1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

New truck plates.

Discussion in 'Business Fundamentals' started by Buckeye Chuck, Dec 2, 2004.

1. Buckeye Chuck

Buckeye Chuck Senior Member

When I get my title for my new truck, I'll have to get plates. Will they ask questions? Should I tell them I'll be plowing some. Will they have to be commercial. I'm not sure how much plowing for cash, that I'm going to do.
    Thanks

2. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

Your profile says you're 47 years old. You should have registered vehicles by this time and would know what type questions they ask. I'm not sure what you mean by "I'm not sure how much plowing for cash, that I'm going to do".

3. Tarkus

Tarkus PlowSite.com Addict

If you plan to plow for hire get commercail plates even if it only a few driveways because if you get caught plowing for money without them the fine will be a lot more than the plate fees. Same with insurance, if you plow for fee on you regualr insurance they will cancel it if you have a accident (and may not pay a claim too) Got it now?

4. Buckeye Chuck

I have read many threads on insurance.
    My State Farm agent for past 28 yrs. says I'm covered for accidents on any driveway while plowing or whatever, charging a fee or not. They have many plow trucks covered in my area. My plow and other peoples property are covered.
    I am looking into a general liability insurance for the future though, if I decide to pursue plowing for income.

5. Tarkus

Have a accident for hire plowing with non commercail insurance and watch the fireworks because your agent will not be stuck with the tab, you will. Not too many carries will underwrite snowplowing anymore properly.

6. salopez

salopez Senior Member

I dont know about OH, but in MD the MVA doesent really care what you do with your 1/2 ton truck.

7. Buckeye Chuck

This company has been here forever and I'm sure they have had accidents with people plowing. They basically told me they didn't care what I did with the truck, it was covered. I also have a no drop clause with them because I have been with them forever.
    It might have something to do with this part of Ohio or because I'm not incorporated, I really don't know.
    I am going to check with a couple plow guys I know though.

Thanks Tarkus

8. Buckeye Chuck

Okay, thanks, guess I'll call them and check it out.

9. Tarkus

They do care in Ohio but each state is different as there is no federal charter though I think there should be.

10. larryjlk

larryjlk Member

Tarkus is right. They do care in Cleveland. I was plowing with a Yukon and a cop stopped me because he thought it was a truck with a cap on it and regular plates. He let me go because a Yukon isn't a truck but the point is that a truck with a plow on it is commercial and needs the appropriate plates.

11. TLS

TLS PlowSite.com Addict

WOW! That sounds crazy.

As screwed up a bureaucracy as Pennsylvania is, we don't have special plates for pickups. However my yearly tags (sticker on license plate) are $198.

12. larryjlk

larryjlk Member

$198 sounds pretty special to me lol

13. Tarkus

You were lucky because technically you were supposed to have them even on a SUV if in commercail use unless it has changed recently.

14. TLS

TLS PlowSite.com Addict

In PA, SUV's (Suburbans, Tahoes) are considered a station wagon.

$198/year is my registration fee for 7001lbs to 10000 GVW.

Cars are $36

15. Tarkus

Ohio is nasty about "taxes" and it is vehical use not type that largely defines registration in that state.