1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

New trany cooler idea

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by earnies2, Oct 17, 2008.

1. earnies2

earnies2 Senior Member

A friend of mine gave me a cooler or heat exchanger that came out of a moter coach it is about 18" long and about the same diamater of the oil cooler on my 7.3 with 2 inlets for watter and 2 for oil i was thinking about using it for my trany and bypassing the cooler in the radiatior...I could plumb it to the lower radiatater hose and the water pump and hang the unit below the radiator on the suport any thoughts or info would be great I was told thay use these units as heat exchangers on boats and thay cost upwards of $500 it appears to have 1 1/2 water outlets and 3/4 oil outlets....ussmileyflag

2. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

As long as it's clean (internally) and won't cause an excessive flow restriction until you get it plumbed in I see no reason why you can use it as it'll work basically the same way as the stock in rad cooler, just have a larger cooling path.

3. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

make sure there isn't so much "cooling " capacity that your transmission never gets up to temperature

4. earnies2

earnies2 Senior Member

Is'nt the whole idea to keep the trany cool....i received info that the temp in the lower hose is 20 degrees above ambiant temp so if it is 80 outside that would equate to 100 in the cooler..... now i havent thought about whean we are plowing at 30 degrees i gues the thermostat slowes the water down to compainsate for that.........any body know what temp is too cold for the trany ....or if that problem even exsists.........ussmileyflag

5. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

When running a water to oil heat exchanger it's almost impossible for the trans to run "too cool" since the exchanger can actually heat the trans fluid also..which is why there so widely used still after all these years. The water temp will help to bring the trans fluid temp UP in cold temps as well as keep the running temp stabilized better once it gets there.

Not sure where you heard of the "ambient temp" info buts it's completely false to say the least. What temp the "cold" side of the rad runs at is mostly depended on the cooling efficiency of the rad itself and at what temp the engine normally runs at, and also what specifics were originally designed into the cooling system. But as an approximation, the cold side of the rad (in which the stock cooler would be) will be around 140*-170* at operating temp. Which is the preferred temp range for max trans life, and function as well. But will also ensure that the trans does receive some heat into it in order to help "cook" any moisture out of the fluid and trans during cold weather conditions. So basically an oil to water exchanger is a win win situation as it works both ways...