1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

New Toro Snowmaster

Discussion in 'Residential Snow Removal' started by Ditta&Sons, Dec 1, 2015.

1. Ditta&Sons

Ditta&Sons Junior Member

This 'two-stage' snowblower looks interesting and I believe its the first year its been out. Does anyone have any opinions on this hybrid type blower?https://www.toro.com/snowmaster/
  2. kolwnmstr

kolwnmstr Senior Member

I was wondering when someone was going to make something like this.
  3. Broncslefty7

Broncslefty7 Senior Member

if only there was one with no cables, that would be the bread winner.
  4. maxwellp

maxwellp PlowSite.com Addict

It is heavy 131 lbs for the big one. I would not want to toss that in the back of a truck 25 times a storm.
    I still like the 32 lb. Toro 2 cycle ones. But the will become hard to find.
  5. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

^ i'd just run it up and down on some ramps . No need to put your back out throwing #32lb in to the back of a truck #25 times a night.

Really, 25 times?
  6. absolutely

absolutely Senior Member

They guys only used it once but said it was fast and threw the snow very far. They were impressed.
  7. RandallJ

RandallJ Member

I hate the first year of any new car/truck/product.. To many years working in a dealership.. :)
  8. derekslawncare

derekslawncare PlowSite.com Addict

Looks awesome, but like RJ above says, I'll let them work out the bugs first.
  9. Ditta&Sons

Ditta&Sons Junior Member

im concerned about the eod hard packed stuff left by the city plow, which can be a couple feet high with chunks of ice mixed in. this machine does have a steel auger to help with that but the middle of the auger has rubber pads bolted on.
    im really not a fan of the personal pace control system borrowed from their homeowner lawnmower

i posted this in the homeowner forum for that reason, and i didnt see another forum to post in being new to the site and not accustomed to the thread categories yet

thanks for the opinions

btw, i was at the toro dealer yesterday and the counter lady mentioned it has plastic drive parts
  10. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

Looks like an awful lot of plastic.
  11. derekslawncare

Plastic drive parts DOESN'T sound very reassuring.
  12. jonniesmooth

jonniesmooth Senior Member

new stuff

I agree. One year Sears came out with a 32" self propelled mower. Had to have it, ya know. Almost $500, it was broke in a week. Took it back to Sears, they wanted to fix it, I said "no thanks", got a refund. I looked under the drive cover, it was all plastic parts. sears doesn't make a 32" mower since then (I believe)

So 2 years ago Sears comes out with AWD mower (22") have to have it. Middle of this season, the front wheel is loose.Then my wife says one day,"the craftsman mower isn't happy) so I go look at it. The carb is pulled away from the engine! She apparently got it caught on something she was mowing under.
    I "fixed" it with a hammer.

I was always wanting a toro/exmark 30" mower. And I have seen a couple lawn guy videos on Youtube and they both are disappointed with them.
    So, not even going to waste my time or $1700 on one.

I wonder how the Toro hover mowers work? They have been around for a while, I guess, but new to me.

Ok now I'm way off topic.
  13. Ditta&Sons

Ditta&Sons Junior Member

plastic gearbox sound any better?
  14. derekslawncare

Nope, sounds like part of the "plastic drive parts".
  15. JSutter101

JSutter101 Member

I have a RWD Toro Personal Pace mower. Driving forward is great. Making turns and pulling it backwards is awful. There is quite a bit of resistance and the wheels don't want to move freely. If the Snowmaster is the same style drive system, it probably has the same issues as the RWD mowers.
  16. maxwellp

maxwellp PlowSite.com Addict

Your mower needs its drive system adjusted. It should not be that way.