1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

"New" Truck - Needs Repairs/Maintenance

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by Dizzle13, Jan 20, 2011.

1. Dizzle13

Dizzle13 Junior Member
    from RI

At the begining of last season I bought a setup from a person who was hard on their luck and needed some money. Problem is - it sat in the grass for a couple of years because the owner died and the under carriage and alot of the plow rusted up good.

Never the less the truck, with some easy repairs - works really well and the plow did what it needed to do all last winter. It was a really good deal for under 3k. ('01 F150 with low miles) I felt it was a great investment to get into the business small time.

Anyways, the plow definently need's maintenance and I really don't know how. I've greased the pistons in the past but thats about it. This year it's low on hydraulic and I've realized I need to learn about plow care. I went around and checked and noticed that the springs are pretty dam loose and also I've got a good amount of play when the plows up.

I did some reading and people differ on opinion on their spring settings. I figure I'd propose all this to you guys. Maybe you can help a total "idiot". Already I know I am going to power wash it, re paint some of the bare metal. Some bolts need replacing as well - for now it will be a miracle if the trip spring bolts even move!

I appreciate any help.
  2. Rc2505

Rc2505 PlowSite.com Addict

The best thing you can do is go to your plow manufacturers web site, and download an owners manual, and an installation manual. Those two should tell you just about everything there is to know about your plow.
  3. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

We are here to help you brother!
    You need to get some big wrenches that fit the nuts on the spring nuts.Tighten them till the coils just start to seperate. DO EACH THIS WAY. Have you changed the pump fluid or cleaned the filter screens?
  4. Dizzle13

Dizzle13 Junior Member
    from RI

Thanks a ton my friend. I can understand the other users post as if I were an experienced user I'd likely say the thing. Unfortunately (before I joined this forum) I went to the Curtis website and they didn't have anything useful. So I searched and searched and finally found the manual for a newer Sno-Pro3000 and it had the same thing... how to piece by piece put the plow together as if it were new. But now how to service it. :(

Will do on the bolts/nuts. After some seriously WD-40. Since they are of course not normal bolts. Where would I get replacements for those? Would be nice to do in the off-season.

I have not changed the fluid and didn't know about the screens. If the screens are supposed to be visable maybe mines even missing em? As I said I noticed it was a little low so I wanted to service it all now rather than fill it up and pretend everything is ok.

I was reading somewhere that you can use the left right controls to purge each hydraulic of it's fluid while cleaning.

Thanks again.