up on the offer about the Dodge. Thanx.

19. justme-

justme- 2000 Club Member

something else missed- the Cummins has a 100K mile engine warranty on Dodges, no one else does. 70K is on the trans itself.

20. sam973

sam973 Member

Ratlover, I'm not trying to down your truck here, but your running a plow that is almost 1,000 pounds complete. With a front axle limit of 4800 pounds, that means you should have an empty weight of less than 3800 pounds( due to the plows center of gravity being several feet away from the center of the axle). There is no way you are within that limit. It may be working out for now, but the question is for how long? All of your front end parts, including brakes are going to be much more likely for early failure. Any dealer who is aware of the actual weights you are running would deny you warranty on all of those components (unless by some chance your friends with the service manager). All of those issues are in addition to the fact that you are driving around ILLEGAL. If you get in an accident with that set up you could really find yourself up a creak. We all drive around overloaded from time to time, but you have to realize your operating beyond the trucks set limits and the responsibility of anything that comes from that is 100% yours. I have overloaded many trucks, but I would not go recommending some else go and do the same since I felt it worked out ok. Just because it may appear to handle it does not make ok or safe.