1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

new truck - old timer

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by WMass_Mike, Aug 17, 2009.

1. WMass_Mike

WMass_Mike Junior Member

It's been a couple/few years since I've pushed drifts around, but I thought it was about time to get back to the sleepless nights.
    I spent the better part of the spring looking around for a suitable truck (used; I couldn't bankroll anything new) and I found a '99 GMC 2500 in really good shape back in June so I bought it. I've been driving it around since the beginning of June and found a couple of minor bugs, but I've decided that I found a good one.
    Now that I think it's got the umph to push snow, I'm wondering if someone here would be able to recognize the plugs that are already on the front and in the cab if I posted pics; I'm talking about brand, etc. The seller insisted that the truck has never plowed - well, anyway.... those plugs just inside the grill aren't for portable cigarette lighters.
    If someone thinks they can, let me know and I'll take the pics.
    Thanks ahead of time. ~Mike

p.s.- I hope this is the right spot for this. I searched the whole forum and couldn't find anything that answered my question.

2. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Post away with the pixs!

3. WMass_Mike

WMass_Mike Junior Member

That was quick.
    They'll be up at some point tomorrow and you can test your visual memory!

4. K1500 4x4

K1500 4x4 Senior Member

5. JohnnyRoyale

JohnnyRoyale 2000 Club Member

It could have been used to connect jumper cables too.

6. WMass_Mike

WMass_Mike Junior Member

Alright, alright - I know I should've had the pics when I started the thread. This isn't my first rodeo; sorry for the lapse!
    Does anyone recognize these? I believe the middle one is just a standard 4 prong "trailer" plug.
    (The pic of the plug in the cab didn't come out well. I'll try again in a few minutes.)

08-18-09_2145.jpg

08-18-09_2147.jpg

08-18-09_2148.jpg

7. exmark1

exmark1 PlowSite.com Addict

Hmm... I have never seen any plow with wiring like that myself. Hopefully someone can help you

8. WMass_Mike

WMass_Mike Junior Member

ok, here's the best I could get of the cab one:

08-18-09_2245.jpg

9. Bmxdkj

Bmxdkj Member

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong becuase I may me, but those might be Trucklight plow light plugs. I put a set on my Fisher but wired them up like the factory Fisher lights, and cut the plugs off. Those look awfully like the Trucklight brand plugs though.

10. K1500 4x4

K1500 4x4 Senior Member

they look like trailor lights like some had a reciever in the front of the truck to back up the trailer and the wiring in the cab looks like a wire for a cb.

11. WMass_Mike

WMass_Mike Junior Member

Now that you mention it, I think you're 100% right about the cab wiring for a 2 way radio.
    The grill wiring, I'm not so sure. The one 4 prong plug does look like it was for lights. In addition to the those 3, I actually found another today (I know, no pics again) that is a simple 2 prong pos and neg and is about 1 1/4 - 1 1/2 inches across. It just seems like lights + battery power + 2 control plugs = more than just trailer wiring :confused:

12. doo-man

doo-man Senior Member

Maybe the truck was pulled behind a travel trailer and they wired it up so they had stop/tail/turn/back-up lights, have you tried putting 12v+ to wires in the plug or check them for voltage?? Just my thoughts....

13. K1500 4x4

K1500 4x4 Senior Member

that also seems like a realy good theory you may be right although i havent seen the hook ups for the rv's

14. pohouse

pohouse Senior Member

Trace the wiring from the plugs. Usually add on accessories are easy to trace. I think they are lighting plugs. Maybe the truck had a pushbar on the front with a couple of lights. are there any switches in the cab that look like they have been added? Here's a guess. Maybe the truck was owned by a volunteer fireman. Those guys add lights up front and maybe even a siren. would explain a two-way radio also. I love a good mystery. Let us know what you find out.

15. WMass_Mike

WMass_Mike Junior Member

still investigating..... i'll let you know.

16. festerw

festerw Senior Member

Last picture looks like the control connector on my Snoway. First pic does look like Trucklite connectors. The flat 4 connector on the front could be the other end of the round one in the cab, there may have been a problem with the connector up front and a new one was spliced on.