1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

New trailer starting to come together

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by chris9724, Jan 19, 2015.

1. chris9724

chris9724 Member
    from calgary

Hey guys here are the latest pics of the new sanding trailer. Hope to have it on the road in a week or so.

Thanks Chris

photo 2-1.jpg

photo 1-2.jpg

photo 5-1.jpg

photo 3-1.jpg

photo 3-2.jpg

2. CARDOCTOR

CARDOCTOR PlowSite.com Addict

i would be concerned with speed bumps or crap in the road ripping the motor off

3. to_buy

to_buy Senior Member

I had the same thoughts, otherwise looks great

4. leolkfrm

leolkfrm PlowSite.com Addict

interesting, i would want to make sure none of the salt will be hitting the trailer or tires, hyd drive or electric?

5. chris9724

chris9724 Member
    from calgary

Hey guys

The sander is all electric. Just picked up some rubber sheets to protect the under side of the trailer. I think we are going to try and move the spinner motor to the top of the of the sander. I really don't like it hanging that low to the ground.

Thanks Chris

6. kimber750

kimber750 PlowSite Veteran

Looks like spreader pattern is going to be blocked by tires and what appears to be a cross member that has had a section cut out of it. :eek:

7. jomama45

jomama45 PlowSite.com Addict

I think what you're seeing is the ramps in storage under the trailer. The cross members sit higher..........

8. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

The ramps sit up higher, look at the doors in cut in the tail of the trailer. The black is a cross member cut out that might be boxed up around out of our view in the photo.

Looks like an interesting idea. I'd have chose a tandem dual axle trailer over a triple axle though if you plan to do a lot of turning, especially with that short of a trailer.

9. Ne1

Ne1 Senior Member

Looks nice. I don't know how easy its going to be to back up and maneuver around though. Seems to me unless your doing wide open large parking lots or city streets it could be difficult.

10. Glenn Lawn Care

Glenn Lawn Care Senior Member

That is a good idea, but I can see the bottom getting ripped off.

11. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

We pulled a 4 yard bumber hitch salter around for a few years and it worked pretty well until it got over half unloaded and all the weight went to back of trailer. That looks like a really nice trailer but I think you would have been better to start from scratch. The spinner on the rear should be totally exposed to spread properly. Add to that the rear axle is just going to get blasted with salt along with the trailer. 2 7 or 8k axles would have allowed much better spreader placement and weight transfer. Sorry for all the negativity and I hope I'm wrong and it works great.

12. chris9724

chris9724 Member
    from calgary

Hey guys

Yes that is a cross member that is cut. It is boxed and plated above the view of the camera. I have the trailer dealer do that part as not to void the trailers warranty. It is probably stronger now, he put a ton of steel up there.

All we do are huge trucking yards so no backing up. Maybe to odd ramp but they are like 40ft wide.

The motor is the biggest job left to do. But we have a solid plan how and where to move it.

The spread pattern is great form our test run we did. the spinner is set back far enough so the trailer dose not inter fear with it.

Thanks Chris

13. kimber750

kimber750 PlowSite Veteran

In the pic it looks like spinner is in the center of that support that was cut. Just think that would restrict any salt from going to the side. Of course that may be your plan. By the way that is a nice trailer. Thumbs Up

14. MatthewG

MatthewG PlowSite.com Addict

Fancy

Post more pics when your done

15. chris9724

chris9724 Member
    from calgary

Full test run.

Frist full test run. 7.5 yards of gravel on the trailer and it towed great. It spreads a little heavier in the middle and shoots about 20ft to both sides. 40-50ft total spread width.

photo 3-3.jpg

photo 4-2.jpg

16. xgiovannix12

xgiovannix12 PlowSite.com Addict

your going to loose your load if you keep running it upside down

17. derekslawncare

derekslawncare PlowSite.com Addict

No he won't, he just needs to put a tarp over it. LOL

18. chris9724

chris9724 Member
    from calgary

Try again.

photo 1-3.jpg

photo 4-2.jpg

19. THEGOLDPRO

THEGOLDPRO PlowSite Veteran

Interesting idea, wound loveeeee to see a video of the spread pattern.

20. abbe

abbe Senior Member
    from RI

How does that not just pelt the sides of the rear tires?