1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

New Tractor!

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by NickSnow&Mow, Oct 29, 2015.

1. NickSnow&Mow

NickSnow&Mow Senior Member

So for those of you who don't know I pulled the trigger on a brand new john deere 3046r and a pronovost pinv74. I appreciate all the advice and everything you guys have given me. The reason I went with the 3046r instead of a 4r is because ive worked out a deal with my dad for his summer time spraying use for the tractor and a 4 series is too heavy and wide where a 3 is just perfect. I should have the tractor early next week and the blower by mid december, I will have more pictures then. I ordered the tractor with air seat, radio, ag tires, engine and transmission heater, mirrors, beacon light, rear wiper, 7 pin trailer plug, and it came with one rear remote. The plan is to run the deflection of the snow blower chute to the rear remote and run the chute rotation to one of the mid remotes. I also ordered the tractor with 5 40lb suit case weights, is this enough for a 900lb blower? I decided to order the blower with out the back scraper since I can add it later if I want it, should I? Is there anything else I should add to the tractor later? Thanks, Nick

IMG_0413.jpg

Last edited: Oct 29, 2015
  2. Triple L

Triple L PlowSite Fanatic
    from Canada

Congratulations again Nick, for starters I'd swap out those 40lb weights for 5, 100 lb weights

3. 1olddogtwo

1olddogtwo PlowSite Fanatic

Congratulations!

4. NickSnow&Mow

Thanks, we thought of that but the reason we didn't was because they stick out quite a ways and you can't see them over the hood. I think we'll just add another 5 or 7 weights if it's a bit tippy or doesn't have traction it can handle up to 12 of the 40lb ones. We're also going to get the tires loaded.

5. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

Congratulations Nick. Happy to see you took your time pulling the trigger.
    Couldn't you put a marker on the 100lb weights as a reference point. I'm sure Chad knows you are going to need more weight.

6. NickSnow&Mow

Thanks. oh ya I'm sure he's right that it needs more weight on the front it's just a question of having 5 100lb weights or 12 4lb weights? 12 40 pounders weighs 480lbs and 5 100lb weights weigh 500lbs. Chad is there any reason you say to go with the bigger weights over the small ones other than the weight factor of course? Because it's the same weight basically and the small ones are easier to take on and off and will probably look better?

7. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

I'm no tractor guy but if the 12 40lb weights aren't enough is there room for more or will you have to switch some of them out for 100's? Then will you be stuck with the 40's or take the hit selling them on Kijiji to Dean? :D

8. John_DeereGreen

John_DeereGreen PlowSite.com Addict

Congrats! You won't know what to do with yourself having a cab!

I don't see any way those weights will be enough. I had a 150 gallon sprayer on the 3 point of a 3720 and it took about 600 pounds to make the front end feel secure.

There's not enough of a size difference from 40 to 100 to make it matter. If you're too close with one, you're too close with the other.

9. CAT 245ME

CAT 245ME PlowSite.com Addict

Congratulations on the Green tractor, I like green it's also the color of money payup

When will you have it home for the neighbors to stare at.

10. SHAWZER

SHAWZER PlowSite.com Addict

Way to go man ! Wont take you long to enjoy heat and comfort of a cab . Thumbs Up

11. NickSnow&Mow

Thanks. Now I know we'll have to add weight for sure. I guess we'll just have to see how it feels once the tires are loaded and add weight from there. I should have it sometime next week. The heat and radio are going to be amazing.

12. SDLandscapes VT

SDLandscapes VT Senior Member
    from Vermont

10 70# weights and don't load the tires---hang iron

congrats--the cab is a huge upgrade

also i d pony up the few bucks and get the second rear remote, just cleaner and simpler

13. John_DeereGreen

Are you talking about loading the back tires or front?

IMHO, I'd run 4 hoses from the mid valve to the back to run your chute. Left/right on the joystick is chute rotation, forward/backward is spout deflector. Seems more simple than having to press the button on the joystick to me. And one less thing to go wrong in the middle of the night. It works or it doesn't, no electronic valve to screw up.

14. SDLandscapes VT

SDLandscapes VT Senior Member
    from Vermont

@John_Deere Green

we have a blower running on the loader hydros of our 5410 and John Deere on the loaders has this slight back pressuring of loader hydraulics so that the buckets cycle more smoothly even when loaded. it works great with the blower at idle but at RPMs the hydros bind--badly. I discourage running blower chute controls on loader controls--I thought the single stick would be great too, but.......

I don't think the 3046r uses the switches but rather the levers......I know that was the new style in the 4066r upgraded from the 4720.....

Also on the tires--the ag tire guys at Pete's Tires STRONGLY discourage ballasting tires. unless you need more weight than you can pick up with iron weights. I have the rears filled on my 4066r and the fronts filled on the 5410 and when it comes time to do it over again those will be just air and i ll add a weight rack to the front of the 5410. I have 700# on the front of the 4r

15. newhere

newhere PlowSite.com Addict
    from Fenton

Ag tires are worthless in snow. Should have got turf tread.
    Need more weight then that.
    Should get the back blade. Sucks big time without it.

16. Superior L & L

Superior L & L PlowSite Veteran
    from MI

Can I ask how much each cost ya

17. NickSnow&Mow

ag tires are great in snow from my experience last year. Why do you say it sucks without the back blade? Neige was telling me they don't like the back blades. Reason for not getting another remote is because o would have to add two more and it would cost $3000! I asked my rep to swap out the 40lbs for the 72lbs if its still possible, 100s aren't officially available. Hey Aaron do you find the back tires spin at all with the blower down? That's my main reason for loading the tires because there's no wait on the rear with the blower down.

18. John_DeereGreen

Didn't know that about the backpressuring. All I've ever done is Deere attachments with the loader stick so they must somehow take that into account.

All the 3R series tractors I've seen/sold have/had a button on the joystick that would be either your third function for the loader, or the rear remote control. I believe that changed in 2011 when they were still the 3X20 series. The only lever operated SCV's on the new R's are on open station tractors to my knowledge.

I agree on loading tires when it comes to front ones. It's pointless, they don't hold enough fluid to make it worthwhile. Rear tires on anything smaller than a row crop ag tractor I wouldn't have unless they were loaded.

Sorry for hijacking your thread Nick!

19. NickSnow&Mow

true, I guess I could do that too just seemed easier to run one house under instead of two.

20. NickSnow&Mow

Not a problem. Hey Aaron What do you mean by binding at rpms?