1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

New Truck Advice.

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by KSB, Jan 6, 2013.

1. KSB

KSB Member

Currently running a Ford F-350, 5.4 triton pickup. Had lots of problems with it. Thinking of switching to a 2012 Ram with 5.7 Hemi. Any thoughts on this or stay with Ford.
  2. ducaticorse

ducaticorse PlowSite.com Addict
    from we

I have an 04f350 and just shorted out my dash, but I believe it was due to a faulty repair on my plow motor. What problems have you had with yours? Im not a fan of Dodge. I do like my Jeeps though.Had two older rams 96/98 and they were both **** boxes.
  3. peteo1

peteo1 PlowSite.com Addict

Those second generation rams weren't very good trucks imo. They ran well but between the rust and the trans issues, yeah I agree with you. I've got an 04 and my brother has an 08. We have had pretty good luck with them other than front end parts but any plow truck will eat ball joints, etc. I've always been a Chevy guy but after this truck I'll gladly buy another ram. Just my .02
  4. beanz27

beanz27 Senior Member

My neighbor did a ton of research before he bought a brand new truck in 2011. He is a ford guy and naturally wanted a Ford, but that 6.2 gas wasn't proven yet. He ended up buying a 2500 Crew cab dodge with the 5.7 Hemi. No complaints at all. apparently it pulls almost as good as his diesel dually, and gets great mileage too.
  5. jhall22guitar

jhall22guitar PlowSite.com Addict

My dad's plow truck was a 2002 Ram 1500, and this was in 2008-9, and it was rusting really quick and bad. Got rid of that truck quick.
  6. oneoldsap

oneoldsap Senior Member

Dodge is going to have to proove to me that they can build a durable transmission , before I'd ever consider buying one ! I've been a Chevy guy since 1978 and will probably remain one .
  7. beanz27

beanz27 Senior Member

I was actually talking to a dealership that stocks Ford, and Dodge trucks. The salesman was trying to convince me that dodge has now got a good transmission. The 3rd generation honestly isn't THAT bad for transmissions, the new ones I haven't heard anything about. We've got a friend that abuses his dodge cummins pretty bad, pulling heavy as hell loads etc, it's got 240k miles on it and still the original transmission. And he beats the crap out of it. That truck has surprised me.
  8. Plow Nuts

Plow Nuts Senior Member

I am still not a fan of the new Ford or Dodge Trucks. Dodge has stepped up their powertrain warranty on the gas motors to 5yr/100k like gm, but their trucks tend to fall apart interior wise and their ac systems do not last as long as Ford or GM. I hate the Ford Mod motors with the overhead cams and timing chains that stretch and guides that come apart--cam Phasers blah blah blah. I gotta say my personal opinion is a gm truck if you are looking new--by far the easiest to deal with---especially for after warranty assistance
  9. Flawless440

Flawless440 PlowSite.com Addict

Go diesel, chevy, ford no 6.0, dodge,,, what ever you can get a deal on as long as its diesel.. Its the biggest difference. I had the 5.4 hated it, lots of problems.. My next truck will be a cummins
  10. ducaticorse

from we

I had a hemi in my jeep grand cherokee. They get about 8 miles to the gallon. If you call that good, what do you consider bad?
  11. slplow

slplow PlowSite.com Veteran

My 07 ram 3500 dump hemi has been a great truck .I would buy anther in a heart beat.
    I love how you ford guy's rag on the tranny's on dodges when it was a short time ago that on this sight that all I read was how the tranny's were blowing up. And as far as gm's go the under side of my 05 gmc is like looking under my friends 97 ford and I wash it all the time. (it's real crusty) My dodge still looks almost new under it.
  12. White Gardens

White Gardens 2000 Club Member

Let's clarify here..........

The new Ram trucks are not made by Dodge now.

The Ram is it's own company. Dodge only makes the Dakota now.

13. ducaticorse

from we

Different years different problems etc. There is **** to talk about all makes and models.
  14. jasonv

jasonv PlowSite.com Addict
    from kannada

What are you talking about, man?
    Its all still just Fiat. Whether they put a "dodge" sticker on it or not, changes nothing.

No dude, that's not a GM, its a Chevy :p
    Last edited: Jan 7, 2013
  15. FordFisherman

FordFisherman PlowSite.com Addict
    from 06611

:popcorn::popcorn::popcorn: ha ha here we go
  16. beanz27

beanz27 Senior Member

He gets 18 mpg with a 3/4 ton dodge Hemi 5.7 I believe it is. He did the math, didn't use the trucks average. He gets really good mileage. Course he drives like my grandpa does, but still. Its all in how you drive a truck for mileage. I get better mileage with my trucks then the previous owners did because I baby it driving with fuel effeciency in mind. UNLESS i actually need to be somewhere, then forget mileage lol.
  17. lawnboy2121

lawnboy2121 Senior Member

they r all good until they break
  18. Flawless440

Flawless440 PlowSite.com Addict

So is a GMC the same as a Chevy???
  19. jasonv

jasonv PlowSite.com Addict
    from kannada

Nah, of course not. Totally different :jester:
  20. ducaticorse

from we

There is no way a hemi averages 18mpg. Maybe when it's running at it's most efficient, as in once in a blue moon, but other than that nope. The only chance of a hemi ever getting 18mph is at a cruising speed of around 50 miles an hour on a highway when half the motor is shut down. If you're plowing or hauling or driving it like it is meant to be driven, you are NOT averaging 18mph.