1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

New Truck Powerstroke VS Duramax VS Cum.

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by snow game, Nov 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. snow game

snow game Senior Member
    from RI

I'm Looking for a new truck, All three major players Ford, Chevy & Dodge Have great deals going right now. Currently I'm in an 06 with the powerstroke and 8' Fisher, but I have heard the new powerstoke gets as little as 8mpg, dealer says more like 12mpg. Current truck is getting 14mpg. Normally I don't consider fuel economy when purchasing but I put on a lot of miles (2006 has 108000 on it and runs great). I currently run Powerstrokes, Cummins and Duramax in the fleet now, But all are between 2006 and 1999 models. Give me the worst news on all of them! Also going to install the new Fisher (Blizzard expandable 8-10) does the fisher model have the same harness / electrical troubles as the Blizzard that I have heard about?

2. Ramairfreak98ss

Ramairfreak98ss PlowSite.com Addict

Honestly, from what i know

Ford superduty frame, best out there for plowing, thats why most companys stock plow mounts for these 99-08s. Also the heaviest frame, most guys wont buy these just to drive around as much as dodge or GM 3/4 or 1 ton trucks, drives the most like a truck out of all of them, could be good or bad thing though.

Ford diesel had lots of reported mainly electrical related problems with early 6.0Ls from 03-04s.. 05-07s are probably the best by far. 08 owners will sometimes disagree, but theyre alsos ucking alot more fuel so pick your battle :p

Ford torqueshift 5sp trans is great, lasts along time takes the power

GM trucks duramax/allison combo is awesome too, i dont own one but rarely hear major problems with them either. Id say the frame is a little smaller than whats in a 99+ super duty but still a great truck all around.

Dodge, i like how they look, thats all. The cummins is a great motor, i just dont like the droan sound especially from ones with exhausts, or lack there of, theyre annoying at best.

Dodge=most terrible transmissions on earth period, yet most 06+ models arnt nearly as bad as the earlier years. I have zilch for input on their new 08+ aisin trans.. name sounds funny to me like trying to copy allison or sounds like Raisin lol. Spec wise, the general info makes it comparable to a 6sp allison auto, guess dodge is trying at least. I would say dodge build quality is the worst of the top 3 truck manufacturers, but not terrible, just not as good as Ford or GM.

You could write 100 pages about them, thats the general take

3. Ggg6

Ggg6 Senior Member
    from IL

Use the search button there is a billion threads on Ford vs. Chev vs. Dodge.
    As far as I know Blizzard has nothing to do with Fisher. Fisher and Western might have the same harness, I know the hand held Fisher control plugs right into my Western harness. Also the Fisher plow plugs externally look identical to the Western 3 plug harness plugs. The Blizzard plugs I have seen are nothing like Fisher/Western plugs.

Last edited: Nov 21, 2008
  4. mikeyfff1011

mikeyfff1011 Member

ford is the best frame wise but always wash them after you plow or if it gets alot of salt cause they are the easiest to rot and some chevy and dodge frames are hidden away so salt doesnt get on them as easy. im a ford guy here is ct its hard to find a good super duty with a decent clean frame cause alot of ppl dont wash them

5. BigDave12768

BigDave12768 PlowSite.com Addict

Wow could u be more Bias to Fords?? Ok first off that P.O.S 6.0L has alot more issue than eltrical. But what ever you need to tell your self to sleep at night. The heads on motor are the biggest issue and can and have been tied in shops for over 2 weeks. Ford had to buy back so many trucks becuase of these issues. There tranny has tons of issues too. But its over shadowed by the early 90's Dodges issues. As for plow frames Ford sells more than other companies that why they stock them no other reason. Dodges are 10 times better when it comes to plowing snow.

As for Dodges Trannys the 48re's dont have nearly as many issues. The new fords have just as many. The 08 Aisin tranny is nothing new. Its been Japans answer to the Allison all along. it goes in all those Mitsubshi's Cab overs for years and proven to be a strong medium duty tranny. By far the CTD is the best motor out there. Ford and chevy both have motors designed for a pick up truck. The 5.9 Cummin was a Case-Cummins project built to go into loaders and back hoes. Power stroke or D max will never see it self in a loader. Best motor and tranny set up is the Dodge Aisin set up. Go on Ebay and look at all the Dodges with extremly high mileage on the CTD's you wont find any 6.0's or Dmax even close. and Mr Ford Read Below FYI about the rasin tranny.

Aisin automatic transmissions are manufactured by Aisin Seiki and Aisin AW, formerly known as Aisin-Warner, and which was established in 1969 as a joint venture between Aisin Seiki and BorgWarner. The joint venture terminated in 1987. While Aisin Seiki manufactures a variety of automotive components including automatic transmissions for heavy duty vehicle applications, Aisin AW manufactures automatic transmissions for light vehicle applications, including Hybrid Electric Vehicle powertrains as well as NAV Radio. As of 2005, Aisin AW surpassed General Motors Powertrain Division as the largest producer of automatic transmissions in the world, producing 4.9 million units, with a market share of 16.4% of the global market for automatics.Toyota Motor Corporation and Aisin Seiki are the two major shareholders of Aisin AW with 51.9% and 42% respectively. Aisin AW, which was set up to be the sole source of RWD automatic transmissions to Toyota, subsequently developed FWD/AWD automatic transmissions. Aisin, as one of the major Toyota group suppliers, shares many designs and development activities with Toyota. See Toyota A transmission for a complete list of Toyota/Aisin models. Aisin AW supplies automatic transmissions to 35 automotive manufacturers around the world, virtually every major OEM. These include General Motors, Ford, Mitsubishi, Nissan, Porsche, Audi, VW, Volvo, Hyundai among others.

The 6BT 5.9 L B5.9 aka the Cummins "12-Valve" was the first member of the "B" engine family to be used in a light truck vehicle. This engine started life in 1984 as an agricultural engine, for use in Case agricultural equipment by a joint venture between Cummins Engine Corp. and Case called Consolidated Diesel Corp. Appearing in the 1989-1998.5 Dodge Ram pickup truck, it quickly became a popular alternative to the large V8 gasoline engines normally used in full-size pickup trucks, while producing nearly double the torque at low engine speeds. Another distinct advantage for the diesel is extremely efficient fuel mileage(also nearly double the gasser).

This engine is also used in the Dennis Dart midibus since 1989 as well as in light to medium sized commercial trucks and buses. It used Bosch Direct Fuel Injection. The injection pumps were VE from 1989-1993 and the famous P7100 from 1994-1998.5, before going to the Cummins Electronic VP44 ISB 5.9 in 1998. In Dodge Ram pickups, the engines produced 160 hp (119 kW) and 400 lb·ft (542 N·m) from '89-'93. They produced 160–215 horsepower (119–160 kW) and 400–440 ft·lbf (542-597 N·m) between 1994-1998.5 depending on year and transmission option.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2009
  6. tjctransport

tjctransport PlowSite.com Addict

and could you be any more biased towards dodges??

i know of a lot more dodges with cummins engines that spent more time in the dealer than i know of fords with powerstrokes. .

7. ducatirider944

ducatirider944 Senior Member
    from Iowa

Do you have your Dodge is the best and then the rest suck flag hanging in your living room? I wonder if the only reason you see a cummings in heavy equipment intstead of the powerstroke or duramax is because it is the only one that is an inline motor and not a V-8? Ever see any V-8 heavy equipment? You don't see us jumping in the chevy or dodge threads and bashing them do you? As fas as the 6.0L being a POS like you stated, I have 137K on mine with only one problem, and since I work mine on a daily basis pulling 20k with it or pushing snow, I can't complain about it. If the 5.9L is the all god of diesels, why did they bump it up to 6.7L? It couldn't have been because it was the under powered one ever since chevy started puting the duramax in their trucks could it? As far as the number of problems with any vehicle manufacturer, shouldn't you look at number of units vs. number of problems? That being said, go look and you will see ford sells the most truck units, then GM, with Dodge running a far dead last out of the group.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2009
  8. JDiepstra

JDiepstra PlowSite.com Addict

Saying Ford is better cause they sell more isn't quite fair. Remember, Obama got more votes. The general public is just dumb!

Dodge trannies, since the 48RE came out in 2004, are much better than in the days where they really were crap. I am running about 150 hp over stock and have not had any problems with mine. Not to mention the new 68RE 6 speed auto is even better.

I've never plowed with a Ford or Chevy so I can't comment on that, but the OP did ask for opinions about all trucks!

I think everyone knows a diesel (except the 7.3) in a Ford is a major gamble.

Chevy has a reputable engine and transmission, but sacrifices some load capacity in the front with the IFS, in exchange for a more comfy ride for people who don't use the truck for work.

9. ducatirider944

from Iowa

Exactly my point! I didn't say ford was better because they sold more units. I said you should look at the amount of units and divide that by the number of problems they have with that unit. Why don't you reread what I had posted. As far as except the 7.3 being the only good diesel ford has made, I have owned both the 7.3 and the 6.0. I would take the 6.0 hands down over my 7.3. My 7.3 wishes it pulled as good as my 6.0 and that was with 100hp chip in the 7.3. The 6.0 is stock other than exhaust.

10. Kunker

Kunker Member

But you must admit that the perception (more important than the truth sometimes) is that both Dodge and Ford have bad trannys and the 6.0/6.4 are question marks for Ford while everyone loves the Duramax/Cummins.

To the OP - you currently run all the major players...why not decide which truck works best for you and buy another one? Or which dealer has the best support in your area?

11. CityGuy

CityGuy PlowSite Fanatic

not sure about the wiring but General Dynamic owns Western, fisher, and Blizzard.

12. CityGuy

CityGuy PlowSite Fanatic

Lets jsut make it simple buy what you are most comfortable with also ask for input from your mechanic. I personally like GM products because they ride nice with the plow off and all i have ever plowed with is GM. Personally I do not care for the allison becauser when they first came out they were very slow backing up(this may have been fixed since). My 98 5.7 was much faster. Buy what you like and what you are comfortable with.

13. JDiepstra

JDiepstra PlowSite.com Addict

Ok since you want to drag it out....

Its spelled Cummins

Of course you don't see v-8 in big rigs. V-8 diesels are junk. i.e. powerstroke

The reason they switched to the 6.7 was to meet EPA emission standards. Cummins power has always been right there with the other two. And it brings it at lower RPM's as well. If the 6.0 and 6.4 are so great why are they going bye bye so fast? Cause they can't keep up with Cummins?

You clearly pointed out that Ford sells the most, which is what I was commenting on.

14. DCSpecial

DCSpecial Senior Member
    from IL

6.0 couldn't meet emissions....so the 6.4 came out. 6.4 is going away since it doesn't look like Ford and Navistar are going to renew their contract.

I have a few 6.0s and happy with all of them.....the 5R110 trans performs very well in them, IMO.

Overall *I* like the Ford truck the best as a whole.

Ford, Chevy/GMC, and Dodge all offer good trucks, it's just a matter of personal preference.

15. BigDave12768

Umm Dodge 6.7 is 45% 5.9 parts they went up to 6.7 becuase of emmisions not becuase motors was behind. It was and still is 10 times the motor. Underpowered LOL!!!! Dodges out pull the Dmax and Power stroke all day long. As for 130k on a 6.0 better start looking for a new truck since motor is only rated for 170k and your horrible resale value will show it

16. BigDave12768

Its Douglas Dynamics. But a common mistake since General Dynamics was such a big name

17. ducatirider944

from Iowa

You are a TROLL! Oh my god, hang me I was typing fast and accidentally put a g on the end. You are also an idiot. I didn't say cummings (LMAO yes I did this on purpose) was a bad motor. When I typed "my point exactly" it was called sarcasm:ie see below. What I did say was you need to look at amount of units vs. the amount of problems. So since we are giving free school lessons today and you wanted to correct my spelling, I will run you through a mathematical example of what I was saying, since you obviously couldn't comprehend the first two times. This isn't the real numbers just an example:

Dodge sells 1000 trucks and has problems with 50 trucks, Chevy sells 3000 trucks and has problems with 125 trucks, Ford sells 5000 trucks and has problems with 200 trucks. An uneducated person could easily say Dodge is the best. Some one with any amount of common sense could see that Dodge had problems with 5% of their trucks vs. Chevy had problems with 4.167% of their trucks vs. Ford that had the most problems with trucks, still had the lowest at 4%. There for by the number the most reliable would have been Ford, even though they had the most problems.

I didn't say any one truck was better than the other, I just posted a fact that Ford sells more trucks than GM and Dodge, so they would obviously have more problems. So if you want to have a pissing match, just let me know!

Sarcasm is a form of ironic speech or writing which is bitter or cutting, being intended to taunt its target.[1] It is first recorded in English in The Shepheardes Calender in 1579:

—Achish, king of Gath, I Sam 21:10-15[2]
    Sarcasm is proverbially said to be the lowest form of wit.[3] Hostile, critical comments may be expressed in an ironic way such as saying "don't work too hard" to a lazy worker. The use of irony introduces an element of humour which may make the criticism seem more polite and less aggressive but understanding the subtlety of this usage requires second-order interpretation of the speaker's intentions. This sophisticated understanding is lacking in people with brain damage, dementia, autism[4] and this perception has been located by MRI in the right parahippocampal gyrus.[5] [6]

In certain Ethiopic languages, sarcasm is indicated with a sarcasm mark, a character that looks like a backwards question mark at the end of a sentence, similar to Alcanter de Brahm's proposed irony mark (؟). (this is from Wikipedia)

18. ducatirider944

from Iowa

Any one notice that only Dodge guys are stirring the pot here or is it just me? Ok, I surrender, Dodge is the only truck and I'm going to go buy one today!

19. nickv13412

nickv13412 Senior Member

All 3 are good trucks, Duramax and Cummins are more mod-friendly in my book, but i really dont think youll have a problem with any of the newest stuff from the big 3 IMO.

The fisher doesnt use the same wiring as the older blizzard, DD owns Fisher, Western, and Blizzard but as far as expanding plows go, they are all very different from each other

hope this helps, id write more, but ive gotta go over to the dodge forum and tell them that their trucks are all POS's because i drive a Ford and my buddy's cousin knew a guy who once subbed for a guy whos brother had a dodge and it was junk

20. ducatirider944

from Iowa

LMAO Nick, (insert high 5 smiley here)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.