1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

New Toolcat owner needs tips on snowblowing...

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by DEWFPO, Dec 20, 2008.

1. DEWFPO

DEWFPO Junior Member

A Toolcat newbie here so please go easy on me.

I've got plenty of experience using a front mounted snowblower on a 4WD tractor and I've got that down pat, but I'm having trouble setting the snowblower (72" SB-200) properly for a clean cut on an asphalt driveway.

The asphalt driveways I blow/plow are uneven front to back and side to side so a perfect scrape is impossible. With the tractor, the blower only had one pivot point, at the front of the frame where it attached. I adjusted the skids so that when I let the blower down into the float position, the snowblower's wear bar was right even with the pavement. This worked perfectly and I was able to get a clean scrape.

This Toolcat has 2 pivot points. The main boom and the rollback. I was never good at geometry so I'm at a loss here.

To get a clean scrape on the wearbar, I have the main boom all the way down & not floating, and the snowblower tilted forward (using the rollback) to scrap the pavement but that lifts the front of the Toolcat up a bit which reduces traction and it really scrapes along the ground (since my drives are so uneven), It's tough when I hit expansion joints and cracks in the pavement.

Putting the main boom in float appears to be worthless since the geometry is all off to allow the snowblower to float along the pavement.

I'm wondering if I should adjust the skids 'up' so I don't have to 'roll' the snowblower forward too much. The manual is useless on this as well but my gut tells me to brings the skids up some. I'm just wondering what technique(s) you experienced Toolcat operators use on a paved driveway. I hope it's as simple as raising the skids.

Thanks

DEWFPO

2. Kirby ent

Kirby ent Member

I took my skids off and yes rotating forward a little will srape better.

3. unimogr

unimogr Senior Member

This may not help you but I've got a Schmidt S3 blower and I run it about 1"+ high. I do this because it doesn't have anything resembling a trip edge and a piece of pavement, rock etc can become a projectile. I figure I can make neat with the plow.

I start out at PTO speed (2200 engine RPMs to make 840 pto RPMs) and in a low slow gear (like 9th or 10th in my case) then shift up til I feel the engine working. Too fast it clogs and too slow you're watching paint dry.

4. DEWFPO

DEWFPO Junior Member

Thank guys, have a Merry Christmas.

Plenty of snow to blow this December.

DEWFPO

5. Jon Geer

Jon Geer Member

6. Jon Geer

Jon Geer Member

7. DEWFPO

DEWFPO Junior Member

I can only wish that the areas I plow and blow were that flat and smooth.:)

DEWFPO

8. Jon Geer

Jon Geer Member

Come to Michigan and you can.:dizzy:

9. fulltiltwill

fulltiltwill Senior Member

Hey John
    Is that your Toolcat with a swing wing on it? Looks very productive. What is the top speed on one of those? Do you drive them from site to site or do you trailer them?
    Thanks
    Adam

10. leon

leon Senior Member

snow blower et. al.

The skids are a gauging tool to prevet damage to the auger and the fan from loose materials.

Add a rectangular type of frame to hold four or five- five of the rectangular kitty litter type of buckets filled with sand across the back of the cross auger housing as they are small and compact and lose the problem forever by leaving the boom in float.

The weight of the sand in the five pails will hold the blower down with simple gravity.
    buy bagged sand or if you have a sand pile etc. I suggested the bagged sand as it is mason sand

NO, I will absolutely not part with any of my kitty ltter buckets!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited: Dec 27, 2008
  11. Jon Geer

Jon Geer Member

Addamm,

Yes, that is my ToolCat. My top speed is 25mph, and I drive it everywhere, even to the McDonalds drive-thru.

We travel from site to site, it is an awesome unit.

Jon

12. fulltiltwill

fulltiltwill Senior Member

Thanks Jon
    I know what I saving up for!