1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

New Truck..Need a bedliner and your opinion

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by gallucci, Jan 13, 2012.

1. gallucci

gallucci Junior Member

I recently purchased a new truck for plowing and need to get a bedliner in asap. I had a plastic liner in my last truck and it held up well but too much slipping and sliding of materials in the back. I was considering a spray on liner. Anybody out there had any good or bad experience that they want to share, I will listen. Thanks
  2. superdog1

superdog1 Senior Member

Roll on liner

It seems that all of my buddies are now putting roll on bed liner on EVERYTHING! We just got done covering the entire outside of an F550 mason dump body with it. I guess it is a good idea, as the stuff is pretty tough to mark, marr or even scrape. They are also using it for undercoating! The one dump has it on the underside now for over a year and it does resist stone chips really well.

I personally prefer the plastic liners, as even though they do rub back and forth, they stop a lot of the dents and dings you see in most beds. It is easy to re-paint the bed but a major PITA to repair all of the dents and dings if you try to fix it up for re-sale.

I have noticed that if it is put on fairly thick and a stone chip does get down to metal, it will start to rust underneath if the bond to the metal is not good and the rust will spread in a circular pattern underneath, keeping the moisture in and speeding up the rusting process.
  3. Landcare - Mont

Landcare - Mont Senior Member

We've had the boxes of the last 3-4 pickups we've bought sprayed professionally - costs about $600/unit but we think it's well worth it. Stuff cannot get underneath the spray-on as it does with the plastic liners; you can still use the tie-downs without opening/losing the little caps, etc. The plastic ones do seem to resist dents better. It depends on what you're using the box for and how roughly you (or your employees) treat the truck.
  4. gallucci

gallucci Junior Member

What brand of Spray Liner did you have put on your trucks and can it take a beating? Also, do you know if they make a plastic liner that has a rough texture on the bottome to prevent slippage of materials? I don't think I want to go the roll on route with a new vehicle, you don't get a second chance once you coat it.

Thanks guys!
  5. Canplow

Canplow Senior Member

I hear rihno liner works well not sure on cost? But if you want max protection roll on under coat in the bed then put a plastic box liner in it this will help prevent rubbing and every spring you can pull it out wash the bed down and reapply under coating. Its like $40 a gallon!
  6. Hunter9

Hunter9 Member

I have used more than one brand or roll on and they work OK. But are no where near the level or spray in urethane liners.

Since going to Line-x 3 trucks ago, I haven;t looked back. Just bought a new/used 05 F350 in Sept and 2 weeks later it had a fresh Line-X. The stuff rocks, period.

Rhino and some others are very similar and will probably do the job for you as well. Just use a reputable place that will stand behind it.
  7. gwhalen3

gwhalen3 Member

No liner. Just a rubber mat on the floor and rail covers. Cheap, effective, protects plenty and you get full bed use. It's a truck.
  8. Landcare - Mont

We used Line-X. The texture is no-slip but not really rough. You can get them to spray up over the top of the box and tailgate too to help protect them as well. On of our trucks, we left the plastic liner on the tailgate instead of spraying it. The Line-X is less slippery than the plastic.
  9. Mackman

Mackman PlowSite.com Addict
    from S.E. PA

I used the raptor spray kit on my ranger. It looks good. But it is not tuff at all. If i had a brand new truck i would spend the money and get Line X.
  10. Landcare - Mont

If you're looking for dent protection, we used old conveyor belt material in one truck. It certainly minimizes the dents but you have to take it out to clean every time you put sand or gravel or salt in the box.
  11. theholycow

theholycow PlowSite.com Addict

^What he said.

I prefer corrugated plastic bedliners for their structural rigidity, but also because they are so slippery. I have to strap my cargo whether the bedliners is slippery or grippy. If it's slick I can load heavy things myself by sliding them in...if not I might need a few guys to load something heavy.

^Him too. Also, if you want all that protection PLUS the non-skid surface, lay down a coat on the plastic bedliner. You'll be hauling around half your payload capacity in bedliners, but it'd be a really nice setup.

However...it's a truck, not a museum piece. Trucks are used for hauling stuff. The bed functions just as well with scratches and dings to the cargo surfaces as it does brand new.
  12. dmontgomery

dmontgomery PlowSite.com Addict

I have a 6 year old truck with Rhino in it.......it have been great....one major scuff/cut on the tailgate....but other than that is has been bullet prooof
  13. lbmd1

lbmd1 PlowSite.com Veteran

Just had my 2011 Silverado Linex'ed. They have a coupon right now through Val Pack for $200 off. Got my bed done with the over rail linex for $399!!! Came out nice.
  14. ratherbfishin

ratherbfishin Senior Member

I got linex in my new truck.So far so good,but only 6 month old.Seems fairly durable/slip resistant.The best I ever had for slip proof was a Deezee rubber mat.
  15. mike ward

mike ward Member

Rhino lining here in Cincinnati was aweful. We did some pickups and did a f550 bed. it has failed miserably and corrosion has gotten to the bed. We have better success with Line-x
  16. DScapes

DScapes Member

Line-X 100%, just had my truck done and am very pleased with the results. Had over the rail and dropped the line about 5inches on the outside as that is where the majority of the dings occur, had the bottom rocker panels sprayed behind the rear wheels up to the tail lights, and also had the rear bumper completely wrapped as this is a 2500 Sierra with a snowex 1075 salter. Highly recommend. Just need to find a new tailgate without dents to have wrapped next!
  17. ratherbfishin

ratherbfishin Senior Member

Ya,me too;Though I didn't want to be the first to dump on Rhino.I had my one ton done,what a mess.I just recently had it blasted and painted!
  18. palmtree907

palmtree907 Member

Rhino lining!