1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

new truck...first yr plowing....timbrens?

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by UPS, Oct 6, 2003.

1. UPS

UPS Junior Member

Ok..I'm not very mechanically inclinded so I could use some info on this one. I just bought an 03 chevy straight cab 3/4 HD with plow prep. I'm just starting plowing this year and I bought a 7.5' Lexan snoway and a snoway opta flow spreader. What do I need to do when I go out to plow if anything? I've heard talk about Timbrens and torsion bars but honestly I don't know anything about either of them and that includes installing or adjusting. Give a new guy some help here.

PS. I don't want to do anything to void my warranty so if I have to have someone do the work then I'm willing to do that.

PSS. I know the snow plow prep offers the auxilarly light switch for the emergency light so who do i get to install a light for that?? GM dealer???

Thanks in advance,
    Unlimited Property Services
  2. cat320

cat320 2000 Club Member

Well the place where you got the plow can do the timbrens but you could really do them yourself if you can undo a nut and bolt.The light wire any truck acc, place can wire it up.
  3. wxmn6

wxmn6 PlowSite.com Addict

Timbrens should be very simple to install. All you would need is jack and some wrenches and you should be able to do it. It's no rocket science job.

The aux. lamp button controls the power going out to the wiring harness right above the headliner. It is designed for roof beacon but you can pull it out and use it for something else.
  4. UPS

UPS Junior Member

Let me first say I'm quite capable of turning wrenches...lol
    I just wouldn't know what bolts to remove and where the timbrens go....Are there installation instructions with them?? Also, is it necessary for me to have them on this truck with this blade??

So, how do I get to the wiring harness above the headliner and is drilling into the roof what has to be done to install the light??

Thanks for taking the time to respond and for the great info...I really do appreciate and really enjoy this site.

5. ChevyHD4X4

ChevyHD4X4 Senior Member

Jack up one side at a time,just so the tire is off the ground.I installed a set its easy, remove the old bump stops. If I remember right there is a nut on top, remove and the bump stop falls down and install the new one, 30 mins max!no blade is necessary.
  6. cat320

cat320 2000 Club Member

7. wxmn6

wxmn6 PlowSite.com Addict

Being that your plow probably is lightweight (I assume), and if so, you probably don't necessarily need a set of Timbrens. You don't need a set of Timbrens to make the plow work, but it is to help with reducing the sag on front end with plow on the truck.

As for wiring harness above the headliner... it is something that you would have to figure out for yourself because I cannot clearly explain how to do it. All I can say is that you will need to remove the molding on "A" and "C" pillars, and use a small slotted screwdriver to pull out the small tabs that hold the grab handles and shirt hangers on the headliner. Then the headliner should come out and you should see the wiring harness there. You don't necessarily need to have roof mounted beacon. You could pull that wire out and re-route it for something else other than roof mounted beacon. Some even routed it out through the rear center high mounted stop lamp (CHMSL) and make a connector so they can plug in with their magnetic light beacon. Try to do a search on that. I know that there were some pics posted that show this.
  8. wyldman

wyldman Member

That is a pretty light plow compared to what you could put on it,but I would still recommend the Timbrens,The truck will carry the plow better,handle better,and bottom out less.You probably won't need to touch the torsion bars,as the Timrens should do the trick.
  9. cat320

cat320 2000 Club Member

I just did the timbrens in my truck and did not touch the torsion bars.It does pretty good.The best thing i did I put them in front and back does good when 'm towing not letting the tongue bring the rear end down.
  10. Little Jay

Little Jay Senior Member

well i'm cheap and have used many trucks like yours. if you have the $, Timbrens are easy and worthwhile-you wont regret it. otherwise turn the torsion bars up 3-5 turns till the truck stands how you need it to.
    The aux light switch has been discussed here somewhere and there is a link to a diagram. The blunt cut wire is coiled above your headliner, right above your head (black and brown.brown is hot black is ground) run it out your upper brake light lens (drill a whole and fill it in with clear silicon around the wires). should take you 15-30 min depending on how many beers you have
  11. UPS

UPS Junior Member

Great info on the aux light Little Jay. I've done a search on this stuff but I don't seem to get the right info to come up. So, does the whole headliner come down?

Think I'm gonna order the timbrens...Any particular place online that sells them cheap or does an auto parts store carry something like that?