1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

New to using a spreader

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by JustJeff, Sep 24, 2014.

1. JustJeff

JustJeff PlowSite.com Addict

Question guys. I've never used a spreader before, but bought a v-box for this coming season. It's a 1.5 yarder. I was just curious, what's a ballpark on a yard and a half of rock salt weigh? Wanna know how much weight I'm going to be putting in the bed of my truck. Thanks.
  2. Jguck25

Jguck25 Senior Member

Roughly 2k a yard. So about 3-3.5k pounds
  3. mikeyd915

mikeyd915 Junior Member

What truck do you have? A standard f150 or Ram1500 only have a payload capacity of less than 1,500lbs.
  4. 1olddogtwo

1olddogtwo PlowSite Fanatic

I would look into Airbags. Its not that the 2500 can't hold the weight, it's just so it handles better. Just basic kits start around 300 or so.
  5. JustJeff

It's a 3/4 ton. Read my signature.
  6. JustJeff

Pat, do you happen to have a link to where I could find a good set?
  7. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

Firestone, air lift, ready lift....look at summit or jegs, or any 4 wheelin website. Always have them listed
  8. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

You could also look in to Timbrens, they don't have the regular air pressure maintenance Air Bags require, though if you go with the ultimate Airlifts they have an internal jounce or better yet add an on-board compressor package and air bags are the bomb.

IMO Salt is really hard to pin point weight on. The larger granular solar salts when dry can be as little as 1000 lbs but as the grain size decreases and the moisture content increases the weight goes up.

I carried a 2 yard SD for a couple years in a 2005 dodge with Timbrens, it handled it well, the tires where the weak link. I'm carrying a Snoway 2 yard poly now in a 2014 dodge with no assists and it's had some WET road salt in it that I bet was close to 2.5K a yard.

Last edited: Sep 25, 2014
  9. JustJeff

Thanks Basher. I've been looking at the upgraded Air Lift system with the onboard compressor and wireless controller. Looks like about 700-800 for the unit complete and then another couple of hundred to have it installed. I may go ahead and invest in this. I've already got the timbrens in front, but may consider the air bags up front as well.
  10. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

About right, check the instructions for the required clearances between your tire and inner fender well particularly if you are not running OEM tire, rim combos.