1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

New truck and new to plowing

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by darndt, Sep 4, 2011.

1. darndt

darndt Junior Member
    from Boston

I bought a 02 GMC 2500 HD. I've been looking for a used plow and have seen many ads for "blade only". If i buy any fisher minute mount plow will it work as long as i buy new push plates and wires for my truck ? or is every plow truck specific ? thank you for any help explaining this

2. MikeRi24

MikeRi24 Senior Member

a lot of the really older plows had it where the plow frame, pump, and lights (everything but the actual blade) stayed on the truck and JUST the blade came off. I'll give you an example. If you're looking at something like this
    [​IMG]
    then its going to be missing all of this
    [​IMG]
    which stays on the truck

What you should be looking for is something like this where the whole assembly disconnects from the truck in one piece
    [​IMG]
    then you can just get the mount and wiring specific for your vehicle. You also cant cross manufactures of plows, like you can't use a Boss mount and wiring with a Western plow. Honestly, you're best bet is going to be to find someone selling a complete setup for a 01-07 Chevy or GMC 2500 with the plow, mount and wiring. The main wring harness is all the same to a specific plow, but the headlight harness is different for each plow and truck. Same with the mounts. You could buy the whole thing from another truck and then just buy the right mount and headlight harness for your truck, but those 2 things together are going to run you about $800 on top of whatever you bought the plow for. And some of the older plows won't even fit on newer trucks because they are so out dated they dont make the mounts for newer trucks.

Last edited: Sep 4, 2011
  3. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Your truck is not that old,buy new for it. Sometimes it costs more finding all the pieces.

4. Spucel

Spucel Senior Member

I would have to agree with ya. I see the attraction to trying to save a few bucks by going used and piecing together but I have never been a huge fan of it. If you arent 100% sure on the history of the plow, the maintenance and how the guy treated it...you might get a surprise you dont want in the middle of February. If you have the extra cash, I would go new and you know everything about it. Just my 2 cents. Good luck and happy plowing! Whatever you decide to do....post some pictures for us to see the final product:drinkup::drinkup:

5. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

That's real good advice, especially this time of year. Check out the other brands, they have some features that are mulch superior to Fisher.

6. Stik208

Stik208 PlowSite.com Addict

This made me LOL.

7. darndt

darndt Junior Member
    from Boston

I would love to get a new plow but the wife shot that down real quick. so now im forced to look at used. I've been looking at setups where everything disconnects from the truck. So far my understanding is that i buy any setup like that it will work and i can buy push plates from the manufactorer. For instance my neighbor has a minute mount 2 from an 07 F-250, for $1000. Hhe lost the truck in an accident and all he has left is the plow , no push plates and no wires. Could i buy that and make it work ?

8. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic