1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

New tractor

Discussion in 'Equipment, Tools & Vehicle Pictures' started by Peterbilt, Nov 20, 2009.

1. Peterbilt

Peterbilt Senior Member
    from IA.

I got a new tractor.

Deere 5083E. I ordered it in august, we picked it up on wednesday.

I am planning on pushing a 10ft Arctic with it.

Last edited: Dec 14, 2010
  2. fireboy6413

fireboy6413 Senior Member

congrads on the new purchase. good luck with it, gets some pics when it snows
  3. SuperdutyShane

SuperdutyShane PlowSite.com Addict

Hey that looks good! Hopefully the pusher is ready when the snow comes, and then you have a good season!
  4. merrimacmill

merrimacmill PlowSite.com Addict
    from MA

very nice machine. Do you use the tractors in the summer as well or are they just for snow? They are always much more cost effective upon purchase it seems than the wheel loaders are..
  5. Knockah22

Knockah22 Senior Member

Great looking machine. Nice to see more green in your fleet. Looks like a decent size tractor, 10ft box is going to go great with that thing. Do you drive from job to job or stage them at one location? Hope to see some action pics! Good luck this season.
  6. augerandblade

augerandblade PlowSite.com Addict

Hey whats that picture of a Volvo up on the stairs there!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  7. Peterbilt

Peterbilt Senior Member
    from IA.

The Volvo on the stairs. I have a Volvo ECR58 Excavator, and I rent 2 Volvo wheel loaders for the winter. They should be here next week.

Apart from the 2 smaller ASVs, (They will be plowing at a hospital this winter) I road everything from site to site. The Volvo L20s I rent only do something like 12mph so getting from site to site takes awhile sometimes. My PT80 will go 15mph, and it runs a big-spread out route all by its self with out being trailered anyplace.

I went with this Deere tractor and a Deere 244J (Renting the 244) because they have way higher road speeds. In the 20+mph range. So we should be able to cover way more ground this year.

I also went with a tractor for its usefulness to me. It would be nice to have a compact loader, but if I will only use it during the winter, then its a 8 month waste of $80000.00. this tractor was half of that price. I will be able to push snow, pull a bat wing mower, use it at the shop, load trucks, use it in my seeding operations, and so on. A wheel loader can load things Thats it.

8. TremblaySNOW

TremblaySNOW Senior Member

Very nice tractor, I have a 4000 & 3000 series tractor too.
  9. Premier

Premier Senior Member

looks awesome have fun this winter
  10. Knockah22

Knockah22 Senior Member

Those Asvs go 15mph? wow, thats a fast skid loader. What are your first impressions on your 244j? Ive always wanted to run Volvo machines, never have though. Nice to see your keeping busy this winter.
  11. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Is that JD snooping in the corner?
  12. NBI Lawn

NBI Lawn PlowSite.com Addict

Very nice :nod:. I know little...OK nothing about tractors, whats the deal on the rear wheels? Is that for running duals or something? I noticed that both your tractors had it.
  13. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

Wheel weights. Who would buy JD tractors to plow snow with anyways.:rolleyes: They sure do look nice though.
  14. Peterbilt

Peterbilt Senior Member
    from IA.

244J. We don't like the self leveling yet, Z Bar linkage vs. IT (Volvo) style. IT is nicer for us. Its real fast, and thats why we go it. It ruts and sinks alot in softer soils, but it does load trucks well.

The things on the wheels are wheel weights. And Depending on how the 5000 does with the box, I might have to add a weight on the 3pt.

And who would buy a Deere tractor for snow plowing? Crazy...

15. mercer_me

mercer_me PlowSite Fanatic

Very nice tractor. How many horse is it?
  16. Peterbilt

Peterbilt Senior Member
    from IA.

I think its 80 or something close to that.

17. creativedesigns

creativedesigns PlowSite.com Addict

I always knew you were True Orange deep down inside! :D
  18. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

Very nice, good luck.
  19. snocrete

snocrete Banned

Congrats on the new toy, sure looks nice and comfy to plow snow in....how many hp is the other tractor in the pic, and what size pusher can it handle?
  20. Peterbilt

Peterbilt Senior Member
    from IA.

The other tractor is my 4520. Its a 50 horse, It will push a 10ft Arctic, but the 10ft is pretty heavy for it. So I ordered a new 8ft that should be here next week.