1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

New Truck and plow advice plz respond!

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by Gbfireman99, Oct 13, 2010.

1. Gbfireman99

Gbfireman99 Junior Member

Hi guys, New to the site here. I picked up a New to me 2002 Dodge ram 2500 with a 8 foot MM2 plow. Truck has plow package, SLT, 5.9 etc. So far i haven't plowed with This specific truck but it has basicly no front end sag, and rides nice. I bought it with 80k and the plow was installed last year...yeah likely story but i have all the paperwork proving that...i was wary to of this. Anyways i am trying to get the most out of this truck lasting wise, so Does anyone have any advice, tips, expirences, do's don'ts. etc for this truck set up. Making the tranny last, joints and bearings replacements, what to look for and so on. Also i know the 4x4 works but the light doesn't come on the dash, is that an issue or i shouldn't worry about it? 4x4h, low, and so on all work i've tested it, no clunking, no noises, etc. i know this is a boat load of questions at once, but you can give me a general comments. I thank you in advance!

2. peterng

peterng Senior Member

GB,

You probably should try a discussion forum that is specific to Dodge trucks with those questions, you may get more response. Or try the Doge subsection of this forum. If you have plow specific questions, they would be better suited to this area.
    Good luck,
    Pete

3. plowguy43

plowguy43 PlowSite Fanatic

All in all you got yourself a nice truck there- definitely worker's! The motor is great for low end torque, the frame is strong, and the axles are also strong/reliable.

Problem area's on those trucks are mostly the transmissions if not cared for properly. Stop every time you shift. In the morning- put it into Neutral with you Ebrake on and let it warm up this way- this will cycle tranny fluid while the truck warms up. Every oil change or two, tighten the bands on the tranny (do a google search). Change your fluid every season. Put a tranny cooler - the biggest you can find.

The front ends on Dodges can eat ball joints- but any plow truck will. There is plenty of aftermarket for this that are 100x better than stock. Same with the other front end components.

You really don't need to "do" anything at this point - just normal maintenance and preventative maintenance will make it last forever.

I've owned 2 of that generation Ram's and never had a tranny go bad on me. They were great trucks and actually my favorite style Ram.

4. cold_and_tired

cold_and_tired PlowSite.com Addict

I'll second Plowguy43. I have quite a few friends that have dodge plow trucks. The engines last forever but they always seem to be having transmission issues.

You should get yourself a good set of aftermarket transmission, EGT and boost gauges. I consider them part of preventative maintenance.

As long as you are coming to a complete stop before you are shifting, the trans will last a lot longer. Get a good transmission temp gauge and you may be able to prevent any catastrophic failures.

5. Gbfireman99

Gbfireman99 Junior Member

Great info thanks. I did some reasearch and this truck has a huge aux. Trans cooler, so there shouldn't be issues there. Also it says get a temp gauge for tranny....Dealership says the "trans temp" light will come on when to hot, how reliable that is is unknown. But the Vin check i did on truck through dealership says, heavy duty Cooling system, i've never hit 200 on the gauge ever in 100 degree heat at idle for 15 mins. So its good with staying cool. however i did notice the 4x4 light on the dash isn't comming on when i shift it, but the 4x4 is deffinitly engaged. so not sure about that one. Also every dealership i've ever talked to says no way on the tranny flush, if your fluid isn't burnt up then don't do it because the particles and whatever else is in there help the clutch plates to help shift...maybe true idk. Anyone i've talked to says truck only lasted few thousand miles after a tranny flush, so no good. Anyways thanks for the info, make life easier. Got the billing taken care of, rates and estimates all set, should be good to go. one more thing whats the recomendation for aftermarket ball joints? cost? where to get etc. ok i'm done! thanks

6. peterng

peterng Senior Member

I worked for an engineering company in NH who had 13 of these trucks. I believe they were 2001's. Most had varying degrees of wander in the steering box. Some were fine, most of them weren't to bad, tolerable but noticeable. 2 of them you couldn't drive on the highway. Dodge had no recalls but had issued 9 updates about the issue.

Have you guys experienced any hint of that in any of the 2500's of that era?

7. ajslands

ajslands 2000 Club Member

Wash it and wax (plow, salter, truck, snowblower, shovel,) it after every storm!

8. plowguy43

plowguy43 PlowSite Fanatic

The tranny flush thing is true to an extent. At higher mileage if you've NEVER done a fluid change or flush then the crap from the tranny helps the clutches hold and keep it going. If you were to flush it in this situation, more then likely it will begin to slip. Most tranny shops will tell you if it has NEVER been done before 70k miles, then don't do it at all.

As for the factory Tranny Temp- Don't trust it. Get an aftermarket guage that connects directly to the tranny and monitor it yourself. When you see the dummy light on the dashboard its already too late and the tranny has overheated causing a sh*t ton of damage.

Get a guage, if you see it rising pull over, drop the plow and let it cool off - or drop the plow and drive slow. Crazy to think, but my truck runs cooler in 100* weather with the A/C blasting than it does in 20* weather with the plow on and heat blasting ( hint - the plow blocks all the air to the radiator plus pushing snow really works a truck hard).

9. MIDTOWNPC

MIDTOWNPC PlowSite Veteran

I will add that one thing I have always done with my dodges is while grabbing a coffee or out shoveling something leave the truck in neutral with the parking brake on and this way the tranny fluid will continue to cycle and cool down. It also allows the turbo to cool down in the diesels.

the only other thing would be to make sure inside fenders and doors are coated with fluid film to prevent the rust. seems the fenders and door edges all have cancer.

10. USMCMP5811

USMCMP5811 Senior Member

I think everyone has covered most of your questions. As far as the 4x4 light in the dash, check the actuator on the front axle, There is a pug on the top of it with 2 wires coming out of it, this is what sends the signal to your dash that the 4X4 is engaged. They are known for breaking off. Check that plug.

Someone mentioned the wandering problem with the 2nd generation Dodges, the fix would be a PSC steering brace or simmilar.

http://www.fourwheeler.com/techarti...e_2500_and_3500_steering_box_brace/index.html

11. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

midtown is right on the mark....if the truck is ideling for more then 10 mins....put it in nuetral.

12. msu1510

msu1510 Senior Member
    from MI

the only dodge i owned was a 97 with the 5.9 v8. so not sure what changes were made btwn 97 and yours. but we made it to 200k before we lost the tranny. i was told that there are/were filters on the tranny fluid lines so if you ever have to replace your tranny find out if your truck has them and make sure they are not plugged. the only repair that was unexpected with that truck was the rear end blew out of it around 125k. other than that it was a solid truck. dont get me wrong we did a lot of work to it over the years but only after it was high in miles and worked hard. good luck with it.

13. carkey351

carkey351 Senior Member

My last boss had a 2006 Ram 2500 diesel that all kinds of issues. he had a 7.5ft poly meyer plow on it, but never drove with it on, maybe plowed 3 small driveways. the truck had 45xxx on it when he traded it off. He got it new and had it into the dealer 12 times, all but one time was for the steering issues. they ended up replacing all of the steering components and never got the wandering/over/under steer fixed. he got a 3/4 ton suburban and couldn't be happier.