1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

New Truck Help, Ford Or Dodge

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by KSB, Feb 12, 2013.

1. KSB

KSB Member

Looking to purchase a new truck, 2012 ford F-350 or Dodge 3500. We currently have several 2008 Ford F-350 that have become maintenance nightmares. Any suggestions?

2. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Trade them up for the 2012 Fords!

3. xtreem3d

xtreem3d PlowSite.com Addict

4. Buswell Forest

Buswell Forest PlowSite.com Addict
    from NH

Ford. The new 6.2 gas is a great engine, and the 6 speed auto is awesome too.

MOPAR / FIAT / RAM ?
    [​IMG]

5. thelettuceman

thelettuceman PlowSite.com Addict

I am a Ford guy but .... Ram's are aggressively priced. You might save $1000's off a comparable Ford. If money is no object, skip the Ram and get a Ford

6. Buswell Forest

Buswell Forest PlowSite.com Addict
    from NH

Business 101- firesale prices on the stuff nobody wants.

7. icudoucme

icudoucme Senior Member

GO TEST DRIVE THEM first. The new RAMS are so much smoother then the fords. Also the interior is easier to use and my opinion is just nicer

I've going between all three manufactures and was leaning toward the ford also but the RAM is just awesome. TRY it!!! Just go drive one.

The dodge holds a better load in the back, but the ford holds a plow better.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2013
  8. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

9. motoxguy

motoxguy Senior Member
    from WI

I've have both a 09 ford diesel and 09 dodge diesel as well all around truck I like the ford but motor wise I'd take the dodge hands down. Even for the 2012 and 2013 I think I would take the dodge if your looking at a diesel truck because they have proven motor and with less emission stuff on the truck. Also dodge has a much better warranty and I believe for a extra 2k you can buy a lifetime warranty.

10. TJSNOW

TJSNOW Senior Member

Maintenance Nightmares How?????......Please explain.....:confused:

11. Chris112lee

Chris112lee Member

I had my 2011 F-350 for sale and had someone offer to trade his identical 2011 Ram 3500.

and I wouldnt call the cummins 6.7 a proven motor, Seems to be the least reliable of the 3.

12. kawasaki guy

kawasaki guy Senior Member

i am a ford guy.

get the powerstroke...

13. kawasaki guy

kawasaki guy Senior Member

same here...

14. LDULIN

LDULIN Junior Member

we have several fords with very few issues, always ford for us

15. bln

bln Senior Member

I started off with a dodge, switched to a Ford, My next truck will be a dodge. I feel as though the Dodge didn't struggle to move snow like the Ford does. I never got stuck in the Dodge but have been stuck twice with the Ford. The Ford is a Diesel and the Dodge was a 488 V-10. I miss that truck.

16. procuts0103

procuts0103 Senior Member

Neither! LOL

Duramax!!!!

17. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

Now here is the smart guy! :D

I have not had the chance to drive a 2011+ Dodge but the 2011+ Fords are really nice trucks and even stock have some pretty good power. Their quite a bit different then the 6.4s were stock.

18. Sawboy

Sawboy PlowSite.com Addict

Ford. No question

19. plowguy43

plowguy43 PlowSite Fanatic

Honestly depends on what your maintenance nightmares are since the Ford is generally the same truck all around as your 08. Yes the engine is all new, but the tranny (while improved and 6 gears) is the same. I'm assuming the maintenance you are talking about would be brakes/steering/suspension?

Either way you really can't go wrong with either one. The engines are fairly evenly matched but the Dodge is a little quicker due to being lighter and it also has a nice 6 speed tranny (based off the Cummins 68RFE). I personally think the Dodge has a nicer ride and the cabin is more "solid" feeling when going over bumps/rough roads.

That being said, I'd go with the Ford. I think the 6.2 has more torque for towing/hauling, I like Ford's trans tuning better (shifts when you want it to), and I like the "open" feeling of the cab on the Ford.

Fiat = Ferrari, Alpha Romeo, Maserati. Any more questions?

I agree, best bet is to go drive them. I'd also check out the 2011+ GM's. The 6.0 is nicely matched with the new 6 speed as well and the new Frame/Suspension is awesome (A little stiffer ride then the rest IMO again).

If your talking diesel, I'd still go Ford, Chevy second, Dodge last.

20. Cutter1

Cutter1 Senior Member

I have a 2011 dodge and 2012 ford. I prefer the ford. Pulls harder, drives nicer. 21k on it and not one problem. They are pricing the dodges to move though. Seems like they dont have t do as many rebates to move the fords. :)