1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

New Truck Advice?

Discussion in 'Ram Trucks' started by Dan85, Sep 5, 2014.

1. Dan85

Dan85 Senior Member

I was hoping some of you guys could offer some advice on a new work truck. I work for a commercial landscape/snow maintenance contractor. I reluctantly accepted a promotion last spring to oversee all our lawn and snow maintenance. The position comes with a take home truck, however my previous company truck was returned on lease, so I'm being told to look for a new one. The powers that be decided to go with a Dodge and they want a diesel engine. Beyond that, the rest is at my discretion. I'm leaning towards a regular cab - had the crew and loved it for tool storage, but I don't want to plow with a crew cab. I plow in the city, so I prefer the regular cab.

Truck is intended to be a supervisors truck, but I know I'll be using it to work - I'm my own best crew. haha. I'm sure that I'll be towing trailers every now and again (14k GVWR deck over pintle). During the winter, it will be a plow truck 100% of the time. We run all Boss V plows. Truck will carry a 50-100 gal transfer tank. I'm also toying with the idea of putting a dump insert in the bed.

2500 vs. 3500?
    Any thoughts? Is there that much of an advantage to running a 3500 over the 2500?

Plow Prep?
    One 3500 I'm looking at locally doesn't mention that it has the prep package. What am I missing without it?

Dump Insert?
    Anyone running one? Should I consider adding helper springs or air bags from the start?

Gears?
    What ratios are you guys running?

Anything else?
    I'm sure that I'm missing some important stuff, so please let me know

Availability?
    Are regular cab diesels hard to find? I don't care about the trim level. When I was looking earlier in the year, the salesman kept trying to push me into a crew cab short bed. We have one truck like that and there's no bed space after your transfer tank and tool box go in - seems almost pointless.

Thanks in advance

2. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

Dodge doesn't make an extended cab anymore?

3. NBI Lawn

NBI Lawn PlowSite.com Addict

Since you're large commercial I would go with a 3500. I only say this because you will be hauling heavy loads and DOT will be on the look out for you. You could sneak under the radar a little easier if you weren't 100% commercial with it.
    I think you only get one option for gears in a 1ton diesel???
    I wouldn't get a bare bones truck though. Power windows, locks, good radio for plowing for hours and rubber floors. You will also get a more comfortible seat. Plus resale.
    I would do a reg cab if it was strictly a work truck. They were probably pushing the ccsb on you because that's what they stock. Reg cabs are hard to come by...around here anyways.

4. jhenderson9196

jhenderson9196 Senior Member

If I were you, and I'm not you know, this would be my truck. Reg cab, 3500, Cummins, Aisen trans, windows, locks cruise, tilt, rubber floor.Manual transfer case if available. Only gears available on single wheel are 3.42, they will be fine. Locking diff, NO SLIDING WINDOW. If you get heated tow mirrors and plain rear window it gets heated also.Big + when plowing. Get rid of the pintle on the trailer and bolt on a 2-5/8 ball. You won't believe how much better it tows. Check out the service depts at multiple dealers before you buy. Pick one with a Cummins trained tech. Good luck.

5. Jguck25

Jguck25 Senior Member

Since this is a take home truck is it going to be your main vehicle? Do you have kids?
    If the answer is no to those then I would go regular cab, but it sure is nice to have the extended cab short bed with kids and having to plow

6. Dan85

Dan85 Senior Member

Thanks for the feedback guys, I appreciate it.

I refer to anything with 4 doors as a crew. Looks like it's either 4 doors or 2 now, no "3rd" door option. The other take home trucks in the company are the CC/SB and CC/LB. No kids, this is strictly a company work truck. The last guy in my position bought a cowboy Cadillac with all the bells and whistles. I just want something to get me from A to B. Regular cabs deftinely are hard to come by. Even more so since I'm limited to white.

Actually found a reg cab, cummins, auto, trademaster, pw windows/locks/mirrors, popular equipment, cold weather package, plow prep package for $49k. There are about $4k in incentives. Price seems high, to me. I know the diesel option is pricey but I had a similiar equipped 6.4 gas quoted with plow for 38k out the door. Not sure where the pricing should be.

Test drove it, was nice. Ride wasn't too bad. Check engine light is on already, lol.

Last edited: Sep 6, 2014
  7. John_DeereGreen

John_DeereGreen PlowSite.com Addict

I was quoted $34500 for a 2014 regular cab 3500 4x4, Asian/Cummins. SLT truck, chrome everything, power locks/windows cruise, etc. about 2 months ago.

50K for a base model work truck is nuts.

8. Dan85

Dan85 Senior Member

Wow, 34K for a cummins SLT 3500?

Maybe I should hire you to negotiate for me

9. Jguck25

Jguck25 Senior Member

Dodge doesn't have the equivalent of ford super cab option?

10. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

I know you said plowing and the bigger trk and all, but you'd be in the trk longer then just snow season. Think comfort.

11. NBI Lawn

NBI Lawn PlowSite.com Addict

I'll take one! Where do I pick it up?

Edit) Serious

Last edited: Sep 6, 2014
  12. John_DeereGreen

John_DeereGreen PlowSite.com Addict

That quote was from Bill Harris Dealerships in Ashland, OH.

13. Whiffyspark

Whiffyspark 2000 Club Member
    from SOMD

No and nether does Chevy. They are small doors that open normal

14. Dan85

Dan85 Senior Member

Here's an update in case anyone is curious...

Found another 2500 diesel srw regular cab around the 40 mark and the company dropped a deposit (or so I'm told). Wanted to hold out for a 3500 but I need a truck sooner than later. Shopped for plows today, we have about a dozen Boss 9.2's in the fleet. Dealer says I can get a 8.2 max on my truck in that configuration; going with either a VXT or DXT. Dealer needs the front axle weight rating in order to see if we can put the DXT on the truck. Already getting grief over the fact my truck can't handle a 9.2..lol

We also have a Western v-plow that is relatively new and gets very little use, I'm also tossing around the idea of buying the mount and just putting that on this truck to save a little money.

15. Jguck25

Jguck25 Senior Member

Wow a new truck that can't handle a boss 9'2? Boss is the lightest of the v plows too..

16. Dan85

Dan85 Senior Member

I did some digging and contacted the dealer, truck has the 6,000lbs FGAWR, so I can hang a 9'2" off the truck.

Any thoughts VXT vs. DXT?

- Dan

Last edited: Oct 4, 2014
  17. jhenderson9196

I don't know the price difference, but the DXT will be easier on the truck, tripping when in V mode.

18. Dan85

Dan85 Senior Member

After some back and forth, we decided to pull the trigger on a 9.2 DXT. The company is curious to see how this does compared to our other v-plows. Price difference between the VXT and DXT wasn't bad, less than a few hundred bucks.

19. gasjr4wd

gasjr4wd Senior Member

Last I looked, Ram had the standard 4 door or crew cab, then the Mega Cab 4 door with a little extra space behind back seats and little larger back doors.
    But yea, I use my 4 door to plow with and... sometimes it's just too ____ big.
    You will like the cummins and the reg cab. Remember places make OEM replacement fuel tanks in the 60 gal range IIRC. Front end will handle just about any plow you stick on it. The factory ratings are under rated. The reason why many plow companies don't rate the cummins for a larger plow is the engine weighs soo much. Not sure about the new trucks but the only difference in the third gen Dodge 2500 & 3500 SRW is a overload spring in the rear. Can't say for new ones. Hope they did change it. Timbrens are not a bad idea.
    Let us know how it turns out!

20. jhenderson9196

2500-3500 difference is you can get the AisIn trans in the 3500. You get to choose gears with a drw.