1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

New To truck plowing

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by redbug2, Jan 27, 2011.

1. redbug2

redbug2 Junior Member
    from PA

Hello,

Big snow today in Southeast PA. First year with Meyer ST90 plow on my old 85 F250 Diesel.

Bought the plow for the old truck so I could do my 300 foot driveway.

A few neighbors have contacted me to do their driveways. My real job is prioirity, but the plow jobs will be welcome extra money. With my full time job and I don't want to commit to servicing clients. Told them that if they could wait until I got home from work I could help them. Also told them I'm not insured so if I dig up a railroad tie we will have to work together to put it back in.

First driveway today was huge and gravel, 800 feet. My customer was in the back of driveway, another homeowner was halfway down, they got a freebee. I put the skid pads on the blade and had to reverse a few times just to get through. I think next time I'm going to make an interum pass to keep the depth down. Skid pads even all the way up did not seem to take enough off the top... Told customer that would be the case and added I did not want to beat truck up with uneven driveway rocking my old truck apart.

Should I get some type of insurance? I'm not looking to make a killing.. I would sure love to make enough, 500 to 1000 over a season to help pay the expenses of the truck.

If you use the plow pads/skids I guess your just going to leave some snow on the ground?

I'm thinking that if I get a steady customer I'm going to stake their driveway.

2. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

GET RID OF THE SHOES drop the blade and pick it up just a little bit
    if you get paid to plow then you need insurance

3. redbug2

redbug2 Junior Member
    from PA

Went back, dropped the pads, worked fine.

Will look into insurance but probably just going to give up plowing for $$$. The money I save by having the plow for my driveway is enough to justify keeping it. Might help a few friends but nothing under contract, nothing commercial. Also learned today that the next time I plow "nobody" will be outside while I'm plowing..... I'll bet a lot of people have been run over during plowing, especially on residential jobs.

4. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

usually dropping the plow hard a few times and they get out of the way...... lmao