1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

New Truck Getting ready for First Southern Maryland Winter

Discussion in 'Equipment, Tools & Vehicle Pictures' started by xp1ik05, Jul 30, 2011.

1. xp1ik05

xp1ik05 Junior Member

hello all, just recently moved down to southern maryland up from va due to the military, originally from Upstate NY so i know all about the snow, used to plow at a previous job but havent had the need or vehicle for it the last 7 years, just picked up this 05 F350 5.4, added the leveling kit and 35's now im plow shopping, still cant decide on which to go with, probably going to pick up a used plow at first just to see how this winter goes, any recomendations would be appreciated, not liking the blizzard plows with everyhting being down so low i just see getting stuck easier idk maybe im crazy, really liking fisher, boss and western v-plows......

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Boss v plow,either a 8.2 or 9 ft.

3. Mackman

Mackman PlowSite.com Addict
    from S.E. PA

Fisher or Western Vs

4. PabstBlueRibbon

PabstBlueRibbon Senior Member

holy gas hog with the gas job in her, but clean looking truck.

5. xp1ik05

xp1ik05 Junior Member

Gas hog? I guess compared to a terrible 6.0 but I wanted this truck. I get around 13-14 mixed so I'm happy with that for such a big truck.

6. seville009

seville009 Senior Member
    from CNY

I've got an '06 F-350 CC 5.4l with an 8.5' Western MVP with wings. Works great; truck handles it all fine. Won't win any speed trials, but that's not what it's for, of course. Very rarely use 4lo; if I do, it's just to be on the safe side. I carry about 850 lb of ballast.

7. exmark

exmark Senior Member

Awesome truck man and welcome. I currently run a 8.6 western mvp on my f.250. Seems to work great. How much did that line x on the bottom rockers run you? Im planning to get that done to mine before winter.

8. xp1ik05

xp1ik05 Junior Member

It's actually not line-x the guy before me thought it would be a good idea to paint the bottom with the spray can bedliner. Looks even worse in person I'm plannng on painting it before winter back to a stock silver.

9. randomb0b123

randomb0b123 PlowSite.com Addict
    from america

a 5.4 moving a truck w 35s you should just name it white lightning. i vote boss v for plow

10. xp1ik05

xp1ik05 Junior Member

Eh it's not bad. Truck comes stock with about 33.5 Inch tires......

Seems like alot of boss votes?

11. randomb0b123

randomb0b123 PlowSite.com Addict
    from america

yes direct lift sweet theyre very popular around here if you have a dealer close by id go check them out

12. bigc1301

bigc1301 Senior Member

I vote for the boss vee

13. Mackman

Mackman PlowSite.com Addict
    from S.E. PA

Fisher or Western. Can i vote 2times to even the playing field lol

14. wideout

wideout Senior Member
    from iowa

with western you have normal ground clearance in the summer months just something to keep in mind

15. teamgreendude

teamgreendude Senior Member

DO YOURSELF A FAVOR AND GET A BOSS !!!! fisher is a close second and maybe a meyer for a 3rd choice. I like the boss mounting and the meyer mounting system both are very fast. What did you do in the military ? My father just retired from 29 years in the air force.

16. xp1ik05

xp1ik05 Junior Member

I'm still in the military. Been in 7 years now. Don't know how much longer I'll be in though. It's a good job but getting kinda sick of airplanes and moving all over the place.

I like the fact that western plow frames don't sit as low in the summer time.

17. PabstBlueRibbon

PabstBlueRibbon Senior Member

6.0 only has 2 problems that are an easy fix.

18. mercer_me

mercer_me PlowSite Fanatic

Nice truck. My vote is for the Fisher Xtreme V.

19. mike6256

mike6256 Senior Member

Um, Western or Fisher!!

20. xp1ik05

xp1ik05 Junior Member

2 to many. It's always a down hill battle with that engine. I've spent too much time working on them the last few years. I'd rather save the money bulletproofing it, buy the truck I want and put that money towards a 24v........just sayin.