1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

New Truck/Plow (Not new to plowing) - Looking for advice

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by Pokahpolice, Jun 11, 2015.

1. Pokahpolice

Pokahpolice Junior Member

Hi all - New to the forum and this is my first post so I'll start with a quick intro. My name is Bruce and I live in southern Maine. Long winters! I've been plowing for about 15 years but do not plow for a profit. I mostly just plow friends and family members for a small fee to cover my gas costs. I had some questions/concerns about my new setup and figured this may be the best place to come get some real world experienced opinions.

So, I just traded in my F350 Super Duty (46K and rusted out to the point of no return!!) for a Toyota Tundra. Lifted it 3 inches and put 35" tires on it. Sexy truck but not exactly built to plow. The dealer put a Fisher 7.5 HT series plow on it and I'm not super happy with it. Length isn't terrible but the thing is super short. When it's on the truck lifted all the way up, I literally can't see the top of the plow. I'd like to know if any of you have plowed with these and if there are any extensions available to make the plow taller? I've searched the interweb and only found a poly snofoil...I'd like something more in line with a steel snofoil but can't find anything. Any other suggested add-ons that may make cleaning up a few driveways a bit easier?

Thanks and sorry for the lengthy first post!

2. k1768

k1768 Senior Member
    from NJ

Welcome, there's a few guys on here running Tundras. I'll leave it to them to chime in, or you can do a search.

3. BUFF

BUFF PlowSite Fanatic
    from FR NoCo

Plow markers aren't enough?

4. Pokahpolice

I suppose they are. I couldn't see the plow when lowered in the F350 but this plow just seems very small....probably doesn't help that I've lifted the truck and put much larger tires. Just wondering how she'll push snow. I'm sure it will do fine.

5. Bruinzfan

Bruinzfan Junior Member

Hey there! I am new to the forum as well but not new to plowing. I am just getting back into it for next year....(Another post to follow at some point)

I used to plow with Full Size broncos years ago. Mostly driveways but I did have a few used car dealers, a church and a Masonic Lodge. One of them I ran 31" tires on during the summer. First winter with the plow I was a little slow in getting my winter tire set up on and ended up plowing with them. THEY WERE HORRIBLE! Let me repeat, THEY WERE HORRIBLE!!. I used to go with small studded snows all around, and loved them. I think the big tires prove to be too wide, not cutting into the snow, but want to float on it instead. Just my Opinion and my experience. Good luck with what ever you end up deciding.

Keith

6. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Did they modify your mount or plow??? 35" are NOT the tire to be plowing on. Plows increase wear and tear on front ends without a lift kit, with a lift kit they wear much faster with those big tires they wear even faster. 235s stay up on top you want to get down to the blacktop. Is your aframe level when the plow's on the ground? if not and the truck end is high you will only scrape with part of your blade and it will want to trip constantly.

You could add longer blade guides (they are made as long as 48") or use a snowfoil (Fisher product) to the top to raise it but IMO that is the least of your issues.

7. Pokahpolice

Sorry for the late response. I agree that a lift with big tires isn't the correct setup to plow with but I'm only plowing 2 driveways. Mine and my parents who live 3 miles from me. The plow is going to be on the truck very little so I'm not worried about the wear on the front end. The Aframe is almost level but does have a slight pitch. Honestly, I think I may be overthinking it. It's going to push snow...just may need to be a bit more patient and take my time more then I'm used to.

8. mercer_me

mercer_me PlowSite Fanatic

I use to run a 7.5' SD on a Tundra and now I run an 8' HD on my current Tundra. The Tundra can handle an 8' HD no problem. You should switch to an HD, you will be a lot happier with it.