1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

New Truck, New Plow, Mistakes on Install, Seek Advise

Discussion in 'Residential Snow Removal' started by Turbogeno, Nov 22, 2013.

1. Turbogeno

Turbogeno Junior Member

My only plowing experience is with an ATV.
    2013 V6 Tacoma, Meyer 6’ 8” Drive Pro. It’s just going to be used for my driveway and a neighbor once in a while. I installed everything on the front end and had a local shop install the wiring. I could probably have done it, but never having done one before how many mistakes would I make and how long would it take me?

Picked up the truck in the evening after the shop had closed. I had a closer look at it in the morning light. First funny thing were five connections coming out of the front end. Everything worked when I hooked it up but it didn’t seem right. That big connector is there for a reason. After an install download from Meyer it was clear, the installer didn’t send the lights through the big connector. He bypassed it entirely. The plow lights were plugged into the headlight modules in the engine bay and the lighting pigtails on the truck side and plow side harnesses were plugged into each other. There was also an unprotected wire running through the firewall and the hole wasn’t sealed back up. He didn’t install the big connector because he didn’t want to cut or modify something in the grill that I might not like, and that’s fine but he zip tied it so that it rubbed on the tire whenever I made a turn. The next morning during my inspection I found the sheathing worn off. No damage to the wiring. Beyond that it’s a pretty clean install but it does seem to me that he made some pretty rookie mistakes.

It was done at a one-man satellite office of a larger, more distant Meyer dealer. Would you bring your truck back to this guy or would you fix it yourself and try to get some $ back? My mind is pretty well made up. I don’t want him working on it.

Thanks, Geno

2. SnowFakers

SnowFakers Senior Member
    from CT

Fix it yourself. Most guys do it themselves as shop people are just trying to get it done. My install took close to 6 hours but you hardly know it's there other than the plug coming out the front

3. leolkfrm

leolkfrm PlowSite.com Addict

stone driveway??...if so put a gravel guard on it so you don't tear up the drive or grass

4. jasonv

jasonv PlowSite.com Addict
    from kannada

Wow, that's a pretty nasty sounding install.
    1) Why was the wiring routed through the grill? There is a large open space mid-bumper-cover where all the wiring fits nice and neatly.
    2) Holes drilled in the firewall? There's a big bundle of wires passing through the firewall on the drivers side, and it has a hugely oversized rubber seal. I used the coathanger+electrictape method of poking my wiring through that seal. There is no reason to drill anything.

I wouldn't let a plow dealer touch my truck. EVER. And I don't think there is any way that you'll get any money back, unless you do so through your credit card company.

Fix it yourself, its the only way. And I'm sorry to hear about your firewall.

Also, despite meyer's match up, 6'8 is too short for your truck. If you look at the specifications for that blade, it shows "plow width at full angle" to be 72". Your truck is 74" wide on the outside of the tires.

5. Turbogeno

Turbogeno Junior Member

I wrote this yesterday morning and slept on it. I didn’t want any emotions getting in the way of the facts. I fixed the wiring yesterday afternoon. The guy who did it said I’ll have to speak to the owners at the main store. I will even if it’s just to lodge a complaint. I’ll try to get some $ back but was never counting on it.

The side of the house is pavement and the back is gravel. I've seen a picture of the guard and may build one.

2012 and up have different front ends. I could have put it under the bumper guard but I did it like this.
    http://www.smithbrothersservices.co.../2012-toyota-tacoma-meyer-drive-pro-plow4.jpg

He didn’t drill any holes in the firewall, he used a sealed, existing one that was unused.

To late to get the bigger blade. I’ll have to deal with what I have or get wings.

Thanks, Geno

6. jasonv

from kannada

That picture shows it in the right place. The differences are only cosmetic. Structurally/functionally, everything is precisely the same, including that big space in the middle of the bumper cover.

7. Whiffyspark

Whiffyspark 2000 Club Member
    from SOMD

So what did he do wrong if the hole was already there? There isn't supposed to be anything on the wire anyway

8. Turbogeno

Turbogeno Junior Member

The main wiring harness that goes into the cab was sheathed.
    There was another, orange wire that was unsheathed. It goes to the light switch.
    The hole in the firewall was not jagged but had sharp edges and no grommet.
    I do not run unsheathed wire past sharp metal in any environment.
    I also don't want open holes in my firewall
    If that’s the standard way of doing it I’d be surprised.

Thanks, Geno

9. Whiffyspark

from SOMD

Your unsheathed wire should have came out of the harness inside the cab. We don't silicone holes up it will not make one bit of a difference.

You said the hole was existing I've never seen a jagged edge that is factory.

10. Turbogeno

Turbogeno Junior Member

My post stated the hole was not jagged but was sharp. The factory had some kind of black putty sealing it up. Without sealing it back up it was plenty large enough for a mouse to enter. It would be hard for any water to get in though.

Thank you for pointing out what could be another mistake. This orange wire goes to B on the light modules. The diagram shows a different orange wire coming out of the harness going to the modules. It is unused. When I get a chance to look at things more thoroughly I'll try to figure out what’s going on.

Thanks, Geno

11. jasonv

from kannada

I've got an '11 of the same vehicle (more or less...), and there are no sharp edges with putty going through the firewall. All through holes in the firewall (in fact, all body parts) have rubber grommets. Every single one of them.

12. Turbogeno

Turbogeno Junior Member

I'd guess the scratch marks are where he used some kind of tool to push back the putty. I took pictures of everything.

firewall.jpg

13. abbe

abbe Senior Member
    from RI

Post up pictures of the entire install. All of the shoddy work

14. Whiffyspark

from SOMD

Thats pretty typical

15. jasonv

from kannada

When I saw that picture, I thought for a moment that you proved me wrong, so I went straight outside to look at mine. THAT IS NOT A FACTORY HOLE!!!!

The best tell that you have to determine that, is that there is no PAINT on the cut edge. All factory holes are made BEFORE paint, so the paint will seal it up and keep it from rusting away.

16. Whiffyspark

from SOMD

You guys are worrying way too much. Theres nothing wrong with the hole. Its not going to rust away or any thing like that.

No one would cover it up either. Depending on installer they might put a grommet around it, but the harness is sheated I wouldn't even worry about it

17. Turbogeno

Turbogeno Junior Member

I didn’t mean to imply the scratch marks were a mistake, just an explanation of what may have happened.
    The flash may make it look like there is no paint on the firewall hole. I’ll have to have another look at it but I think the hole was cut at the factory.
    Pic one shows the wires coming out of the grill. He wanted these to plug into the headlight wires. Pic 2 shows the 2 wires coming out of the truck side harness. (I didn’t drive home like that; I pulled them out for clarity) He wanted them to plug into the 2 wires coming out of the plow side harness. This completely bypasses lights going through the big plug and leaves me with 5 connection points every time I mount or dismount the plow. The 2 wires in the grill should have plugged into the truck side harness wires and the wires on the plow side harness should have plugged into the lights. Then all lighting goes through the big plug and eliminates 4 connection points. Pic 3 shows where the truck side harness rubbed the tire on the way home whenever I turned.

Thanks, Geno

plow-lights.jpg

plow-plug.jpg

plow-chafe.jpg

18. thumerzs

thumerzs Junior Member
    from Ohio

Yeah, this is why I'm struggling to install my own. Too many "professionals" seem to lack any pride in a job well done. I would have gladly paid the $500 quoted by several places to do the job, if I had any faith they wouldn't scratch up my new truck and rig the install.

On my Silverado, the valance needs trimmed for the push plates - one place I was considering to do the job the guy tells me he doesn't bother putting the valance back on - "not needed." Yeah, but it'll look like crap and there's no place for the front plate it you don't put it back on. I figured if that was his attitude with what I could see, I didn't want him doing any of the stuff I wouldn't see. I could just imagine my new truck's grille thrown down on a concrete floor.

I used protection on the fenders and bumper when I was working on the truck, but feel most of these guys don't worry about keeping anything "Purdy." Even if this was a new municipal truck - I wouldn't want somebody being neglectful with the cosmetics.

Trouble is, now that I've wasted all that time trying to install it myself in order to avoid taking it somewhere, and failing to get the wiring installed correctly, I'm going to have to turn the truck over to somebody now after all.

Anybody know of recommended/reviews of installer-repair facilities by location anywhere on the net?

19. Moose's Mowing

Moose's Mowing Senior Member
    from SE PA

Try harder.....Take the time and study a wiring diagram and understand what it is you're trying to do. Take your time, plan it out, make everything neat. Plow wiring isn't all that complicated. A PITA for sure, but not rocket science. What plow are you putting on your Chevy? You mentioned the front has to be trimmed so I'm thinking a Meyer Classic Mount maybe? If it's a Meyer and you're having issues with the wiring, PM me I can maybe help you out.

20. thumerzs

thumerzs Junior Member
    from Ohio

I'm installing a Western Midweight (3 plug) on a 2013 Chevy Silverado 1500.

Got everything hooked up, but have no power at the control connector. Schematic says to check 6 amp fuse, but there is no inline fuse on this harness for the controller.

Is the controller powered by that (red) wire, or the red w/green stripe going to motor relay?