1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

New to us, or new new, truck question

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by agurdo17, Dec 15, 2011.

1. agurdo17

agurdo17 Senior Member

So we run three trucks and one of them has about met its maker. About time to trade it in. Trucks are absolutely outrageous right now. We are considering anything from a new f550 to a used 2500hd. One of our trucks is an 01 2500hd and is a great truck. I looked at an 06 2500hd 6.0 today and went inside and asked about it because it looked like it had between 20-70000 miles on it. Absolutely gorgeous truck for the year. Not even much for surface rust on the frame. Guy told me it was 10,000$ i said why, he said it had 165000 miles on it. We do mostly commercial work and need reliable equipment. I guess what i am asking is if anyone has ever bought a truck like this and had a good experience. Truck looks like brand new for 10000$ it has new brakes and brand new tires...

opinions on good or bad idea. Spend 10000 grand or go buy a new one....

2. buttaluv

buttaluv Member

Its a toss up...spend it now, or spend it later! i personally don't like the thought of using a new truck the way I do. Good Luck

3. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

If it was me,,the 165xxx would bother me. 6.0s are good, but they still have there issues. One thing that I'm not a fan of is there lack of power. If your towing a piece of equip. it really doesnt have the ba**s imo. we have all gms at work and no one really likes the 6.0s for towing. just my .02 goodluck and happy truck hunting to you

4. agurdo17

agurdo17 Senior Member

well that was the other thought we were throwing around in our heads. Right now we have a 2001 2500hd 6.0 in great shape. 2003 ford f350 5.4 rusting out. 2009 f350 dump body v10.

The v10 pulls great but bad on gas.
    The 01 2500hd pulls ok but like you said no guts on any kind of incline.
    So we were also considering getting into a diesel possibly.
    Looked at a 6.0 ford diesel but afraid of all the problems.
    Found a 7.3 diesel but they want so much for even a 2002/03

5. dieselss

yea the 7.3s are pricey!!!!!!! its kinda a toss up, towing vers economy. I do know that the 6.0s have major issues but if your a tech or have an open wallet you'll be fine lol. I hate to say it but maybe another v-10 and just dont worry about econ. or find a cheaper 7.3
    :confused:

6. But a dodge

7. dieselss

I personally cant speak for dodge, so I cant say one way or the other. I dont like to bash what I dont know.

8. We got a few dodge diesels wouldn't trade it for the world. As long as you leave it stock and take care of it, it's going to last

9. agurdo17

agurdo17 Senior Member

i am not brand specific. honestly dont really care. just looking for best bang for buck that fits our needs. only thing that drives me nutz about the dodges is we want a white reg cab. god seems like 95 percent of the trucks are quad cabs.

10. dieselss

Hummm thats odd. most people that i know that plow with reg. cabs hate them b/c of the no seat adjustment. but thats just me.

11. agurdo17

agurdo17 Senior Member

we also do construction. Not having an 8ft bed blows when doing construction and contracting work. You are correct as we do not like the reg cabs....

12. dieselss

ah ok that makes sence

13. agurdo17

agurdo17 Senior Member

How are the new hemi v8s in the 3500 dodge chassis cabs.