1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

New Truck Purchase

Discussion in 'Business Fundamentals' started by Karlboro, Jun 19, 2013.

1. Karlboro

Karlboro Junior Member

I really do not like dealerships, however, I'm looking to add another pickup (3/4 or 1ton) with plow to the company and I am looking at purchasing new. From browsing the local Ford and Chevy Dealer sites our company qualifies for commercial vehicle sales, but I'm not really sure if that is a benefit or not.

Any thoughts or lessons learned to share along the lines of new truck purchases?

Thanks!

2. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

well less repairs on it as long as your not some yahoo plow guy who thinks it a bulldozer.I prefer new,I like to sleep and not worry if the truck will make it though a storm.

3. Plowtoy

Plowtoy Senior Member

I've plowed new, but now only buy and plow good, paid for, used trucks. It's probibly a wash when it comes right down to it. New trucks are LESS likely to break down but most all of them carry a payment. A GOOD used, paid cash for, few year old truck may go into the shop now and again for repairs other than maintenance, but if you pay attention to it, most things can be caught before they really become a problem in the middle of a snow storm. Let someone else take the 60% hit on a new truck and you buy it for 40% of its new cost 4 years later. Thats what I would do, well actually my stuff is usually closer to 8 years old when I get it and at or quickly aproaching 200k, but still plenty reliable.

4. BigBoyPlowin

BigBoyPlowin Senior Member

My reasoning for buying new x2!

This is my first year buying used for a plow truck... But now i have a full time mechanic so it should be fine. The key to breakdowns is to have an equal or greater backup on standby at all times.
    Never buy a used PLOW truck though!

5. red07gsxr

red07gsxr Senior Member
    from meriden

all of my trucks are getting old but every year i go thru all of them and usually fix anything they need. usually i am good thru out the winter. but i do enjoy not having to worry about the truck. payments suck. if you have a good mechanic your older trucks should be fine.