1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

New to Western

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by DCJ inc., Sep 18, 2008.

1. DCJ inc.

DCJ inc. Member

well gentlemen, i was going to buy a BOSS. but it looks like im buying a used western. anyhtingi should know?

2. Quality SR

Quality SR PlowSite.com Addict

Why wouldnt you buy another Boss?

3. DCJ inc.

DCJ inc. Member

I was going to get a boss for this truck, but i got a better deal on the western. There both used plows and Id rather have the western.

4. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Dose it come with all the parts for your specific truck? If not it could not be the deal you think.

5. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Having the ability to swap between either plow and either truck is a much better "deal" in the long run...even if it costs slightly more initially. Only need one set of spare parts as well. :nod:

6. Quality SR

Quality SR PlowSite.com Addict

I agree. If you get a V all you have to do is change the control. All the wiring is the same.

7. DCJ inc.

DCJ inc. Member

i agree with you gentlemen, but i dont have a plow yet. this is my first plow. When i made this acount i had planned on getting the boss thats why it says that i use one. Ive always used other peoples plows and trucks. the reason why i want the western is b/c i have used westerns before and love them. Im sure Boss is a great blade but i've never used one. ussmileyflag

8. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Ok then back to your original question...the biggest thing to watch for is if it comes with the correct wiring and related hardware for your specific truck like Basher mentioned. Piecing Western stuff together gets expensive fast.

How old is the plow? Uni? Ultra? Does it come with the correct wiring for your truck?

9. DCJ inc.

DCJ inc. Member

the plow is just under a year old. its an ultra-mount which is the newest system i believe. and yes it comes with all the correct wireing and mount for my rig. i also have my choice of controllers, i think ill get the hand held, which is the best most reliable controller? I'm getting the whole set up and installation for $2600.00. all i have to check is the cutting edge, i forgot to do that. do any of you have any words of wisdom when it comes to buying used? ussmileyflag

10. Camden

Camden PlowSite Fanatic

$2600 for a 8' pro plow? That's not a bad price. You'll definitely want the hand held controller over the joystick.

Don't worry if the cutting edge is worn out, they are cheap and easy to replace.

11. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

$2600 for a nearly new Ultra is a good buy indeed. Not too much to be concerned with on a plow that new. Rust and/or corrosion won't be much of an issue yet.

Give it a good look over for any damage, keep the connector plugs clean and greased and double check the hardware, hoses, and fluid and you should be good to go. :salute:

12. DCJ inc.

DCJ inc. Member

thanks for the input fellas, is there any curtain way i shoud ask them to run wires or install the frame. and im asking this bc like i said im new to plowing for myself and im a little nervous about putting a plow on my daily driver. its a 2004 dodge ram 2500 hemi. and another question i have is. you know how when you have a western or a fisher all the way up and that stupid triangle points to the stars, is there any way to prevent that. i stared at the ******* thing all last winter and it drove me nutzo. idk maybe im asking to much but thats the reason why i even considered BOSS, bc they dont have thast stupid triangle ******** ussmileyflag

13. Camden

Camden PlowSite Fanatic

Western's don't do that. Only Fisher :waving:

14. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Only solution for that is do not buy a chain lift plow. :eek:

15. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

The leaves you with a chioce between Boss, Blizzard ( at least for now, we don't know what will happen now that they're DDizzard:rolleyes:) or Snoway.