1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

New truck, need help

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by skykingrob, Jul 29, 2014.

1. skykingrob

skykingrob Junior Member

Hi Western Gurus
    I have an older 7'6" pro plow with unimount that I plow my driveway and neighborhood, no commerical stuff. Plow is in great shape so do not want to part with it if at all possible.
    I had the plow originally mounted on a 1998 Chevy 1500 extend cab. Two years ago I changed to a 2006 Chevy 1500 extend cab. I had to buy the unimount adapter, new truck side mounts, new plow lights and truck side wiring harness. Plow worked great, no problems but I got the fever last month and bought a 2007 Chevy (new body style) Silverado quad cab. Now I need to convert the plow to the new 2007 truck. I was told by my local dealer I need the new mounts, model # 31599. That makes sense because of the new truck. But he is trying to tell me I need a new truck side wiring harness (unknown part #-cost $250) again, new plow side headlights again(unknown part #-cost $150) and this time he wants to add a new plow harness (unknown part #-cost $50) plus install at $550. All that comes to more than $1500. Before I spend that amount of cash, I want someone else to verify just exactly what I need for sure especially if they can get me in for less money than that. I knew I would need new mounts and had planned for them ($500) and expected some incidentals, but $1000 of them. Whoa.
    Someone out there than can help?

Springfield, MO
    Last edited: Jul 29, 2014
  2. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

What wiring harness did you buy for the 06. And remember the 06 1500 and 07 2500 are different lights
  3. mishnick

mishnick 2000 Club Member

This all depends on your existing wiring. The uni originally came with a two plug (at the grill) relay controlled truck side wiring system. If it still has that you will need the headlight harness (for the new truck) only. Everything else should work. If it has been upgraded to the three plug system with an isolation module then you still only need the new headlight harness???? Sounds to me like you have the old relay system and he wants to upgrade it to isolation module / three plugs.
    How many plugs did the unit have on the old truck? Two or three?
  4. nealybird

nealybird Senior Member

yea, we need to know if they changed you over to isolation module wiring when they mounted it two years ago on the '06. since they sold you plow lights, and all the wiring for the truck, I certainly hope they went with isolation. That would have been the smart way to do it, and couldn't make too much difference on price vs new 12 pin relay lights and 12 pin relay truck wiring.

Like mishnick is asking - one easy way to tell is by the number of plugs at the grill. if you have one battery cable plug plus two more, then you have iso wiring. There would be a rectangular black plastic box under the hood that the harnesses plug into.

If you let us know that we can give you all the info you need. thanks!