1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

New toy; Wahoo!

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by thartz, Sep 9, 2003.

1. thartz

thartz Junior Member

Got tired of looking for an older 4x4 so I went in to my local dealer and bought a 2000 f250 superduty with a towing package,v10,supercab and all the goodies.It only had 38000 miles so I thought okay;only problem is it's black.I'll be washing and waxing as much as I'll be plowing.Thanks for the other info from you folks;If you can give me any tips on this truck I would greatly appreciate it.LET IT SNOW !!!!!!!!

2. wyldman

wyldman Member

Give the truck a good once over and make sure everything is lubed up.

I'd also pull the plugs,and anti-sieze them,as they can sieze in the heads.

Congrats on the new truck,and hope it works out well for you.Got any pics yet ?

3. CARDOCTOR

CARDOCTOR PlowSite.com Addict

black is alot easier to take care of now that they clearcoat over the color
    im on my 4th blk truck

i wax it every 3 months and it still looks good

cardoctor:dizzy:

4. meyer22288

meyer22288 Senior Member

Good luck with your new truck!:waving:

5. sos

sos Member
    from NE Ohio

Congrats on the new truck!:) I've had 3 or 4 black vehicles and finally broke out of it and bought a dark blue. Not saying it will be 100% easier to keep clean but atleast I'm not washing it every week which is pretty good for living on a dirt road :( .

6. SIPLOWGUY

SIPLOWGUY Senior Member

:D GOOD LUCK! I LOVE TO SEE GUYS WITH FORDS! :cool:

7. thartz

thartz Junior Member

No pics just yet.I will try to post some soon.Have to find a plow package I like first.(if it was up to my teenage daughter color would be the first priority).

8. wyldman

wyldman Member

......and she likes red right ??? :D

9. thartz

thartz Junior Member

That's what she is leaning towards.Hope she is paying for it.

10. Mike 97 SS

Mike 97 SS Banned
    from U.S.A.

Good luck with the new truck. :drinkup: What plows are you looking into getting? Red is nice, especially red Western plows. :) Mike :waving:

11. BASIC

BASIC Member

thartz,good luck with your new truck.For good ford truck information,take a look at TheDieselStop.com,good luck,BASIC.

12. beherit316

beherit316 Banned

Black trucks suck,I had a Black ranger and keeping it looking good was a pain in the ass.All I can tell you is I wax my vehicles once a month and bring them to a detailer when it is needed.On a good note Black tends to come out looking real nice after being buffed.
    So tell me something, how do you like that V-10?That truck has some serious power, I test drove one and man can that thing move.I would love to see some pictures of it when you get a chance.
    Well good luck and happy plowing with it.

13. snowplowjay

snowplowjay Banned

the darker the color the more visible that dust and pollen are on the paint. White is the easiest of all paint colors to keep clean.

Be careful. Not waxing regularly is a bad thing as you all know...........BUT waxing too frequently can also be a bad thing. I do some detailing as a hobby on the side and I usually recomend 2 to 3 good waxes a year to my customers. I use a quality paste wax and work it in good.

Jay

14. beherit316

beherit316 Banned

I use Mothers cleaner wax, seems to do a good job.What do you use?
    I once tried that wax you put on when the car is wet, its called durashine, they had a huge hype infomercial about it saying it is such a good wax it could stop a laser from burning through your paint.Totally stupid commercial.Anyway I wanted to try it, didn't think it did anything after I applied it.Apparently the durashine wax said once it was applied you never had to dry your vehicle after washing it because the water would cascade right off of it and it would eliminate all water spots.
    Well I had to dry it, the product did not do what i was suppose to do, so I continue to stick with a good old fashioned paste wax.
    They say if you have a clear coat no waxing is needed, that BS..

I like having a fresh coat of wax put on very month or so,it tends to help repel bird **** from staining the paint.Also helps repel certain leaves that end to have a history of staining the paint.
    But It always seems I am on a quest in search of the best wax out there to use.So what do you use????

15. snowplowjay

snowplowjay Banned

I don't want to cause this post to drift from its original topic so please check your pm's my friend.

Jay

16. micah79

micah79 Senior Member

I noticed that you have the v-10. It has lots of power, but it is a gas hog. Be prepared for less than 10 miles/gal.

17. Mike 97 SS

Mike 97 SS Banned
    from U.S.A.

The V10 can be a gas hog, but only if you are on that gas pedal pushing it all the time. My good friend has a Dodge 2500 regular cab, 2wd V10 stick shift and he says it does really well considering what it is. He uses it for work and as an everyday vehicle. He did some mods to it too and let me tell ya, that truck goes pretty damn good for a 3/4 ton truck. He did something with the intake and put on a K+N air filter, headers, exhaust, roller rockers, and he put in a custom computer right from the dealership parts department. He also put much smaller wheels and tires on it for better acceleration. I think the Dodge has a better V10 than the Ford V10. The Dodge definitely seems easier to work on also from looking under the hood at them both. Mike

18. micah79

micah79 Senior Member

True, Ford's truck engines are virtually mid engine nowdays.

19. thartz

thartz Junior Member

So far the gas mileage has ranged from 8mpg pulling a 4500# landscape trailer (loaded weight) to 12.5 going to a rod run in Tennessee through the mountains.I'd say if you were in flat areas you could do even better.Now for all you guys with dark trucks I have some good news.I have a friend who has a buddy who details all the high end luxury cars at one of the local dealerships.He says he can put a coat of wax that will last one year.It's something from Blue Coral's professional line that he says he has also put on plows.I'll let you know how it goes.The power is really suprising.I've got a 73 Ford 1 ton 2wd dually with a built 390 and a nasty cam for pulling.It's crushes the v10 up to about 40 mph but after the v10 spools up it's nothing but taillights after that.Pretty fun truck so far.

20. Little Jay

Little Jay Senior Member

After checking it out, waxing it, and mounting a plow-pry off the Ford markings and replace them with Chevy stuff. It'll add years of kife to your truck:D