1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

New truck dealers are stupid

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by itsgottobegreen, Feb 8, 2005.

1. itsgottobegreen

itsgottobegreen PlowSite.com Addict

I saw at a ford dealership today four 2005 F-350xl diesel 4x4 with plows on them.

One had a Meyer
    One had a Boss
    One had a Western
    One had a Fisher

I thought this is a good idea. :drinkup: You can look at all the plows together and decide with one you like. Then just buy that truck. Well after looking at them more closely. Each plow was a 7' 6" standard duty version. What the !#$$*$#(*&^&^%&()@$%%$#$#$ :realmad: Who in their right mine would put a 7' 6" standard duty plow on a super duty truck. Those trucks should have at least a 8' or 8' 6" heavy duty plow.
    Can anybody explain this?
    The sales guy said it would do less damage to the truck. No! the truck will damage the plow. I wanted to shoot him in the head for trying to sell me something he didn't knowing a damn thing about. :gunsfiring: :confused:
  2. drplow

drplow Senior Member

the smaller the plow the longer it takes to plow. then the faster you plow to make up for lost time and the faster the truck gets beat.
  3. snow warrior

snow warrior Member

4. scuba875

scuba875 Senior Member

I think if you want to talk to a salesmen who know what he is talking about you have to go to a commercial ford truck dealer. The Ford dealers around me know very little about trucks other than what is in the brochure. My friend buys all his F350 Dually's at Badger Truck in Wisconsin. It's 80 miles from his house to go up there. I drove him up for his last purchase and these guys know their trucks. They don't have a car on the lot.
  5. DJDarknez

DJDarknez Member

The guys at Golf Mill Ford seemed to be somewhat knowledgeable when I was there. They were at least smart enough to know when they had to look something up.
  6. scuba875

scuba875 Senior Member

I never have been there. I bought my last new truck in 97 and I got it from Waukegan Ford. My friend Phil bought a van from Golf Mill ford for his Dj business and he was really happy with the service there.
  7. SkykingHD

SkykingHD Senior Member

uninformed truck salesmen

They sell trucks and don't know much about snowplowing. It is all about making money for them. They don't care about you.

Remember "anything connected to automotive is evil"

8. The Boss

The Boss 2000 Club Member

Hmm, I have an extended cab long bed and used to have a 7.6 straightblade on it. No problems :rolleyes: There's a ton of local guys and people on here with 7.6 plows on superdutys. :rolleyes:
  9. dlcs

dlcs 2000 Club Member

I have 7.5' plow on my 2500 Chevy extended cab long bed. The f 250 w/ 7.3 diesel, has a 7.5 western on it too. I need the 7.5 plow for drive thru lanes at banks and fast food places. I also have a set of wings too for me its the best set-up.

But... installing a "standard" duty plow on a f-350 is dumb. I would have definately gone with a heavier plow.
    Last edited: Feb 8, 2005
  10. Plow Meister

Plow Meister PlowSite.com Addict

I have a 7'6" Western on my PSD. I guess I am stupid too. ;)
  11. The Boss

The Boss 2000 Club Member

Well, it looks like dlcs and Plow Meister are with me on this one. Bigger is NOT ALWAYS better.
  12. TLS

TLS PlowSite.com Addict

Measure your track width of the front axle.......

Without wings, at full angle, a 7'6" plow will NOT cover the front wheel track of most 3/4-1ton trucks.

If your happy with just barely plowing your track width, a 7'6" is fine. An 8' plow covers you width plus an inch or so on either side......still not all that much wider than your track width, and with spill-back, your rear tires will be riding in it and pulling snow back in. So, ideally, an 8'6" blade is needed to cover full angle with 4" to spare beyond each tire.
  13. justme-

justme- 2000 Club Member

I would have to guess many dealer's simply put on the cheapest plow from a given brand for the application- hence the standard duty 7.6. If the dealer sells cars and trucks you have to really research and find out if they sell large numbers of trucks- there is a 4 star Dodge dealer near me that sells the most trucks in the area but they almost never have anything bigger than a 2500.

If you have an 8 foot blade angled all the way you should be able to fit through any drive through opening-
  14. Up North

Up North Senior Member

IMO the dealership can put whatever plow on whatever truck they want and they probably have a very good reason for doing so. Probably to keep the truck/plow package under a certain $$ figure. Heck, I think it's pretty cool they put the plow on before selling the truck, you don't see that very often up this way. And nothing wrong with 7.5ft plows, they seem to be a little more manueverable. Personally I think I'd go with any 7.5 before an 8 footer unless it's the 810.

15. dlcs

dlcs 2000 Club Member

Dealerships here used to put plows on the new 3/4 trucks all time. But they would send them to Monroe truck equipment to get them installed. Price for a 7.5 Western pro plow would add a whopping 5,000 grand to the price of the truck. People have cought on here that you can get a plow installed cheaper localy.
  16. William B.

William B. Senior Member
    from S.E. IA

Of the major dealerships around here, they use the following
    Shottenkirk in Mt P
    05 F-350 SRW Regular cab Western V
    01 F-250 Regular Cab Western 7 1/2 Straight

Shottenkirk in Burlington
    05 F-350 SRW Regular cab Western V
    05 F-350 SRW Regular cab Boss Poly V

Derry Bros in Burlington
    04 GMC 2500HD Ext Cab Short bed Western V

Everyone around here either runs a Western or Hiniker because there are local dealers for the 2.

17. szippijr

szippijr Member
    from S.E Pa

Dealearship don't put the plow on. It s the aftermarket body aand assc. companys. They put on what ever they have an overstock of. It you want a specif plow there will be no prob. This gives the dealar a better price and helps the aftermarket company move invintory. Besids whats wrong with a 7.5. A lot of guys rum em around here.
  18. itsgottobegreen

itsgottobegreen PlowSite.com Addict

It was talking more about all of them being standard duty plows. A heavier duty plow is what those trucks needs. This is why the dealer ship is stupid. Those plows should be on a lighter duty truck.

I know a lot of guys run 7' 6" plow, some even swear by them. Personally I would put a 8' 6" on that size truck.
  19. mdb landscaping

mdb landscaping Senior Member

ive got a 9 foot straight blade curtis on mine........ i cant see going smaller. i know not everybody buys a truck to commercially plow. many just buy to plow a few driveways or a place or two. i think the dealers order what on avg. people want. if somebody who plows commercially comes in and wants a truck, they probably are gonna know what they want to put on it anyway.
  20. lawnkid

lawnkid Senior Member

I do see alot of trucks around here with 7.5' plows but the thing that kills me is on the DRW's, most dealers only hang an 8' plow on and when angled the rear wheels track in the snow. Every week I see truckloads of new 2005 Frods and Chevys being delivered to Zoresco around here and all come out with Meyer plows on them. The Meyer factory is only about 5 miles from my house so everyhting sold at a dealer gets sold with a Meyer.