1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

New Truck and plow

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by BOSSMAN21, Jun 20, 2009.

1. BOSSMAN21

BOSSMAN21 Senior Member

How does this truck sound to you? It is a 2002 Chevrolet 2500HD gasser with a 2000 8' Fisher HD straight blade. The truck has no dents and just has the plastic on the front bent in a little from where the guy hit a deck plowing. The plow is pretty rusty but I think with some sanding and a fresh coat of paint that it will look just fine. I think the guy said it had 60,000 miles on it but I am waiting for him to get back to me with a price, what would be reasonable for this truck? I was thinking in the range of 8-9 grand but that is jmo. What do you think? It also has a lightbar on top and has power everything inside. BTW I will probably just be doing 15-20 residentials and one small parking lot with it.

2. Burkartsplow

Burkartsplow PlowSite Veteran

sounds like a good number

3. Skid Mark

Skid Mark Member
    from ny

sounds ok to me

4. MSS Mow

MSS Mow Senior Member
    from Maine

Hey Scott,

I'd be leary about that truck. The reason I say that is because they have had that truck on the lot for 5-6 years, possibly longer. No joke, literally they've had it forever. There's got to be a reason no one buys it. I drove it years ago as a loaner, but I can't really say I remember much about it specifically. I don't understand why they just don't take it and dump it at auction. Whatever they are asking for it, I'd offer them half. I'd ask them how long they've had it on the lot, and if they say anything less than 5 years, they are lying. Like you said, the plow is a rust bucket too.

I have bought 4 vehicles (3 used and 1 new) from them, and I'll never buy another one. I've had terrible luck with service and warranty work there. Granted, it has been several years now since I dealt with them, so perhaps things have changed, but I speak from my own prior experience. There is new management there now. It's too bad too, because I would really like to be able to buy locally, and since they are the only game in town, I now go to Bangor. Take everything I've said with a grain of salt, as I have had bad experiences there and would encourage anyone to buy elsewhere. However, I just hate to see someone get screwed. I really think you could find a better truck than this one.

5. BOSSMAN21

BOSSMAN21 Senior Member

thanks dean, that is great info. I will see what they want for it and then get the specs on it. I am looking for a truck that is under 10 grand if I could keep it there and something that will be reliable. I was kind of wondering if Varneys or morrisons had anything used as well. I still have some time till the snow flies I hope....lol.

6. bigbadbrad

bigbadbrad Senior Member

Check out Darlings used lot, and Quirks lot out on union st.,
    they usualy have some used plow trucks there for under 10g. I got my superduty at the old Bean and conquest lot by seadog on the water front. They usually allways have plow trucks there, but alot of times are wholesale, which don;t require much work to get a sticker, they just dont want to put money into them, alot of times I have seen people buy them tow they to their local garage and they throw a sticker right on em, once they are registered at least, good luck ,and good to see some more mainers on here

7. MSS Mow

MSS Mow Senior Member
    from Maine

No sweat.

I stopped in today and looked at it. The frame has got some rust, but that's pretty typical of that year range. Like I said before, if you really want that truck, then offer them way lower than they ask. If they don't bite, don't buy it.

If you go to Varney's, ask for Larry Comer. I've bought two new trucks through him now and love dealing with him. He won't bullsh*t you. Not sure if they got much in there inventory in your price range right now, but it doesn't hurt to check around. I'll keep my eye out for ya too. Take a look on Unclehenrys.com too. Some decent deals on there.

8. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Excellent advice here. It took 6 weeks for me to buy my truck down here in Rockport. They were asking 12, I offered them 8. 8 was about 1,500 more than they could draw at auction on a good day. Said their best cash price was 10,700 plus tax and papers. I said see you later. Did some praying :angel: for a couple of weeks, they called back and said they would take 9,500 for the truck. Took it for the weekend, offered 9 plus tax and title. No way I was paying almost $400 doc fee on a nine year old truck. Ended up driving it out the door for less than 10 grand all in. At the time, it was a great deal.

Just curious, is this an oddball truck, like Ex Cab long bed? That's what mine is, no back doors, gas guzzling 350 with 4.10 gears. It was just what I wanted, and fortunately no one else did.

It's crazy how much the price of trucks has dropped in two years.

Good luck truck hunting. Be patient and firm, but not an A$$hole. Yeah, you might get a better deal in Bangor, but really check the truck out so you don't make a dozen trips back getting piddly little stuff fixed. Do you have a good local mechanic that can work on it?

9. MSS Mow

MSS Mow Senior Member
    from Maine

The truck he's looking at is not an oddball. It's a reg cab long bed 3/4 ton. Nothing odd except it's been on the lot for years. You're right, PATIENCE is key in purchasing a vehicle.

10. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Maybe the dealer's been using it to clear the lot, and whenever someone comes in to look at it, they steer them to different trucks. Some dealers use brand new trucks to plow, some run 15 year old jewels.