1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

New Truck and setup

Discussion in 'Residential Snow Removal' started by mikez044, Nov 23, 2012.

1. mikez044

mikez044 Junior Member
    from PA

I plow 5 drives and one private road for myself and my neighbors. I currently have a 99 f250 with a Fisher 7.5 MM1 with lots of miles and rust which is ready to be retired. Over the past year it has been giving me more problems then its worth. I am looking at getting a chevy or gmc 1500 or 2500. It has to be a crew cab and I'm thinking a short box. Year 08 or newer...
    what setup whether it be 1500 or 2500 with a plow would everybody recommend?
    again i only do 1 private road which is about 1/2 of a mile long and 5 driveways which are 250 to 350 feet long.
    should I stick with the 1/2 ton or go for the 3/4?
  2. YardMedic

YardMedic PlowSite.com Addict

Most people will respond with 3/4 ton, but a half ton will move a LOT of snow. Part of it depends on what you need the truck for when not plowing snow. Is it a commuter truck, or just dedicated to plowing?
  3. durafish

durafish PlowSite.com Addict
    from 02919

I would go 3/4 ton. A 1/2 ton will do fine but over time you will wish you had a 3/4 ton. But like he said its all about what you need out if a truck.
  4. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

More like a F250 with a Boss V plow !
  5. durafish

durafish PlowSite.com Addict
    from 02919

I figured that was coming lol