1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

New Toy

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by SGLC, Jan 6, 2006.

1. SGLC

SGLC Senior Member

Well, I bit the bullet and bought a Speedcaster 2 Tailgate spreader. Got tired of not making money by having to pay someone else to salt my parking lots. Should have it in by next week since they had to order the hitch mount for my truck.

Pics coming soon as I get it.

I must say, reading on this site made me choose one lol.

2. FIREMAN Q

FIREMAN Q Senior Member

I picked one up this year and I love it. The few things that I have found through trial and error is always check/tighten the belts, and it is better to do it when its not fully loaded in the middle of a snow storm. It can be a pain to load it if you use a lot of it. I keep some totes in the back and use 5 gallon buckets to load it from the bed. It takes 26 5 gallon buckets of magic to fill the hopper.

I have the tailgate spreader. I'm not sure if you are getting the tailgate or the in bed. I took some rubber roofing material and wrapped the truck mount with it to prevent the salt from getting all over the truck. It works good. i will try to get you some pics if you need them.

Enjoy it.

3. SGLC

SGLC Senior Member

I got off the phone earlier today with my sales guy, turns out I'll save myself $300 if I go with the Western, only because they were out of stock on Fishers so they're passing the shipping savings along. Same units I know but orginally I was going to keep Yellow with Yellow.

I'm going with the Hitch Mount unit so it keeps it all outside. I wasn't too keen on bolting the mounts into the bed. 26 5 gallon pails is pretty good. In my limited manual salting I've done of the properties that need salt, I would only say I use half as many pails so the hopper will be plenty for me. I stock pile a couple yards in one of my garages that I use for spot salting right now so I'll just pre-load before I head out.

4. fernalddude

fernalddude PlowSite.com Addict

welcome

congrats on your jump you will see its where the money is at.....:salute:

5. crazymike

crazymike Senior Member
    from Toronto

Noticed you are in whitby, did you use Walker Equipment? They upgraded me to a 8'6" plow for free because they had trouble ordering the 8'. They don't seem very good at ordering products but good at making good on their mistakes.

I'm in Whitby aswell. If only this snow would triple and we could get back out :/

6. SGLC

SGLC Senior Member

Hey, yes I'm in Whitby...you may of seen my truck before....Silverbirch Crew Cab Dually. I have my SGLC markings on the doors.

I did use Walker...I used 4WD in the past for summer equiptment but they did not seem very helpfull when it came time for my plow. Walker fit me in ahead of schedule and got the truck done early for me. Great to deal with so far. My salesman is Rob.

As far as the snow.....most of my accounts are Monthly's so the less snow the better lol.....Just wish I had the salter on to make more money then paying my other guy to do it. We sub for Mountain Ash Landscaping and they are handling our salting right now.

7. crazymike

crazymike Senior Member
    from Toronto

I have a black Ram QC with an 8"6' western. No markings. I'm in Brooklin though. Farthest I make it into Whitby is the Mcdonalds

8. SGLC

SGLC Senior Member

Hmm.....Summer time I'm in Brooklyn for some res accounts. Other then that I have a cousin in Brooklyn lol.

I only make it into Whitby for plowing to do Sheriden Nurseries and the Whitby Baptist Church. A couple others depending on the snowfall but those are the two I do in Whitby. I'm mainly in Ajax and Pickering for my accounts.