1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

new torsion keys

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by skidster32, Jan 19, 2009.

1. skidster32

skidster32 Member

hey guys, i wanted to know what all ur thoughts were on installing new torsion keys to lift my front end up. i have my torsion bars cranked (not very much), and timbrens on the front end, but my plow still seems to squat the front end pretty well. i wanted a second opinion before i did anything. thanks guys

2. got-h2o

got-h2o 2000 Club Member

It's not the "right" way to do it, but it works. You lose a lot of travel using them, not to mention it really throws the geometry of your ball joints off in the meantime. You will for sure want to run longer shocks or shock extensions if you do so. I've used them, but again, there's better ways..............better ways just cost more.

3. CityGuy

CityGuy PlowSite Fanatic

Key's? little confused what are they? What do they do?

4. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

Crank your bars up, keys are generally a waste of money because your stock keys will lift your truck usually high enough. Buy shock extenders or new shocks if you like the increased height after you try it to improver your ride.

5. ed39

ed39 Senior Member

yes stockers should do the trick, but if your bar is weak (like mine) the keys are awsome, get longer shocks and or extension

ps dont max them out trying to lift the truck 3inches you will wear the front end out alot faster, but for plowing i love it i can clear those high curbs now!!

6. skidster32

skidster32 Member

thanks for the input guys, i will not waste the money on keys, but i will look into new shocks if i decide to turn my bars up more. i think that would be wise.

7. skidster32

skidster32 Member

i was thinking, wouldnt the shock extension raise it up a little,depending on what size i can get? without having to turn my bars up more?

8. T-Trim

T-Trim Senior Member
    from NE OH

WTF. Are we plowing or off roading??? Stock is just fine. If its a little low just turn the bolt alittle bit. Like 1/4 turn at a time.

9. skidster32

skidster32 Member

i just asked a simple question...no need to get an attitude.

10. sweetk30

sweetk30 PlowSite.com Addict

guy with a snow way just had me install new tbars . he went 2 weight classes up and i told him he should have gone 3. now he wishes he had gone 1 step more on the bars.

bigger bars and then timbrens. or worst case firestone air shock kit for the front.

11. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

Yeah 1/4 turn makes a huge diff.:rolleyes:

12. skidster32

skidster32 Member

yeah, im gonna pull it in the garage tomorrow and do it, also a new alignment.

13. got-h2o

got-h2o 2000 Club Member

Lol, aint it. I went 13 turns on my 2wd!

14. BigLou80

BigLou80 Senior Member

I put one turn in on mine and raised my front end almost an inch so yeah a 1/4 would make a noticeable adjustment

15. got-h2o

got-h2o 2000 Club Member

Yeah right, you must have some really coarse bolts! So that must mean that I lifted mine 13" just by cranking the bars? Sweet!

I've owned about 20 trucks with torsion bars and adjusted every one. 1/4 turn won't do sh!t.

16. T-Trim

T-Trim Senior Member
    from NE OH

I hope you remember to unload the bar before turning in the bolt too? Just some helpful info. .

17. T-Trim

T-Trim Senior Member
    from NE OH

Sometimes it's not the height your adjusting. Your put more tension on the bar which is increase the payload that the front end can handle.And yes you can get maybe a max of 2 in of height out of stock bar set-up at the cost of the trucks front-end. If you going for height you need to change the set-up all together.

18. skidster32

skidster32 Member

can i get a heavier torsion bar? i have the plow prep package on the truck which usually
    comes with the heaviest factory torsion bars. but if i can get heavier ones id look into it, im gonna have this truck until it stops running so it might be worth it. thanks for any help.

19. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

GotH2O knows what he's talking about and I assume you do also, but 1/4 turn on your adjusters does nothing and most NBS trucks new keys are a waste of money. Too many sales people try and sell keys and they have no idea what they're talking about.

20. lilweeds

lilweeds PlowSite.com Addict

The answer is probably. Even a 3500 diesel w/ plow prep doesn't usually come with the heavyest bar.